“Maybe we should go back…”
“You think so? Wonder what spawned that bright idea…” Logan muttered, trying his best to stop slippery organs spilling out from the gut wound and trying to get stitches on it moderately straight. Luckily Vasquez was already gone to the place and state beyond pain, and just lay there, letting him take care of the long cut on her side.
“Look at us… They fucking ambushed us…” Vasquez coughed, but no blood was spilling from her lips. That had to be a good sign.
“We’re going back. The two of us. Can’t take anybody else, not in that state…” Before she went down Vasquez had managed to revive the rest of the team. Perhaps revive was too strong word to use. Re-Animate would have been more correct. Army of brain dead corpses, staring mutely when he sprinkled general amount of antibiotic powder over the wound before wrapping long stretch of gauze around Vasquez’s torso for keep the stitches from tearing.
“Okay. It’s done. I’m going to take care of the guys. If anything happens, doctor, heal yourself,” Logan muttered, patted Vasquez’s shoulder and went to the grim task of taking care of the problem.

There was no use to give them proper burial. Desert would take care of the bodies, just as it would take care of the slain enemies. Green lizards and their secret weapon, biologically engineered new breed of monsters from hell. Black heavily armored lizard-like creatures walking on two legs and bleeding acid. It had taken his whole team to get rid of them, and now he had to get rid of his team because Vasquez had been too tired or she wasn’t powerful enough for to begin with to bring people back from the dead.

It was relatively easy. They still remembered their training, and when he told them to fall in line, they did it without batting an eye. They just stood on their ground and stared forward when he lopped off their heads, one after another. Still healing wounds on his back from when he covered Vasquez with his body to shield her from the exploding body of a black lizard were itching and stretching his skin taut when he moved his hands. Acid was still trickling down his shredded uniform, but his blood and exposure had diluted it somewhat.

Task completed he returned to the truck. Vasquez was sleeping on her back on the lorry, used syringe still clutched in to her hand. He stripped off his uniform and rolled in the sand, scrubbing it over his skin. It cling to blood and grime, but after sun dried it, it started to fall of, leaving only thin sheen of dust covering him, and he didn’t feel so sticky and sweaty anymore. He felt sorry for Vasquez. She’d have to wait until they get back to the base before she could clean herself up. Even then it would be just a careful sponge bath.

He secured the woman with straps used to tie down their cargo and hopped on the driver’s seat. Cast a glance towards the radio. It was shot to hell. One of the greenies had managed to get in to the truck and before they had gotten it out it had trashed the cockpit for good.

He didn’t get far. Truck started and rolled forward few meters before the engine died down, and he couldn’t get it start again, no matter how hard he kicked the tires, how loudly he cursed the damn contraption or how many times he popped the hood and tinkered with wires and bolts.

“Bodycount, time to wake up.” Woman muttered and tried to turn on her side. He grabbed her before she managed to hurt herself and slapped her on the cheek.
“Rise and shine, little bitch. We’re going to take a walk.” Vasquez’s eyes fluttered open.
“Sir, fuck you, sir!”
“Not now, Vasquez. Besides, I have a feeling my wife would strongly disapprove. On your feet now. We’re going to walk back. Those fuckers trashed the truck, and I can’t fix it with what we have.”
“I can’t walk…” Vasquez hissed. She could barely move.
“Tough luck. You have to. I’m carrying the water.”

He grabbed few canisters. They would probably be enough. It would take three days to reach the base on foot. Turned and hopped down from the lorry, then as an afterthought went to one of the corpses that still had nearly intact uniform on, took it and put it on. Started walking to the direction of the base.

Vasquez joined his company half an hour later. Face ashen, sweating profusely and spewing curses directed at him, swaying on her feet but moving on her own. Half an hour from that she fell, and he had to discard one canister of water and drag her unconscious form after him like a sled.