Author's Chapter Notes:
Here we get a chance to see what would've happened if Marie *had* gone with everyone to Alcatraz and what happened afterward.
'Baby it hurts,
Course it will.
But why?
Because you think dyin is the heroes job sugar.'

**********************************************************

She hated this part of being on the team, they had to rotate around to fill the empty slot in the medical staff every week. It was her turn this week, so everyone else got to go kick ass while she spent time flicking papers over.
She was supposed to be doing some extra credit work while she waited for the team to get home, Hank was back as a medic here at the school. His time as ambassador not really eating into his commitments to the school. So she kicked her heels and blew out air in the sterile surroundings. Wishing she were out with the rest of them, doing the ass kicking, her own inner peice of Logan needing some exercise. It was only later that she was glad she hadn't been there.

When the siren went off they were only fifty miles away from the school, Hank went instantly to the comm and flicked it up. Ro's voice was hurriedly relaying news and Hank stiffened up, snapping the comm link shut he bullied her into action. The room was made ready for a trauma case, several pints of blood were standing by and finally the cool calm training rose through. She did everything she was expected to do, waiting by the hanger doors gurney ready for when the jet had touched down.

When the doors swished open on release she ran through with the gurney, the bodies of her friends looking dishevelled but whole. Confused she continued toward the jet it must be someone they'd rescued, waiting at the bottom of the ramp nervously she heard the scream of pain echo around the hanger and it was Kitty who reached out to her arm. Her fingers wrapping around her covered skin, her voice whispering 'I'm so sorry.' Bobby pulled her away just as the casualty made themselves known, Pieter and Ro' were carrying someone between them. Blood was everywhere, the tattered remains of a uniform could be seen and it was black leather.

Her world contracted for a moment, as if the world had suddenly tipped to the side and she wasn't in her own reality anymore. The injured man was Logan.

Her eyes took in the damage, assessing as she would any triage patient, his shoulder was a mess, the bone sticking out of the joint his arm hanging uselessy. His face was shredded, half of his scalp had gone along with his hair. There was a padded red mess that she could only guess at where his midsection had been. Pieter dropped him directly onto the gurney, helping her run to the med bay. Logan's cries echoing in her ears as they ran, her own sorrow lost for the moment as if he'd walk out of the blackbird whole an hearty again. Ro was following and she turned to the rest of the shocked beta team, snarling at them to get a report done. To clean up Logan's blood inside the jet and to be ready when she came for them. Whatever had happened Ro was *pissed*, so much so she was past calm and out of the other side.

Marie just concentrated on getting Logan to Hank, her eyes locked onto the mess that was Logan's stomach. When they burst through Hank was ready, gloved up, masked and waiting. Pieter and Hank moved him while she got her new gloves on, triple layering for everyones sake. Pulling out the spray plaster she sprayed her face and anywhere else that might show in her treatment of Logan. Whatever had happened to him was serious and when she turned back to see Pieter holding Logan down she almost broke. His cries were ripping her apart, they sounded so human, so filled with anguish and hurt. Yet to be like this something *bad* must have happened, as she moved the things Hank needed to him, she caught Ro's eye. Ro began talking telling the three of them what had happened.

They'd gone to pick up a couple of strays, they'd been contacted by the underground that they wanted to join them at the mansion. They went expecting a quiet pick up, what they got was an ambush, a human contingent had already 'dealt' with the mutants who'd been there to be picked up. So they did what they could, not briefed on how to fight they'd done the best they could. Thing was Bobby hadn't been on the ball, he'd been looking out for Kitty not seeing the danger approaching from his left. Logan had launched himself over a group to protect them, getting shot with something, he'd saved them but the humans had brought the building down on them. Logan had been crushed, his skeleton the only thing that had saved him. Whatever they'd shot him with was hindering his mutation, keeping him in pain. Hank turned to her and told her to get a blood sample from Ro, looking at the leader of the X-Men she understood what Hank was asking her. Logan had lost too much blood to take from anymore from him but Ro was covered in Logan's blood, there'd be what they needed in the stuff covering her. Taking her in hand Marie led Ro away and began swabbing her uniform, putting the fresh samples on slides and snipping the swab ends into the spectrum analyser. Flicking it on she waited for the machine, turning her head to see Logan quiet now, white padding covering the injuries that weren't healing. Ro' wandered over to his bedside tears running freely down her face, Marie couldn't do that yet she had to find out why he wasn't healing.

