“You want a divorce. Do you want anything else? Money? Anything?” Bobby asked. They were walking in the garden, gravel of the path scrunching softly under their soles. Marie shook her head. Bobby chuckled.
“Figured that much… I guess Logan’s going to adopt Nate?” He asked. She stopped dead on her tracks, just staring at him.
“How… How did you know…” She stuttered.
“Heard the mission log. You guys forgot to turn off the radio,” Bobby said. She blushed.
“I… I’m sorry, I… I didn’t mean it to happen…” Bobby pssahhed and waved his hand.
“Don’t worry. At least I know you’re in good hands. Can’t say that I’m not jealous for you. The way you screamed, he must be an animal in the sack.” He cleared his throat.
“But that’s not what we were discussing about… You want Logan to be the father for Nate, right?” She nodded.
“Nate needs somebody reliable. I’m sorry, but you really haven’t been around that much…”
“You’re right. No need to apologize. Look… Do what you want to do. Bring me papers I need to sign when you have them ready. I have no claims over you or Nate. I just want to get this over with so that we can go on with our lives. Okay?” Bobby said, already backing away from her and Nate. She let him go when she turned to look in to the direction where he was looking and saw Logan walking over the lawn, somewhat grim look on his face.

She watched Bobby’s retreating back until it disappeared behind the corner of the mansion before she turned back to Logan who stood now behind her and Nate. Baby’s hands rose instantly and tiny feet started kicking when Logan tickled him from his stomach. Logan smiled as well, but his smile didn’t quite reach his eyes.
“What’s wrong?” She asked with trembling voice. This was it. The thing she had waited. The thing that would disrupt everything. She was certain of it. Logan cleared his throat.
“The thing I needed to take care of… Well, it’s taken care of. Everything’s just fine. I’m just… Oh, shit. Come here, both of you…” He stuttered, pulling them to his embrace. He was crying.

For a long moment they just stood there, Logan holding them both for dear life until he could get his feelings under wraps again.
“Me and Camille… It was already over. We ended it last week. It just wasn’t working. I was going over to her place, just to pick up some clothes I had left there. I stood there at least ten minutes and probably broke the goddamned doorbell before one of her neighbors came to tell me that she wouldn’t be answering that door anytime soon. She was robbed last week. The same night I moved out from there…” His voice trailed off and he grabbed Nate’s hand.
“She was robbed, raped and killed. And they killed Matt as well. Her son. Both dead…” He squeezed his eyes shut and pinched the bridge of his nose.
“And I can’t help thinking that if I had stayed the night, just gritted my teeth and stayed that fucking night no matter what Camille said, they’d be still alive!”
“Oh, Logan…”

She didn’t know what to say. Logan had obviously cared a great deal about Camille, no matter why or how their relationship had ended. And now the woman was dead. As well as the baby.
“Logan… About Matt… He wasn’t… Was he yours?” She asked. Strangled chuckle left from Logan’s throat.
“God, no! No. He wasn’t mine. Biologically. But we had an agreement with Camille. If… If anything happened to her, I’d take Matt and raise him. I was going to talk about that with her. I was going to tell her that my situation had changed. That I’d have to talk about it with you first. Well, won’t have to do that anymore…” Logan’s voice broke and he pulled her against him once again, careful not to crush Nate between their bodies.

“I know this isn’t the right time, but… Does this change things between us?” Marie asked. She hated to do this, but she had to know. Logan let go of her and they started walking towards the mansion.
“Doesn’t change a thing. But…” She stopped walking. There was always the ‘but’.
“I know you’re still officially married to Bobby and just moved out to be by yourself, but… Could I bunk on your couch? This whole thing with Camille and Matt, it left me a bit jittery and…”
“Of course! Of course you can!” Marie laughed relieved. She had been expecting more on the lines of ‘I need some time to think things through’. She hadn’t been expecting Logan to ask move in with her.

“But why on the couch? Bobby wasn’t having any problems with us. On the contrary, he said he was only happy that I was getting together with you.”
“Fuck, Marie… I’m not afraid of Bobby. I couldn’t care less about his opinions. But this shit with Camille… I don’t know what it might drag up from my mind when I sleep. I want to be there, I need to know that you and Nate are safe, but if I have a nightmare it’s safer for you if I claw that ratty couch instead of you two.”