Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry its been so long *hides under desk*. This is a shorter one, but there will be more to follow.
‘…are still trying to identify the deceased. A full body count is not possible at this stage.’

‘What are you watching, sugah?’ Marie asked, sauntering into the rec room. Logan was sprawled on the couch, the tv remote drooping in his hand.

‘News,’ he grunted. ‘A prison riot. They reckon some of the inmates were torn apart.’

‘Gross!’ Marie wrinkled her nose. ‘Any word from the Professor?’ She slumped down next to him.

‘Nope. Not a peep.’ After the hangar had been cleared and the jet brought back, the X-Men had given up waiting for Charles and Magneto to emerge. Marie had found herself aimlessly wandering around the mansion, slowly gravitating towards where Logan now sat. Ever since Magneto had appeared, the tiny echo of him in her head had been alternating between whispering insidious comments and screaming abuse. She squeezed the bridge of her nose, trying to stop the dull ache his persistence was causing.

‘Noisy head?’ Logan asked, understanding immediately.

‘You could say that,’ she sighed.

‘I’ve been looking for the two of you all over,’ Storm grumbled as she strode in.

‘And you didn’t think to look in the rec room first?’ Logan asked, quirking the eyebrow. Storm just pulled a face at him.

‘Hank wants to see you both. He’s got the results back from his tests.’

‘Well, that’s kind of redundant now,’ Marie said, rubbing her forehead. ‘We know the cure doesn’t work.’ She pushed herself out of the couch, swaying slightly as Eric choose that moment to start screaming that she was a traitor to her kind. Logan caught her arm and steadied her.

‘You okay?’ he asked quietly, looking concerned.

‘Yeah. He just won’t shut up.’ Marie scowled and shook her head.

‘Listen, Rogue, I know I didn’t approve of you taking the cure, but I really am sorry your mutation’s coming back. I know how much it meant to you.’ Storm rubbed her shoulder sympathetically.

‘Thanks ‘Ro.’

‘Come on, darlin’. Let’s get you to Hank.’ Logan steered her to the door.

* * * *

Hank greeted them both with a smile, and ushered them to the couch in his office.

‘Well, I’m afraid there’s not much I can tell you that you don’t already know. The cure is only temporary, and your mutation is coming back, Rogue. It does seem to be slightly different now; the form your cells are taking is not quite the same as before you took the cure.’

‘What does that mean?’ Marie asked, gripping Logan’s hand tightly. ‘Is it going to be worse than before?’

‘I don’t believe so. In fact, I think rather that this is the complete form of your mutation.’ Hank smiled slightly as the looks on their faces. ‘Before you took the cure, your mutation was out of control, seemingly unstoppable with no boundaries whatsoever. I believe that the cure forced your mutation to begin again, allowing it to develop fully and properly.’

‘You mean Ah might have control of it?’ Marie asked huskily.

‘I certainly think it is a distinct possibility. It would certainly explain why you haven’t absorbed anyone yet. Your unconscious form of control can be discovered and made conscious, with time.’

Marie launched herself at Hank, hugging him tightly. ‘Thank you, Hank! That’s the best news I’ve had for months!’

Hank laughed and patted her shoulder. ‘It won’t be easy, but I’m sure it’s possible.’ He grinned at Logan as Marie threw herself at him as well.

‘That’s really good, darlin’,’ he said softly, his arms snaking around her waist.

‘But what about being able to manipulate metal and hear better, mutations that aren’t my own? How come Ah can use them?’ Marie frowned at Hank, flexing her fingers.

‘As far as I can tell, it is another part of the control. Each mutation that you absorb a hearty amount of, you should be able to store and use as you need. But I’m afraid the voices and personalities will come too, so I advise against trying to become a one-woman X-team,’ Hank added with a smile.


* * * *

Marie tried to scream as Magneto loomed up behind Logan. Freezing him in his tracks, he put an arm around Logan’s throat, whispering viciously in his ear, staring triumphantly at Marie the whole time. She stared in horror as Magneto’s other hand plunged a needle into Logan’s chest. Logan collapsed on the floor, convulsing, the vial of mutant cure crushed beneath him, tiny pinpricks of blood forming where the edges gashed him. She tried to move her feet, to run to him, but she couldn’t. All she could do was watch. Logan’s convulsions eased and he rolled onto his side, facing her. Slowly pushing himself to his feet, he staggered towards her, arms outstretched, eyes pleading. Marie moaned in terror as wrinkles began to rapidly appear on Logan’s face, streaks of grey shooting through his hair, his muscles wasting away. Within seconds he appeared to be an old man, dropping to his knees, arms still reaching for her.

‘Marie,’ he whispered as he crumbled, dust flying around the solid metal skeleton that crashed to the ground. Marie was suddenly able to move and ran to him, but she was too late. She grasped at the dust as it spiralled away, shrieking his name.

‘Marie! Marie, wake up! It’s okay, baby, you’re safe, I’ve got you,’ Logan murmured as he pulled her close. She thrashed around for a few seconds before realising where she was.

‘Logan?’ she asked desperately, tears leaking from the corners of her eyes. Her hands roamed over his chest and back as she realised he was real and holding her, and she buried her face in his chest, hugging him tightly as she sobbed.

‘What was that about?’ he asked, rubbing soothing circles on her back. Wordlessly she shook her head and continued to cry. ‘Hey, its okay, you’re safe.’ He held her until the tears stopped and she started getting drowsy again. But as soon as he tried to lay her back down on the bed, she sat up in terror, clutching at him.

‘Don’t leave me, Logan! Please?’ she whispered, her eyes filling again.

‘Okay, I’ll stay,’ he murmured, getting up off the floor and lying down beside her. She snuggled into him, refusing to let go. Logan inhaled the scent of her hair, pulling her closer and closing his eyes.

* * * *

Pyro hurried through the dark, empty streets, casting nervous glances over his shoulder every few steps. The misty rain made the shadows dance in the dull, orange glow from the streetlights; shapeless creatures leaping and twisting before sinking back into the dark concrete. His hurried footsteps echoed sharply back to him, seeming over-loud in the gloom as his heart raced to the same rhythm. He knew he was being followed, but whoever, or whatever it was had been so elusive as to make him think he was imagining it. Cursing under his breath, he stopped and swung around, arms away from his sides, fire springing from his wrist straps to rage on his palms.

‘I know you’re there!’ he shouted, blinking rapidly to clear the drenching haze from his eyes. ‘What do you want?’ He stood still, hearing nothing but the pounding of his heart and the hiss of mist on flame. Hearing a sudden noise to his side he twisted and hurled a fireball, only to hear the frightened squeak of a rat as it scrambled away.

Pyro took one last look at the darkness and ran, skidding around a corner and crashing into a pile of rubbish. He cursed again as the rain stung his skinned palms and shoved quickly to his feet, lurching slightly before regaining his balance. A sudden weight dropped on top of him, crushing him to the floor, pressing his nose into the wet pavement. His eyes flicked sideways in horror as he caught sight of two yellow eyes gleaming in the puddle’s reflection.

‘Hello, Pyro,’ drawled Mystique, her hand closing around his throat as she laughed.