Author's Chapter Notes:
A sequel to 'Unearthing Marie', carries on from where it left off. As requested by 'Rogue' of Logan/Marie list, it's not a happy ending YET and inspired by Muse’s song 'Unintended', lyrics as follows. Oh, and thanks to domino for the flattering queen remark!!!
You could be the one who listens
To my deepest inquisitions
You could be the one I'll always love

I'll be there as soon as I can
But I'm busy mending all the
Pieces of the life I had before

First there was the one who challenged
All my dreams and all my balance
She could never be as good as you

You could be my unintended
Choice to live my life extended
You could be the one I'll always love

I'll be there as soon as I can
But I'm busy mending all the
Pieces of the life I had before

Before you.




Rogue crumpled to the floor, weeping. He had called her Rogue. He would leave. And she'd return to being all alone. Surrounded by people and all alone.

Isolated again, but this time it was self-inflicted...

Rogue couldn't believe what she'd just done. She had got what she wanted. Succeeded in hurting him, rejecting him the way he had her, when she first confessed her feelings for him. She thought revenge would be sweet, but she was wrong. She knew all the things he had told her were true, that he did in fact love her. Although he was wrong that she would chance anything and everything on love. She would only chance anything and everything on HIS love.

Rogue swallowed her tears, gulping for breath as she tried to focus on what to do. She didn't want to get hurt again, but could she really walk away from what could make her supremely happy? She realized long ago that she couldn't live without Logan, so on shaking legs she pulled herself up, off the floor.



Logan strode into his room, grabbing his duffle bag and slinging clothes into it. He had never known Marie to be so cruel, so distant. He thought about the day she had told him of her love, revealed every hidden feeling and bared herself, only to be met by his dismissal. He had been scared by the truth then and had been hurt by the truth now. He couldn't win no matter what road he took. So he was taking the road out of there, away from the spiteful memories and the woman he had loved and lost.

He scrawled a quick note to Xavier and left it on his bed. Picking up his things and looking around the room he almost felt sad for leaving.

Almost.

He stalked down the barren corridor and out to the garage.



Rogue ran down the stairs and into the hall. As she past the window, she slowed to a stop. She grabbed a pair of scissors from the hall's dresser draw and went out into the rose garden. She knew he would see them as an empty gesture, but to her at least, the roses were a token of admiration, a peace offering to go along with her never-ending apology. Storm would be furious of course, to wake up the next morning to find her velvet red roses with severed heads, but Rogue was beyond caring what other people thought at this point. This was about her and Logan and nothing else. Not about who hurt who or all the unanswered questions swirling in her brain, but about the fact that if two people truly love each other, then nothing should keep them apart.

Holding the roses, Rogue made her way to Logan's door. She took a deep breath as she knocked and turned the knob. Her soul uttered a silent prayer that she wasn't too late. Her stomach did a back flip as she looked around. It appeared God was too busy to be listening. His cigars and lighter were missing from the bedside table and the closet and draws were left open and empty. He was gone. She picked up the letter that lay on the bed and began to read.

'Xavier, Things are too complicated here. I have to leave. I think I'll take a train out of town. I'll call sometime and let you know I'm all right. Say goodbye to everyone for me. I don't think I'm ever coming back. Logan.'

The familiar sting of tears burnt in Rogues eyes as she crumpled the letter in her hand, wringing it between her fingers, twisting it like her heart. She bit her lip as the adrenaline immediately surged through her veins again. Maybe it wasn't too late. Maybe she could still catch him, he couldn't have got far. She flew out of the room, down the hall and out onto the street.




Logan wandered to the garage, snarling at the huge lock Scott had placed on both of the doors. He was kidding himself. If he crippled the lock it would set off the alarms and even HE wasn't prepared for that kind of noise, that late at night. He wouldn't be able to return the bike anyway, even if he loved the idea of torturing Scott with its theft. He'd grab a cab to the train station. Logan looked back at the house and to the only light on in the vast house. Marie's light. He exhaled unsteadily and turned to stroll down the driveway.