The machine beeped telling her it had finished it's cycle, tearing the sheet off she scanned the page using the knowledge she'd retained from her touches of others. The drug in his system had destroyed the Coenzyme A in his body, if they didn't stop it he'd be dead in hours. "Hank! Stop the fluids! It'll kill him, they've given him this..." she ran across and snatched the sheet from her. Eyes scanning the page he quickly undid the saline line and dropped a hand on her shoulder, his voice quick and measured.
"Get the sugar base solution, bring it here and get it in him. Pete, grab his shoulders this is going to hurt." Hank raced off to the cabinets, finding what he needed, he came back, a cannula in hand and a crushed powder. He took the sugar solution from her and mixed it with the powder, loading up the cannula Hank ripped off the stomach wrapping. Revealing the true damage to his system, Marie could see his tissue trying to repair itself slowly. Hank just fed the cannula into his body, flushing the entire thing into his open wound. Taking it out they all waited in silence, listening to the beeps of his vitals.

It took nearly an hour before they could all see the celluar regeneration, the wound was closing. Slowly, very slowly and when it looked like Logan was out of the woods for now everyone relaxed. Ro' turned to Marie, her hand resting on her shoulder and squeezed it tight. "Well done Rogue, looks like we've found your skill." She didn't feel together, inside she was shaking as the truth of the situation hit her. As Ro' left with Pete Hank saw her begin to shake and pulled her into a chair next to his bed. Hank didn't smile he just went to get more balanced fluids and another dose of Coenzyme A ready. Her hands covered in Logan's blood Marie just sat there blankly until Hank made her move and clear up the rest of the medbay. She'd done well but it wasn't over yet. Somehow she knew she wouldn't be leaving the med bay until Logan
did under his own steam.

**************************************************

It was two days later when Kitty finally made her appearance downstairs, she was bringing Marie her lunch. She'd taken her duties as nurse very seriously, she monitored him, changed fluids but at the moment Logan was still 'out'.

Kitty approached her and the words that she'd spoken to her when they'd first gotten back echoed in her mind. Kitty's face all pale and her eyes looking at Bobby, her mouth saying 'I'm so sorry.' When Kitty dropped the tray off Marie tackled her on it.
"What did you mean 'You we're sorry.'?" Kitty stopped dead her face going white, her fingers suddenly playing with her buttons on her shirt. Finally she answered her.
"We weren't looking, the attack came from the left of us, we weren't aware of it and Logan had to get us."

Marie screwed her eyes up as she looked at Kitty, usually she was the most observant of the team. She was the one who looked out after everyone, so what had caused her to look away? The answer walked through the door of the med bay, Bobby. His face was bruised but he looked pretty good from the place where Logan was at. Kitty went paler and her feet slid into the floor a little until she concentrated and brought herself back up. Bobby just looked between them both and Logan, his chin jutting out as he realised what had been going on.
"Kitty told you then?" Marie looked at Kitty who was trying to disappear entirely and she just nodded at Bobby her voice keeping neutral as she answered him.
"Yeah she was just tellin' me what happened." Bobby nodded and came closer to Logans bedside, his hands resting on the edge.
"We didn't mean for Logan to get hurt Rogue, we thought we were clear, half of the humans had just run and we thought it was over. Shit if I'd known that guy was there I'd have done something about it...."

