Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the generator’s fault. I was given, “I think I love you // cake” and this is what I ended up with. It’s only 270 words, just a short drabble. I haven’t written any fic in about a year. So I’m kinda rusty. Not beta’d so sorry for any mistakes.
The card was blank. It was made of thick, expensive paper, a subtle creamy color. No pictures of cutesy animals or trite sayings. It wasn’t even in an envelope.

She turned the card over, not even a company name was printed on the back.

She flipped it open, only five words were scrawled inside, nearly illegible.

“I think I love you”

Nothing more, nothing less.

She sat for long moments reading those words over and over. Finally, someone began to shake her by the shoulder.

“Rogue, who’s it from… more importantly how much money is in there??”

It was Jubilee, but the words didn’t register. “Huh?” She asked in a faraway voice. Her eyes searching the night outside of the bright lights of the crowded patio. Her friend had turned away to get another gift or card from the pile.

She stood, allowing the slice of cake and Dixie plate to fall unnoticed from her lap. She was sure she’d seen the brief flash of a lighter just inside the tree line, across the yard.

She mumbled something about the bathroom, headed towards the mansion, then slipped into the shadows and crept away from the party.

She walked faster once away from the immediate vicinity of party goers. Then picked up speed as she put distance between the crowd and herself.

She didn’t slow as she neared the woods across the grounds. She simply launched herself in the air as she crossed into the trees, knowing without a doubt she’d be caught.

Strong arms caught her and pulled her close.

A dark, smoky voice whispered, “Happy birthday, kid” in her ear.