It was dark when he reached the women. They sat huddled together at the same spot he had left them earlier, only difference was that instead of Vasquez holding Marie it was the other way around. Marie was shielding Vasquez. He stopped the truck, leaving the headlights on, took the first aid kit and walked to them.

“How is she?” He asked.
“Still alive. Barely. What took you so long?”
“Got held up. Move her a bit, I need to check the wound.”
“I don’t think it’s such a good idea. Last time I tried she bit me.”
“Bit you? What the fuck… Bodycount! Wake up! Bodycount? Vasquez?”
“Sir, yes… Sir…”
“I’m going to clean you up. Bite me, and next thing you bite will be a bullet. Are we clear on that?”
“Yes, sir… Commander Wolverine… Sir.”
“And stop that. I’m retired. It’s Logan.”
“Sir, yes…”
“I mean it, Vasquez. Marie will turn you around. It’ll hurt. Hurt her, or hurt me, and I’ll hurt you even more.”

An hour later they sat together on the sand, leaning their backs to the front tire of the truck. After good deal of cursing, mild violence and much cajoling and negotiating they had managed to clean Vasquez’s wound, and now she lay in the back of the truck, half comatose from the amount of painkillers and the mixture of different antibiotics Logan had administered to her.

“Are you alright?” Marie asked. Logan pulled her against him.
“I should be the one asking that. They fucked you up. Again.”
“It could have been worse. You could have been in there. At least this time… This time it wasn’t you.”

He grimaced and buried his face to the crook of her neck.
“What do you want to do?” He asked, his voice muffled by the curtain of her hair.
“To do?” She asked, clearly puzzled.
“Yeah. I hope you didn’t have any plans for tonight.”
“Huh?”
“I was hoping we could just sit here. It feels like it has been ages since I last held you like this.”
“Is… Is that all you want to do?”
“Nope. But figured that after what happened, what those bastards did to you, you wouldn’t want anything extra inside of you for a while. This is good. I’m good.”
“Are you sure?”
“Marie…”
“Because I could really use something extra inside of me right now. You’re not the only one who got used to get laid on a regular basis.”
“Oh.”
“Yeah. So… Are we going to sit and watch the stars, or are we going to see how many stars we can light up together?”
“I’d rather sit.”
“Oh.”

He could tell that she was confused. And horny as hell. Was it because of the hormones they had pumped in to her, or had she just missed him he didn’t know. But he knew that if he fucked with her now, he wouldn’t be able to tell if the baby she was carrying were the end result of the stunt they pulled at her back at the base, or was it really his.

“I…” He started, but sudden racket echoing from the lorry of the truck saved him from further explanations. They bolted at their feet. The whole truck was trembling and shaking.
“Vasquez!” Woman stood at the edge of the lorry, struggling with arachnid-like creature. Creature had a long tail that it had wrapped around Vasquez’s neck, and it tried to grab her face with eight, bony, finger-like appendages. Vasquez had managed to grab a firm hold from the creature’s slimy looking body, but she was fighting a loosing battle. Arachnid was strangling her.

Logan got to her first and grabbed the tail, trying to loosen it from around Vasquez’s neck. It wasn’t working. Though the creature looked soft and fragile it was surprisingly strong, and tail felt like it was welded to Vasquez’s skin. From this close Logan could see and opening on the underside of the creature, and some kind of mouthpiece extending from that opening. It was extending towards Vasquez’s face, dribbling slime and making wet, smacking noises. He clamped his palm over Vasquez’s mouth, running purely on instinct. Creature let go of Vasquez and slid around, turning it’s attention to him. Vasquez fell on the ground, gasping for air, still dizzy from sedatives and exhausted. He noticed from the corner of his eye Marie dragging Vasquez away. Then the arachnid struck, cord-like tail wrapping tightly around his throat, nearly crushing his windpipe. He gagged, giving the arachnid an opening for its next move. It slammed against his face, and he felt part of it sliding in to his mouth, down to his throat, throbbing and dribbling something warm and sticky, bony legs wrapping around his head, locking in to place.