Amazingly enough the other shoe didn’t fell. Not before they had been married well over a year. Marie had quit in the X-Team and accepted Xavier’s offer to start teaching art for the younger students. Logan being Logan got in to scuffles and brawls at the missions as well as outside of them, shaking the after effects of them easily. Nate was growing up and suffering all the same illnesses and difficulties as other kids of his age. It wasn’t until the prescription of Marie’s birth control ended, and due to her busy schedule she couldn’t replace it before she realized that something was wrong.

They had discussed about having children of their own before, so it wasn’t a problem to let it slide and go on with their lives without any kind of protection.

Two months later she started to wonder, lying snuggled up against Logan, still all tingly and exhausted.

Three months later her wondering turned to worry.

Six months later when nothing had happened she turned to Jean.

“As far as I can tell there should be no reason why you shouldn’t be able to have more children. You recovered from having Nate well and everything is working as it should,” Jean said going over her charts.
“I’m sure that if you just give it some more time…”
“Time isn’t an issue. I guess I just expected it to work sooner,” Marie stuttered. Jean patted her hand reassuringly.
“Knowing Logan I don’t blame you,” older woman smiled.
“But give it just some more time. Or if you’re really worried, perhaps Logan should come and get tested as well?”

She thought about it. Logan tested? For what? She asked about it from Jean.
“Considering Logan’s mutation there really shouldn’t be any reason why you two wouldn’t be able to have children, but… There’s a slight chance… I’m so sorry, but I should really discuss about this with Logan before talking to you. Doctor-patient relations and everything…” Jean said. She nodded.
“I’ll talk about it with Logan. How soon you’d have the time to do the tests on him?” Marie asked, anxious to get some answers.
“How soon can you persuade him to come and see me?” Jean asked.

Logan was in the garage fiddling with his truck. She didn’t have the slightest of clue of how to ask him. Care to go and get your sperm counted, honey?

She watched from the doorway for a long moment. Staring at his denim-clad rear and rippling back muscles certainly did nothing in clearing her thoughts, and when he turned around, wiping his oily hands to a rag, his brows raised questioningly she felt like fleeing from the scene. To hell with it all. They had Nate. Wasn’t that enough already?

“What’s up, kid?” Logan asked, reaching for a wrench. She busied herself by adjusting Nate’s clothing, her thoughts running rampant and her heart hammering in her chest.
“Nothing. It’s nothing,” she huffed. She could hear the wrench clatter against the concrete when it fell, then Logan was suddenly standing right at her side, his worried gaze fixed to Nate and her, his nostrils flaring.
“Bullshit, darling. I haven’t seen you this nervous ever. What’s wrong?” He asked.

She fiddled with this and that, opening the top buttons of Nate’s shirt and buttoning them up again until Logan grasped Nate and took him from her. She was about to protest, it would take a small miracle to get oily stains out from the pale blue shirt, then decided just to blurt it out.

“I went to see Jean. She wanted to see you and do some tests.” For a long moment one could have heard a needle fall in the garage. Logan was barely breathing, his hold from Nate tightening to a point where the boy started squirming.

“Tests?” He finally asked.
“She tested me. There was nothing wrong. I should be able to have children. She said that we just might need some time, but she wanted to test you as well,” she explained, reaching for Nate. Logan let go of the toddler.
“So she wants to do what? Test my blood? Sperm?” He asked.
“I don’t know. She just said that she needed to do some tests.”
“Fine. How soon?” Logan asked, already relaxing.
“Can… Can you go today?” She asked hesitantly, not wanting to pressure Logan. Logan threw her a nervous smirk.
“Jean’s at her lab now?” He asked. She nodded. Logan ran a greasy hand through his unruly hair, then sighed.
“I’ll go and get cleaned up a bit first…”

She would have given her right arm to be with him. She knew very well that Logan wouldn’t refuse if she asked to go with him. She probably should have gone with him, but instead she kissed him quickly and thanked him, deciding to spend the afternoon out in the gardens with Nate. Having a full day off from work at the middle of the busy school week was something she didn’t have too often, so she wanted to enjoy it.

She realized that she really should have gone to see Jean with Logan when the afternoon hours ticked by and there was not a sign of him.

Jean told her that Logan had come and gone as soon as she had gotten the results of the tests. No, she didn’t know where he had gone. Jean had assumed that Logan would seek out Marie.

When the sun set and there still was no sign of him she was nearly out of her mind from worry. Nate was squirming at her arms, quite disgruntled from the way his mother’s attention was miles away instead of him.

She knocked on to the door. Rather sleepy looking Scott opened it.
“Hi. Uh… Could you guys watch for Nate for a while? Logan’s gone missing, and I really need to find him…” She started to explain. Scott took Nate from her, then glanced over his shoulder and leaned closer to her.
“He’s up on the roof. Has been for the whole afternoon. Told Jean not to tell you about it, but I think you really should go and see if he’s alright. Last time I saw him he looked… A bit pale…” He whispered with conspiratory tone.