It was ugly as hell. Miniature carbon copy of the adults of the species. It burst out through the skin and muscle, screeching victoriously. He grasped it with numb fingers before it managed to flee from the scene of the crime and snapped its bony neck. Then fell on his back on to the lorry, his feet still dangling over the edge and the lifeless carcass of the black creature splayed on top of him.

“Congratulations, commander. It’s a boy,” he heard Vasquez declaring.
“I don’t give a flying fuck… And how do you know which one it is?” He asked, fumbling around, trying to reach Marie, to see if she was alright. Since Vasquez wasn’t in any pain, it had been Marie’s hand he had grasped earlier.
“I saw one different adult when we were clearing that base. It had this… Thing sticking out from the back of its head. Like some sort of plate of armor. And it was laying eggs. This one doesn’t have that ridge,” Vasquez explained, poking the carcass.
“Thank you for that insightful tidbit of information… Would you mind? Take that critter and get the fuck out for a moment? I need my wife…” He hissed, trying to sit up to find out how badly exactly the little scavenger from hell had torn him. Then the carcass and Vasquez were gone and Marie was there, holding him and crying, her hands feeling up his torso and sliding over his scalp, wiping off tendrils of hair that had fallen over his forehead.

“Hush. I’m alright now…” Actually, to his amazement he didn’t have to lie about that. He was still exhausted from the blood loss, but the nausea and the pain were gone. When he slid his hand over his stomach he found only smooth skin. No gaping hole. Just skin, slippery from blood.
“Is… Was that what they look like? The greenies?” Marie asked, wiping her eyes.
“No. That’s their latest weapon. They were breeding those. And now those… Things… They’re loose. There was one adult back at the base… And eggs.”
“Oh, shit.”
“Yeah… We have to get the hell out of here. I don’t know if they can hatch on their own or do they need a host… And I’m as sure as hell not going to sit around and wait so that I can find out…”
“Um… Can you drive?” Marie asked. That made him sit up and take a closer look at her.
“Are you alright? I didn’t… I did… Shit. I hurt you. Let me see your hand.”
“It’s already healed. But bit sore. It’s alright…”
“Fuck it isn’t alright. I’m sorry, kid. Shit… Come here. I didn’t mean to hurt you. Come here…”

He pulled her closer until she was straddling him and sunk his fingers to her hair, his palms cradling her face.
“I promised you that I wouldn’t hurt you. I broke that promise. Can you forgive me?” He asked. Marie stared at him, tears still gleaming in her eyes. She opened her mouth to speak, then closed it, chewing on her lower lip. Then brought her hands cradling his face, and kissed him gently.
“I won’t forgive you. There’s nothing to forgive,” she whispered when their lips parted.
“We’re good?” Logan asked. She nodded.
“Are you sure?”
“Absolutely. And I…” Sharp knock echoing from the outside interrupted them. They peered over the edge of the lorry. Vasquez was standing there.
“Sorry to interrupt, commander, but it looks like we’re getting company.”

Their gazes turned to the direction Vasquez was pointing at. Thick cloud of dust nearly covered the five vehicles. They were approaching fast. Coming from the direction of the ruined base.
“Okay, people. Get in to the car. I’m driving,” Logan grunted, jumping down from the lorry.
“Shouldn’t we wait and see who it is?” Vasquez asked.
“No. We shouldn’t. Considering the fact that when I left that place everybody was dead. Either greenies have finally learned how to drive, or those black fuckers can re-animate corpses. Either way, we’re screwed if they catch us.”
“Okay. What the hell are we waiting for? Let’s get going!” Vasquez exclaimed and sprinted towards the truck.
“Afraid of few corpses, Bodycount?” Logan chuckled when he climbed behind the wheel and took the keys Marie offered. Vasquez stared out from the window. From this distance Logan could make out the sharp, black outlines of the alien, slowly sinking to the sand the light breeze was whipping around.
“Afraid of turning in to a corpse. With all do respect, commander, do I have to drive or will this truck get moving soon?”
“With all do respect, Elena… I have to throw you out from this fucking truck if you don’t drop that commander-crap immediately,” Logan grunted and showed the keys to the ignition, starting the engine.
“Are you done playing the big, bad soldier?” Marie asked.
“For good. Time to hit the road, darling. Hang on, this might get rough…”
“Trust me. I know what he’s talking about,” Vasquez affirmed.
“I drove with Logan when you were still learning to walk. I think I know exactly what’s going on,” Marie retorted, suddenly slightly angered. Of course Vasquez only meant well, but her protective, and truth to be told, coddling attitude started to annoy her.