Marie was getting more and more frustrated. This was New York for Christ sake! Where were all the cabs? She stood on the curb outside the mansion for a few panic-stricken seconds, but couldn't stand waiting anymore. She'd used what had God given her. Her legs. She'd run. The station wasn't that far, just six blocks. She squeezed the roses tight in her hands, the thorns cutting into her flesh as she pelted down the street, her feet pounding on the concrete. She had to stop him, she couldn't lose him, she didn't want to be responsible for driving him from the only home he'd ever had and the only family he'd ever known. She turned the corner in the cold night, her glossy hair flying in the wind as she dashed through the streets to the station.




Logan stepped out into the street. He walked a little, dragging his feet as he replayed the conversation with Marie over and over in his head. If only he had played things differently. If only he hadn't said Marie. He could be lying in her arms right now. He turned onto a main street. At one in the morning it was only slightly busier, but he managed to hail a passing cab. He slid into the back seat, grimacing at the cheerfulness of the driver.

"The train station."

Logan stared out of the window, watching the streets become more crowded as the cab crawled through the city. A few minutes from the station, the road seemed to clog with traffic. The cab came to a stop and a disgruntled Logan sneered at the sight of total gridlock. It was definitely not his night.

"Looks like an accident. We could be here for hours, you may as well walk, it's only a few streets away," apologized the cab driver as Logan handed him the money and slipped out of the backseat, slamming the cab door behind him.

He waded through the cars, dodging the tight traffic and their beeping horns. The street was well lit by neon signs and car headlights and the water from the earlier rain reflected the light, making the road shimmer. Logan edged and weaved in and out of cars to find the end of the street. The wind was picking up and as he rounded the corner, his feet were met by a cloud of red rose petals, playing in the breeze.

Looking at the chaotic situation before him, Logan instinctively surveyed the scene. He stared at the car with the shattered windscreen, the shaking driver repeating the phrase, "She just stepped out in front of me, I couldn't stop..." the crowd of people leaning over the victim, obscuring his view.

And at the rose petals. What seemed like hundreds of them, scattered to the wind. Trails of red like the darkest shades of blood and wine. Logan took a step forward but stopped, feeling something hard under his boot. He looked down, lifting his foot, to reveal what lay on the road. A pool of blood cradling a chain and a set of dog tags.

Logan felt as if someone had just cut his throat. Robbing his lungs of air. It couldn't be. It couldn't.

But it was.

He ran towards the crowd, pushing people aside. "No, God, no..." There on the floor lay Marie, battered and bloodied, sprawled at her lover's feet. Logan took a step back at the horror that confronted him, his legs giving way and forcing him to involuntarily kneel beside her. Her hair was covering part of her face and her clothes and skin were smeared with blood. Her tiny body looked so fragile.

Broken.

"Nobody touch her!" Logan yelled at the surrounding crowd.

Being unconscious and unable to obtain control, her powers would be in full force, evident from the last person who had tried to help her, a man resting comatose on the sidewalk. Logan took her face in his hands. Protected by her hair, he gazed at her sweet face. He brushed the chocolate strands from her closed eyes, the hair clutching at the thick lashes of her closed eyes. He would prove now, beyond a shadow of a doubt how much she meant to him. He tried to send a mental message to awaken Xavier, attempting to inform him of the events that had taken place. But as he stared down at Marie, he knew they'd never arrive in time and realized what he would have to do. While all the people surrounding him looked on in awe, he bent down and gently kissed her. The warmth of his mouth slowly heated her freezing lips, and he felt the start of that memorable pull. That familiar feeling of being drawn into her, drowning inside her body and mind. He swore he sensed a breath against his lips before his vision began to fail. He fell back to the harsh and unforgiving ground and everything around him went an ominous raven black...