Author's Chapter Notes:
You should read my other Creature Fics or else this will make absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Logan was pacing. He was literally wearing holes in the carpet. Jean looked at the large holes, pain in her features. Those were $300 carpets.

Rogue's closest friends were in the room. They looked nervous and worried. Bobby was also pacing back and forth. Jubilee was snapping her gum. At a particularly loud snap, Logan's head also snapped up.

"Stop that." He growled.

Jubes took her gum out of her mouth and threw it away.


Rogue looked at the tawny man in front of her. She had been sitting here for two days and the weather had gotten worse every passing hour. That usually meant Storm was upset over something.

"You know, we are going to starve unless you go huntin', furball." Marie drawled. Cougars eyes narrowed to slits and he said, "Unless the weather clears up, we're gonna go hungry."

"But why? I want some food now, and if you aren't gonna go for it, I am." She angrily snatched up his bow and quiver, then stared down at the murky water below them. "Okay, when the hell did it flood?"

The muddy river looked like the Mississippi after a big storm. Tree branches, bloated deer, shrubbery, and little pieces of debris floated on by. There was no way in hell she was going to find a decent thing to kill and eat in this weather.

"Damn it all to hell." She grumbled as she tossed the weapons in the corner and sulked.

Cougar looked mildly amused. She was sulking now and looked as beautiful as ever. His plan was working out perfectly. Well, OK, the storm had not been part of it, but hey, if the waters did not recede soon, they would both die of starvation and that was a win/win situation.



Logan was still pacing.

Bobby had gone to bed, worn out with worry and grief. Jubilee was not far behind him. Storm was in a bad mood and the weather showed it. Xavier was sitting and brooding. Jean Grey was reading a book. Scooter was dozing/watching Jean.

And Logan still paced.

Then a sudden thought came to him and he looked at Storm. "Ororo, you're making it rain, right?"

"Yes, Logan, I am. Why?"

"Because if they are nearby, chances are they are either trapped or drowned." He looked at her accusingly. "So just stop the little spring shower, huh?"

Jean looked up suddenly. "Logan, if they are trapped, this flood has been going on for two days. Would they be able to get anything to eat if they had no food to begin with?"

"Not a chance." Realization struck him suddenly. "But they would now be weak and you could probably find them in time, right?"

"No Logan." Xavier looked up at the man. "You have been up for 72 hours. You need your rest. Go to bed and we'll look for them in the morning."

Normally, Logan would have protested. But then he realized that he was indeed tired and would do Marie no good in this condition. But he still paced.

Jean looked at the holes that were starting to grow in the expensive carpet. She sighed and started to get up silently.

And just where are you going?

Jean looked down at Scott, who was staring straight back up at her.

I'm going to save what is left of my carpet.

Jean, what do you mean by that? Jean?


Jean Grey braced herself and then threw her weight at Logan, who was caught off guard and went flying across the room with her. The room fell silent as even Xavier's jaw dropped, amazed at her audacity. She simply stared at them, "What?" and then turned her gaze back to Logan.

"Logan, stay off the carpets unless you can pay for them" Jean calmly picked herself up and went over to Scott, who sat up and meekly followed her out of the room. Everyone just sat and stared, especially Logan who had forgotten he was on the floor. "Ooookaaaay." Ororo said and left the room, shaking with silent laughter. One by one, the others filed out, their comments causing a red-faced Logan to consider skewering someone. That thought immediately sobered him as it reminded him of his first encounter with Marie's power, sapping all hilarity from the moment.

He went to his room after that and dreamt of Marie. 'I wonder what she is doing now...' were his last thoughts before he slipped into the land of slumber. If only he knew...



Marie looked back up at Cougar. He was no longer pacing.

The Logan in her was growling for a fight. He wanted to take down the fluff ball now. But Rogue would not allow it. Logan, with his healing power and unbreakable claws, might be able to take him down, but Marie had no such defense. All she could do was drain him dry. Even then he would win, because he would be in her psyche. He would be within her, and she knew not how to purge him from her mind.

The good part was he was asleep. The bad part was that the damn river had flooded again. She would be killed if she even attempted it. Oh well, it was still worth a shot.

So she ran to the mouth of the cave and jumped in.



Logan twisted his hands into the sheets. He was having another nightmare. Only this nightmare was not the usual nightmare of the operation that gave him the metal skeleton.

This nightmare was about Marie.

She was having the operation.

He was powerless to stop it.

It was horrible.

He felt someone touch his shoulder and he reacted automatically. The claws came out and he heard them go through something soft. And warm. And sticky.

The haze of slumber was beginning to wear off. Then he looked into an Asian face that was startlingly pale. She had short black hair and a yellow nightgown. And his claws were through her side. Just like Marie.

Only this young girl had no power to help her. This was not the Rogue, or even Marie. It was Jubilation Lee.



Marie gasped when the water struck her balled up form. It was icy cold! She had not been in for more then five minutes and already she was numb to the bone. There was a passing log that looked as though it might support her.

Marie grabbed the log and felt the Logan inside of her change. Then she realized that Mind-Logan was turning into Mind-Wolverine because, well. She thought harder and came up with a stunning truth.

Mind-Logan/Wolverine considered her to be his mate.

And when you threaten a wild animals mate, he comes at you with a vengeance.

Mind-Wolverine was no different. He was asking to take control of her basic senses so that he could tell her body what to do and when.

She smiled for a minute, and then quickly frowned. If she knew Cougar, or at least his basic instincts, he would follow her. And if Mind-Wolverine was in control, she might have a little bit of a problem.

It was then that sweet little Marie learned that you could take her away from Logan, but you could not expect to take the Wolverine's mate and get away with it, much less live throughout the night...