The crackle and hiss of flames devouring wood disturbed her rest and she rolled her head to one side. Several shadowy figures sat huddled around a small fire, their skin golden within the light of the flames. Blinking as she listened to the sounds of the forest she welcomed the fresh, clean scent of wood smoke and pine trees.

She shivered, cold, tired, but it wasn’t exhaustion, and no it was illness. She could feel body aching beyond her endurance and slowly, silently she slid back into the welcoming embrace of oblivion. The sound of the low mutters lulling her into safety.

“There is much infection.”

“She wears a collar perhaps that is what has stopped her healing.”

“Can you take it off?”

“I have no choice. I must try.”

“She will heal?”

“I do not know.” Whispered softly, a note of fear and doubt within the words, he stared at the sleeping woman. He could smell the illness, the poison running through her system and hated it. He could feel the anger, the rage boiling within his blood, pushing at his control, tempting him to violence. Lifting his head he inhaled a long, slow breath and closed his eyes. Soon, when she was well again, then they would find the reason behind this capture, this torment. For now they would wait.


Soothing touches reached through the darkness, through the drugs, and inhibitors to awaken her. Blinking slightly she opened her eyes a crack and stared. Above her the branches of a massive pine tree, the air was sweet with the smell of fresh, cleanliness, the odor of wood smoke and sweat. Turning her head as a cool compress trailed over her face she stared at the crackling fire.

Two males sat around it, hunched over a fresh kill. The sounds of their teeth ripping at the flesh teased her and she growled softly, shifting, rolling toward food. A sudden, heavy hand upon her shoulder pushed her back to her resting place and she closed her eyes, even here amongst the wilds she was a prisoner.

The pain and fever raced through her body, making her mind hazy, her will to fight limited as she felt the calm, cool wash of cold water over her skin. Closing her eyes as hands chilled by the water trailed over her exposed body she wondered who was protecting the Father and his Chosen.

“Rest easy my sister,” softly, affectionately the words ghosted over her easing her distress. “You are safe with us.”

“Father. Chosen.”

“Shh. Rest.”

“She worries not of herself.”

“The monster is with Father and his mate. She has stood watch over them before and was willing to die to save them.”

“The monster did this?”

“It surrendered her to the green monsters.”

A slow, calculating nod was the only response as silence settled upon the camp. First would be healing the wounds, healing the agony of one of their own. Then there would be revenge. Soon, very, very soon they would hunt…not for food but for blood.



Logan sat on the back deck and watched the kids racing around the yard. Their childish games had them racing over the scars from the battle that had saved them. He eyed the freshly sprouted grass, the long, deep gouges within the ground and grunted angrily. The wind shifted, sending a wave of smells toward him, reminding him of all that had been lost.

“You miss them don’t you?” Rogue whispered settling next to him, a cold beer in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.

“Something ain’t right, baby. They knew this was a safe place for the. Knew I wouldn’t let the army get ‘em. He would have brought her back here if she’d run.”

“Maybe they’re just laying low.”

Logan turned to her and smiled softly. “She would have come to you. She would have said something instead it’s been too quiet. Not to mention the way Red’s been acting lately. There’s something off about her, and I’ve caught the stench of military on her once or twice. Usually when she comes in late at night.”

Rogue sighed, “If she’s responsible for Weapon’s disappearance then we’ll deal with her. Right now we need to find out where Weapon is, find a litter mate. Cerebro won’t pick up any of them, Weapon’s mind is too abstract for that.”

“I’m gonna give it a few days then I’m gonna go look. I may have had no say in their creation but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna stand by and watch ‘em being destroyed.”

Rogue smiled softly and curled up against him. She knew as well as he did the cost that Weapon was willing to pay to keep them safe. They both knew that something had gone horribly wrong and it was up to them to find out what.

Logan stared at the tree line that bordered the back ‘lawn’ of Xavier’s, every instinct within him telling him that there was something wrong. Glancing behind him he sniffed subtly, inhaling the scent of the students, the teachers, the vegetation but no hint of Weapon or her brother.

“Where are you?” He muttered under his breath.

With a low snarl he turned to glare at the tall, beautiful red-head who watched him closely. “What the fuck do you want?”

“Logan, what are you doing out here? The party is inside you know.”

“Where are they?” Logan snarled rising to his feet and advancing toward her. “I know you did something you shouldn’t have so you better tell me…”

“I don’t know. I don’t keep track of those that wander through here. They’re gone, leave it at that.”

Logan shook his head and sneered at her. “You better pray nothing’s happened, Jean. If it has, if for some reason the army got her, she’ll come back here and rip your heart out. And I’ll watch.”

“Logan there are more important things to consider. We have two hundred students that need to be protected…”

“Their best hope for protection was her and her brother.” Rogue ground out and rose to stand with Logan. She stepped past Jean and paused in the open doorway to glance back at her with hatred and banked rage in her gaze. “And you might want to shower before you rejoin us…you smell like a military base.”