It came clear in her mind, Bobby and Kitty had been in a risky situation and they'd let their hormones get the better of them. Mind you she knew the little part of Logan she carried loved to get it on after a fight, but at least he waited until they were home. Marie dropped off her chair and walked over to where Logan was resting, his heartbeat colouring the air with a steady rhythm.
"You thought you were 'clear'?" Bobby lifted his face to look at her, the light sparkling in his ice chipped gaze. The coldness running out of him to freeze her own dark gaze, Bobby wasn't sorry for hurting Logan he was sorry he got caught with Kitty.
Shifting herself Marie straightened her gloves on her hands as she walked around to put herself next to Bobby. Kitty was approaching them both and Bobby was about to reach out to Marie to comfort her when her arm snapped backwards. Bringing a punch round she let her entire body weight go into the blow, tapping the knowledge she had from Logan and Magneto. Bobby's head snapped upward so fast she heard his neck crack, the blow had him stumbling onto Kitty. When they landed together Marie stepped over so her shadow covered them both, rubbing her knuckles to soothe the ache that the blow had echoed up her arm.
"Get out! Ya don't deserve ta be down here, either of ya! Logan's sufferin' cos ya couldn't keep it in ya pants!" Her gaze took in the blooming red patch her blow had given him adding to the pain of his already bruised face. Waving a finger at Bobby she punched the air over his cheek, "An if Ah even hear of ya tellin anyone anythin different the next time ah hit ya Ah *won't be wearin gloves!"

Marie backed off then, letting the pair of them get out from under her feet, she was annoyed enough without killing Bobby. When she heard the doors swish closed she blew out her breath and went over to check on Logan.

When she got there a scent wafted up to her nose, not a nice one either and she soon found the cause. Hank had told her that it'd probably happen sooner or later, the human body will repair what it can and then the next thing it's business as usual. Except this time the 'business' was currently spreading out under Logan's thighs. His intestines had been perforated and so they hadn't expected him to be producing 'solids' but he had and the cleaning duty dropped to her. Oh well she might as well go the whole hog and give him a sponge bath as well. Trying to objectify the man in front of her as a patient, someone in need seemed to quell the rushing of her emotions. She'd just punched Bobby out for being an idiot who couldn't control himself, she'd suck it up and get him clean. After all he'd do the same for her if the roles were reversed.

**************************************

Bowl of warm water, clean sponges, soap, towels, Hanks instructions had been clear, there were large diapers in the cabinet next to the iv fluids if she needed them. But just the thought of Logan wearing one had made her stomach churn. She *really* hoped his body got the clue they were trying to give it sooner rather than later. Because she really didn't want to have to explain to him that she'd left him in bed with a 'nappy' on his butt.

Taking the sheets down his body she used the stirrups to keep his legs out of the way as she cleaned up the mess he'd made of himself. Keeping her thoughts on the stinking mess rather than the area she was attending 'to'. Soon it was gone, cleaned, a little disinfectanty but the mediswab smell would soon fade away. Taking the bowl filled with stinking water she disposed of it all, bowl included and brought fresh water over.

Pulling his legs back down, Marie began to wash the rest of him. His scalp had come back, although it was pink and very sensitive to look at it, hair was beginning to grow in again and she swore she saw a couple of grey ones in there. Taking the clean sponge she lathered up the sponge drawing it down his face, making sure to clean everywhere on his face. Getting in between the hairs in his sideburns, the scent of cigars coming out of the hair making her smile. Washing out the sponge and cleaning the areas again with warm water, soothing the muscle and skin as she went.

Working her way down his neck, taking the blood and dried skin with her, sloughing it off like a snake shedding a year. Soon the bowl was full of dirty water and skin flakes, taking it to the sinks she swilled the water away returning to him with clean sweet smelling water. Not seeing his nostrils twitch as she turned away from him.

