Logan had left when she started nursing Nate. The baby was sleeping in his crib now, and she was twisting and twiddling her fingers nervously. She had left a message for Bobby on their bed, telling him that she needed to talk with him. If he weren’t too drunk when he got back home, he’d find her and Nate on his own.

Minutes ticked by, and formerly spacious room she had chosen as her living room started feeling cramped and suffocating. She walked to Nate’s room and sat on the rocking chair by the window. Rocked slowly back and forth, her eyes fixed to the clouds on the sky, ears perked up for Nate’s calm breathing. She closed her eyes.

Back and forth, over and over again. Bobby would soon be home. He’d come looking for her. They’d talk. Everything would turn out just fine. They could laugh it all off as a mistake, stay friends, Bobby would push no claims over Nate, and she could marry Logan. Logan could adopt Nate, and everything would settle down, as it should. Everybody would be happy.

Knock on the door interrupted her trail of thoughts. She stood up slowly. Would it be Bobby? She walked to the door and pushed it open.
“How long have you known?” Bobby asked, swaying slightly on his feet. She could smell the booze coming off from him in waves.
“Found out this morning. How long have you known?” She asked.
“Found out when you got pregnant. Do you want… Do you need anything? For you or Nate?” Bobby asked. For her relief he didn’t look angry.
“I don’t know… I really don’t know. This has all happened so sudden… But I want a divorce,” she stuttered. Bobby nodded, rubbing his forehead.
“I’m too fucking drunk right now. Can we talk about this later tonight?” He asked. She nodded. Bobby nodded, shuffling his feet awkwardly, his gaze falling to the floor, then jumping back to her eyes.
“For what it’s worth, I’m sorry. I wasn’t… I didn’t want to hurt you. I thought… Shit, I don’t know what I thought… But I’m really sorry,” he whispered. She nodded.
“I’m sorry, too, Bobby…” She croaked, then just waited until he turned and left before closing the door and collapsing on to the floor in a fit of giggles she tried to suffocate before she accidentally woke up Nate.

It couldn’t be this easy. It shouldn’t be this easy. There had to be something she hadn’t thought about. Something. Anything to crush her hopes for a better life. Bobby would change his mind. Logan would change his mind. She would change her mind. Anything could happen before it was all over and settled. Anything could happen even after that. And all she could do was to wait for it to happen.

It was well past dinnertime when she emerged from her room; Nate fed and placed to a wrap over her chest. Baby was gurgling and dripping milky goo all over her shirt. At least somebody’s happy, she thought grimly. Nate had no care in this world. If everything went according to plan, he’d think Logan as his father when he grew up. Bobby would be… Bobby would be just Bobby. Old friend of Nate’s mother. She could only hope that Bobby was okay with that. Why wouldn’t he be? It wasn’t like he had been that interested in taking care of the baby before. And no matter how big of a bastard this whole mess had made him look, Bobby wasn’t mean person.

It seemed that the whole mansion already knew about what was going on. She collected pitying looks, encouraging words and hugs as she went. No matter how hard she tried to avoid well-meaning people she seemed to stumble upon groups of them where ever she went. It wasn’t what she wanted or needed, and she had to restrain herself for not to start screaming at them.

She finally reached her destination. The door to her old room. The door to Bobby’s room now. She knocked on it. At first there was no answer, but when she knocked on it for the second time she heard a muffled noise.
“Coming, coming…” Lock rattled, then Bobby’s tousled head appeared to the crack between the door and the frame.
“Who is it?” She heard another man asking. Voice was coming from the direction of their bed. Bobby’s bed, she quickly corrected her trail of thoughts. Bobby turned back in to the room.
“My wife… Uh, could you wait for a moment? I’ll get dressed and…” He asked, turning back facing her. She nodded, and the door closed.

She leaned against the wall, stroking Nate’s soft hair absentmindedly. Baby gurgled and grabbed her fingers. It sure hadn’t taken Bobby long to find somebody else to keep him warm, she thought bitterly, but squelched that thought quickly. She had no right or reason to judge him.