Jean paled as Logan and Rogue stalked off, her legs giving out on her and she slid down the wall to land on her but on the cold cement. Dear God, what was she going to do now?
Whimpering in agony as her litter mates tried to get her collar off Weapon stared upwards into the clear, pale blue of the morning sky. The others were barely covered, their skin warm to the touch but she was chilled, her jaw shook with each tremor. An annoying tickle trailed down her temple, sweat rolling slowly along to soak her hair.

“I can’t get it.” A strained grunt before the pressure around her throat was released.

“Let me try.”

Like shadows on a wall, figures moved, danced around her. The pressure around her neck returned, bringing with it heat that scalded her very soul. Still she didn’t cry out, refused to make a sound other than the odd whimper. Tears joined the sweat streaking her face, unnoticed, as the torture continued until she gasped. Like a flash of lightening the pain, the discomfort all stopped.

Gone was the searing wash of electrical current, gone was the stifling feeling of something around her throat. And with the release of the collar a new pain, a welcomed throbbing crested within her. The familiar tingle of flesh being repaired, of infection being destroyed, of her very life coming back drew a giggle from her a moment before she slid into a deep sleep.

“It will take time?”

“At least a full cycle of the moon to heal completely. She will need to be watched.”

“We will wait to retaliate. We will guard our own.”

“I will go and see the Father and his mate. I will ensure they are safe and return.”

Rising he glanced at the assembled males and females. Sisters, brothers, siblings from the same litter they all had one purpose in life. To save the man who had saved them. He knew Weapon was unaware of how many siblings she had, she’d left the pack long before he had but he was certain she would welcome their aide.

Fury within the pounding of his heart, he turned and glanced southward. A slow, evil grin crossed his face as he blended into the trees as silent as death. He would check on his father and return to his sister. When she was able he would lead her to the monster, he would watch as she destroyed the other female, and he would take his pleasure on the Monster as the guards had on his sibling.




With a couple of beer in his hand, Piotr walked along the freshly healing scar from the battle. Ahead of him he could see Logan as he walked the tree line, the older man’s shoulders tensed, his fists clenching and unclenching, a look of black rage upon his face.

Purposely stepping on a twig to get it to snap, Piotr smiled at Logan who glared back at him.

“Somethin’ you wanted, punk?”

“Brought you a beer.” Piotr held the golden liquid up for Logan to see. “Rogue said something about a headache.”

Logan nodded; Rogue had been getting more and more headaches of late. Both looked at it as a sign that maybe, just maybe Weapon was closer to them than the enemy. “Thanks for the beer?”

“You still lookin’ for ‘em?”

“Yeah. What of it?”

“Nothing. Just seems like a waste you know. They risked a lot to save us and got ran off for their troubles. I still don’t get it.”

“Get what?” Logan barked.

“Why they did it. Why risk life and limb for people they’ve never met?” Piotr replied softly.

Logan froze and glanced out over the trees before turning back to the tall, Russian kid. “Because that’s what they do. She chose Rogue to help, marked her, gave her protection that she didn’t have to.”

“I can see that. What I don’t understand is why? Come on Logan, we both know that as much as Rogue instills the need to protect in others, it isn’t enough of a reason to go to war against a force that’s ten or even twenty times more powerful than you.”

An indifferent shrug was his only reply. Patiently, Piotr waited, somehow knowing that Logan would tell him in due time.

“You seem awful interested in Weapon and her brother.”

“She’s a beautiful woman, got skills to.”

“She’s a killin’ machine. She was made for a purpose and it wasn’t to sit and have afternoon tea with.”

“That’s never been the point.” Piotr admitted. “She looked terrified to be inside that night. Not only that, I heard about how she reacted to Dr. Grey…”

“Don’t get me started on that woman. She’s up to something and I don’t like it.”

“Logan you aren’t going to do something impulsive, are you? Don’t go poking into matters that don’t concern you.”

“If she’s done what I think she has, it concerns me. It should concern everyone. She’s supposed to be on our side and yet she can betray us? I’m not interested in Dr. Jean Grey’s health.”

Piotr nodded and watched Logan turn to the trees for a moment. A moment later he fell into step with the older man as they made their way toward the mansion. “Who are they, Logan? Who are Weapon and her brother?”

“Experiments.” Logan grunted as he grabbed the door knob of the patio doors. “Tools that the army made to destroy what they couldn’t understand.”

Piotr nodded, he still didn’t understand what it was about them that had Logan so tied up in knots but he knew better than to poke, prod and disturb the Wolverine. He watched Logan stalk off, probably to go to Rogue, to sit and brood some more and shook his head. They all needed to know what had happened, because if they didn’t sooner or later it would come back to haunt them.

Piotr cast an uneasy glance behind him and hunched his shoulders in defeat. Turning he started back for the mansion, unaware of the golden eyes watching his every move.