*****************************************

She'd tried objectifying him again but she was failing miserably as she worked her way down his chest, her breathing was getting heavy as were her breasts. Taking a moment to clear her mind she took in the clean scent of his skin and whimpered to the empty room. Slapping her hand over her mouth Marie cursed under her breath, if anyone had walked in right then they'd have thought he had an effect on her. But looking at him laid out there in front of her she couldn't admit he didn't have an effect on her. He did, he *always* did, ever had since she met him but she wasn't here to ogle she was here to help him.
Shaking her mind of the thoughts she got on with her task, keeping the sheet between her gaze and his skin. It *was* easier that way, she couldn't see his naked body under the sheet so then he didn't actually *exist* to her eyes. That way she quickly finished washing his hips and genitals, leaving him to air dry rather than risking touching him again.

Taking the dirty water away with her to the sink she didn't see one part of his anatomy respond to her until she turned back round to finish the job. When she did turn back round she almost dropped the bowl, where there had been a nice flat area over his groin a moment before there was now a huge tent in the sheet. Shocked into moving she had to get him to relax, if someone came in....

Her eyes went to the door, she hurried over and threw the emergency lock on, no one would come through now unless they had a code key. Hank and her had one no one else, so it'd keep everyone but Hank away. Putting the bowl down on the small table her eyes kept getting drawn to the erection that lay between Logan's thighs.

One part of her mind was quite adult about it all, telling her that it was a natural reaction to the stimulus she'd given him. She hadn't *meant* to make him react but his body was calling the shots here not his *mind*.
Yet another part of her wanted to lift the sheet and have a good look at him, she caught herself raising her hand toward it when she snatched her hand away thumping against his thigh and pulling the sheet across the swollen length. Logan shifted in response to the movement of cloth, just a little and his vitals changed, even his EEG changed for a while. As if the stimulus had woken part of his brain up, but when it wasn't repeated it went back to the semi-coma state he'd been in.

Moving toward him, her gloved hand reaching for him through the sheet both sides of her mind in agreement of the course of action. If doing *this* brought him closer to healing and getting off his back down here then she'd do it. Of course it wasn't for her own gratification, she was helping Logan get better, but the darker part of her knew the truth. She'd been given a gift and she wasn't about to look it in the mouth.

Settling her grip around him she felt her grip slide too easily and she had to strip off her glove on that hand. Checking the sheet for tears first before reaching for him, trying to use his own memories for reference. Finding the grip he preferred in her head she shifted herself so she mimicking it, her fingers loosely wrapped around his base but tight near the head. Her own breath was heavy as she slid her grip up him, the feel of the heated flesh under her hand branding her skin. Seeing on the monitor the changes she'd seen before, heartbeat was up, blood pressure up. EEG was beginning to change as well, keeping half her mind on the screen and the other on what she was doing to him.

He didn't last long, maybe only a minute at most but the experience was one she wouldn't forget in a hurry. The way he'd shifted in her hand, the way the blood had pumped in the muscle in her grip. The feelings that it engendered in her own body, just watching his body tensing then release itself into a boneless slump. Hips and thighs so tense she could see the skin bristling, then slack as he'd emptied himself over her sheet covered hand. The dampness quickly spilling through the cloth, the scent of him filling the air, her own skin filling with a blush that reached every part of her body. Taking the dirty sheet away she made sure to keep her eye on the new one as she flapped it over his form. Tidying up she went to get her dinner, the lock snapping open and setting the beeper to alert her or Hank if things changed.

After dinner she'd let Hank take the night shift, she didn't really feel as if she could trust herself down there right now. Her emotions were all over the place, she'd *touched* him, and as good as that felt it also in one way disgusted her. She'd taken advantage of him, if he found out he'd be hurt, she wasn't even on his radar like that. She was 'the kid', his 'promise' to the world and he treated her as such. No she needed a little space, maybe tomorrow she'd do the night shift. Obviously she needed a little space between her and Logan, she was seeing things that weren't there.

