“Need anything else?” Logan asked setting down Nate’s crib. She looked around. Crib. Nursing table. Rocking chair. A couch in the living room. A bed for her in the second bedroom. Logan had found the frame and the mattress from the attic. Closets filled with her and Nate’s clothes. Huge piles of diapers and bottles for Nate. Nate’s toys. Her personal items.
“You didn’t happen to see a bookshelf and a TV when you were in the attic?” She asked. Logan froze.
“Uh… I’m not sure. I can go and look…” She laughed and swatted his arm.
“I was just joking, silly! I need to go shopping anyway, I might as well see if I can find them from the city.”
“Are you going today?” Logan asked. She shook her head.
“It’s almost feeding time for Nate. And I’m going to wait until Bobby gets back home and go and have a chat with him.”
“Leave Bobby for tomorrow. He’s too drunk. He was barely conscious when I saw him.”
“Oh, what if he wasn’t just drunk? What if somebody had drugged him and…” Sudden worry crashed through her. Logan shook his head, sympathetic look on his face.
“I would have smelled the drugs on him. I’m sorry, kid. Your husband’s just as gay as it gets.”
“Who’s gay?” They heard Ororo asking.

She was standing at the doorstep of her new home, holding Nate who was looking around with curious eyes. When the baby saw Logan, it let out a giggle and reached with chubby hands towards him. Logan moved to take him from Ororo and balanced the baby to the crook of his arm.
“None of your business, Storm. But thanks for taking care of Nate,” Logan grunted, dismissing their friend quite rudely by closing the door right in front of her face. Marie was standing next to the couch; eyes screwed tightly shut and her hands clenched to tight fists on her sides. He sat on the couch pulling her next to him and wrapping his free arm around her shoulders. Nate gurgled and reached for his mother. Marie pulled the baby from Logan, nearly crushing the small life with her desperate embrace.
“How the hell I’m ever going to tell this to Nate? He’ll want to know when he grows up who his father is. How am I going to explain to him what happened?” She whispered, raining small kisses on Nate’s hair.
“Wait until he’s old enough to understand and tell him that his old man sucked ass or…”
“I think I’ll take the option number two.”
“Or you could hope that Nate looks nothing like his real dad and find a replacement.”

“It wouldn’t be right. I can’t lie to Nate…”
“Think about it, kid. You said it yourself; Drake has acted nothing like a real father should act. He may have squirted his swimmers in to you, but that’s about the whole extent of his attachment to Nate. Find a guy who’s willing and capable of taking care of you both. I think it’s better for everybody in the long run,” Logan said, smirking to Nate who was trying to crawl over his mother’s lap to him.
“Where the hell were you when I decided to hook up with Bobby in the first place?” Marie huffed tiredly.
“Fucking Camille. Or Laurie. Yeah. Probably Laurie. Or was it… Shit. What the hell does it matter… I wasn’t here. But I don’t think it would have made any difference even if I was here,” Logan grunted.
“Why?”
“Had I been keeping my eyes on you instead of other women, I probably would have noticed something was amiss with Drake, but do you seriously think I would have told you that?” Logan asked.
“But I thought you were my friend. Are my friend.”
“Yeah. Friends do things for each other. But friends do not stop you from making mistakes and learning from them.”
“What about your promise? Back in that train? You said you’d take care of me.”
“I only told you what you wanted to hear so I could get you back to safety.”
“It was a lie?”
“Come on, kid. How the hell I was supposed to take care of anybody, when I didn’t even know how to take care of myself? I was a fucking drifter, a bum. And you were thrusting a pair of wings and a fucking halo to my direction. I only used what you gave to me and then left you to live your life.”

Logan stood up, taking Nate with him and walked to the window. She sat for a moment in silence. Then braced herself.
“What about now?” She asked. Logan turned slowly around to look at her.
“Was that a proposal?” He asked.
“I guess it was.”
“I have some things going on. I have to take care of them first. And you have to end it with Drake.”
“Was that a ‘yes’?” She asked.
“Yeah.”