Author's Chapter Notes:
It's starting to look like this is impossible to finish.
”I hate you.”

Those had been exact words what she had thrown at his face with venomous tone when he had told her his plan. The big plan of how they could both get nice and easy lives.

Ever since the search party sent after Sam had left, and idea had been buzzing in his mind. Whispering day and night, keeping him awake when he should have slept. Keeping him half slumber, almost trance-like state when he should have stayed awake. Not a day went by that he didn’t read through the slip of paper officer had shoved at his hand with Sam’s service record.

Of course he had been suspicious. It all looked too good. Too easy and neat.

Return to the force. Earth needs You. Full benefits for all veterans and their families. Opportunity to choose deployment.

They had fought. Insults had been traded, as well as few well-aimed punches and kicks. They had quite literally beaten the shit out of each other.
“I hate you…” She had hissed, sitting up from where she lay. Recovering first because he had held back, focusing on defending himself rather than returning to quick jabs and kicks she had rained on him.
“Love you, too, honey…” He had grunted, trying to crawl up on his hands and knees to prevent the blood oozing from his broken nose to the back of his throat.

They had cleaned up each other and then he had explained his plan to her, sitting in front of the cold fireplace, trying to find right words.

“I’m not sure how long we can keep this up. We make good money from the clothes you make, but that’s not enough. And they way things are developing, that field will be as barren as the rest of this fucking desert in few years.”
“But we have food. We can hunt…”
“Look around you. The only reason animals still stick around is that field. When it’s gone, they’re gone as well. There’s no future for us if we stay here.”
“But what about Sam?”
“I don’t give a flying fuck about him. He can stay and try his luck in here. He’s a big boy, he’ll figure out what to do when he gets bored of playing farmer.”
“But…”
“We can get back on the road. Hell, they’ll always need fresh blood in the fighting circuit. Or, we could take this offer, settle down and live a little.”
“Live? You call that a life?”
“Beats sucking dust and camel shit. Can I at least look in to this? There’s a draft office at the settlement. As soon as Sam gets back home, I could go there and ask…”
“You’ll do it anyway. Why do you even bother to run this through with me?”