That night Hank went down to a much improved Logan, his healing was coming on faster, the injuries were clearing slowly still and it'd take about a week to get him back to his normal levels of Coenzyme A. Checking on his medication Hank set to reading the notes Marie ahd left for him. Seeing her addition of a sponge bath he smiled as Hank could just see her doing that job. Little did he know that it was just that act that was filling Marie's dreams and they were anything but platonic.

**************************************************

The day off had been good but she still had the stink eye for Kitty and Bobby, Ro had already punished them enough though. They were on extra duties as well as training for the team, her own duties were on hold until Logan was up and around. Ro' understood her need to see him alive and aware, Hank had given Ro' his report and it looked like he'd be up about in a couple of days.

So when Marie went down for her night shift she brought her own camp bed with her. Hank had a cot but the space really was uncomfortable and it was all the way over at the far end of the med bay. She wanted to be closer just in case, so she set up her bed and sat on it. A good book and a small flask of tea to while away the hours.

It was two in morning when Logan's movement woke her from her napping, getting up she had a look at the EEG. He was in REM sleep, so he was dreaming, wiping her eyes she let the lights tell her what was going on with him. As her eyes adjusted to the low light level she caught his arm twitching, he was moving slightly and although he seemed pretty peaceful she knew how fast that could change. Checking her glove she reached for the hand and wrapped her fingers round his, putting herself near his ear she began to talk to him. Telling him about her day off, the way she'd been in the sun outside, sitting under the tree, just enjoying the day. Her choices for lunch and dinner and finally her visit to him here, his twitching stopped but his mind still showed he was dreaming. Whatever she'd said to him must have changed the dream for him, his blood pressure was going down again. Yet as she watched the screen it increased again and she was about to try again when the sheet caught her eye.

It was *rising*, again! Her eyes took in his eyes behind the closed eyelids and watched as his erection took shape. The darker part of her mind took over and she rested her mouth close to his ear, whispering into it.
"Sugar, Ah know ya can hear me in there. Would ya like me ta touch ya, like ah did before?" His eyes slid back and forth across his closed lids and the monitor sped up, his hand spasmed in hers gripping her for a moment and making her heart lurch.

Good Goddamn! He knew, he knew it had been her! When his hips tried to move she rested her gloved hand on his stomach. Just the weight of her hand seemed to settle him a little, seeing the form of his firm erection under the thin sheet her mouth suddenly dry but her own sex suddenly wet. Bringing her mouth back to his ear she whispered to him again, "Would ya like that sugar? Would ya like me ta touch ya?"
Her ears picked up the low rumble that came from his chest, his breath beginning to heave through him.

Sliding her gloved hand down his skin and onto the sheet where she raised it quickly and shed the gloves with her teeth. This time she kept her gaze on Logan, only listening to the beep of the machine registering his functions.
His skin was just as soft as last time but she needed something too, her hand was wrapped up in his grip and she slowly extracated herself from it. Putting it back on the bed as she slid up his heated length, her own body repsonding to the scent of Logans arousal. Slipping her hand into her underwear and pressing herself as close as she dare to the bed. She didn't notice his hand raise and drop behind her, resting on the curve of her ass as she concentrated on bringing herself and him to a successful end.

******************************

Marie....

He could smell her....

And fuck did she smell *GOOD*!

All sex, heated skin, but there was a scent of medicine with her, his mind filling with images of her straddling his hips as he took her on a bed. Her voice telling him that she'd done this before with him and he couldn't help but growl about that.

Chasing the feelings his body was producing, losing the dream along the way to feel someone's hand around his dick. Stroking the flesh just *right*, the grip perfect and just as he neared his own climax he got a hit of pure Marie. Her voice stifled as she whimpered his name, the words driving through his brain, this was *real* and he exploded over the grip she had on him. He was still coming down when he felt her gloved hands on his skin, cleaning him tenderly. Her satisfied scent lodging in his nose and finding it one he wanted to wake upto if he could.

As sleep took him under again he heard her voice whispering in his ear, "Hank'll be here in the mornin sugar, time to let ya get some rest." He even caught the rest of her words, "Ah wish ya'd remember some of this, just a little, maybe then ya'd see *me* an not a *kid* ya have to look after." Just before he slid away he heard her sigh as she got back into her bed beneath his own. A smile on his face as he let himself fall away, after this there was no way he'd ever see her as a kid again. His dreams were pleasant from then on, he only hoped she'd be there when he woke up.

**************************************************

He did wake, at 7.17pm.

Marie wasn't there but Hank was and he kept him in the med bay until he was sure that Logan could walk on his own. When he checked out Hank made him go direct to the kitchen, he needed food and he rang ahead to tell someone to expect him. Only then did Hank release him, Logan for his sins was starving and he'd seek Marie out after he'd eaten. After all he'd probably need the energy.

The kitchen was occupied, someone was in there and he'd expected Ro' or one of the other brats. But it was Marie. She was just finishing a pot of something on the stove, when he made a chair squeak across the floor. Her smile froze when she saw him, her nerves rocketed as he didn't move his gaze from hers.
"You're up!"
"Uh-huh, Hank just released me."
Marie busied herself with getting him a bowl of food, when it was filled she walked it to him along with a small loaf of bread.
"Hank told me somethin light but nourishin, made ya some chowder." He took the bowl from her hand, being sure to touch her gloved hands.
"Thanks."
Her blush covered her skin as she sat opposite him at the table, "Don't thank me yet ya haven't tasted it yet."

He grunted and set to the meal in front of him, Marie just sat with him watching as he ate, devouring the way he tore the bread into peices. He needed fuel and he soon emptied the entire pot on the stove, patting his stomach he sat back. Filled and warm he saw her pride shining from her skin that she'd satisfied him in a way she could without killing him. Locking her to his eyes he spoke to her and watched her every reaction.
"Hank told me somethin' though, apparently I had some kind of 'incident' last night. It's on my records with the machines, sometime around 2am he said. You were on duty he said but ya didn't tell him about it, want to tell me if somethin happened?"

Her skin lit up like a beacon and her nerves sht through the roof, but underlying it all was a thread of excitement, a creeping arousal that was slowly building in the room. As he stood up and took his bowl to the sink he caught the hitch in her breath and the rise in hormone level. Turning back to face her red skinned face he spoke, "Marie? Did I try to claw you? He said it was when I was dreamin, REM sleep or somethin'." Her skin calmed down so only her cheeks were red now and she began to answer him.
"No it wasn't that....ya didn't....I mean ta say.....erm.." Logan walked closer to her until she was right against his body. His arms closed her into the tableand he moved his lips close to her ear and whispered into her.
"I *know* what it was Marie," her entire body shuddered as the words entered her mind, her skin sending him all sorts of interesting information. One of them being her state of arousal at having him so close to her and aware of what she'd done to him. Rumbling a purr through his chest he carried on, "An if ya want to see what else I can do, just leave ya door unlocked tonight."

He pulled away from her then, letting her see the intent in his eyes, the darkness she'd unleashed in him by her touch. She was about to say something when he just put up one finger, silencing the words in her throat. "Just because you've just found out how useful a sheet can be don't mean I haven't been thinking about it as well." Her skin went bright red and he left her with a small growl seeing her pupils widen as he did it.
Pausing at the door he turned back once to see her still frozen to the spot on the chair. "Remember Marie, door unlocked." Then he left.

************************************************

Bobby was coming abck along the dorm corridor when he heard something coming from Rogues room, the sound of voices. Heavy breathing, panting and the tearing of cloth, getting closer he heard a name come out of the wood and lodge in his chest. "LOGAN!"
The lilt to the word unmistakable and Bobby's world had just gotten a whole lot more painful. Logan was awake and he'd be doing details until he was sixty. Leaving them to it Bobby crawled into his own bed and pulled the pillow over his ears, tomorrow he'd ask for a different room. With all the extra work he'd be doing he'd need the sleep.