Author's Chapter Notes:
Finding the balance between what you want and what you feel you need is the hardest part of life.
'Balance...the pivot of life,
Where the soul weighs against the need of the world.
Temperance....self restraint,
Is sometimes the hardest thing of all....'

**********************************************************

The day the jet landed changed everything, the men of the settlement were going over to it when someone emerged, a glowing card in his hand. Hair stuck up and a demon's gaze that swept over the entire group, Logan was there but he was hanging back behind his friends. Fists clenched just in case, the man's voice rang out, a mixture of French and American that Logan recognised as coming from the Bayou's of Louisiana. Pushing himself forward he felt the mans eyes land on him, burying themselves into his flesh.

"What do you want Cajun? You lost?" The thin man shrugged and smiled a crooked smile, a dark light burning behind his eyes as he walked toward the crowd of men. Marie was hidden in her school but she could see the X-Men logo on the small jet. Her eyes went to the small child in his cot and to the men who were defending their home to an invader who brought the scent of trouble with him.

"Non, Remy he been chasin' your tail for month's now. Between fightin' T'Brotherhood and collectin' strays Remy here been tryin' to find you for a mutual friend." Logan growled and put himself bewteen the man and his friends, he didn't want any of what he was selling. He smelled wrong, something was wrong about him and Logan wanted him away as soon as possible.
"Tell whoever it is you work for I'm not interested, I don't kill for money anymore," he let his claws slide out and lock before continuing. "Now for pleasure....that's a different matter entirely." The thin man drew back a little, making sure he had a clear run to the sleek jet behind him.

"You misunderstand Remy, he just want to find you, now he found you. Others will be glad to know you still alive, things are not so good for us back home." Logan walked closer to the man, who was beginning to back away slowly, his body reeking of sickness the closer he got to him.
"This *is* my *home*, you better not be bringin death here with ya Cajun or you'll be dead before that machine even powers up." That stopped the man dead, his smile faded and he seemed to lose all bravado from his frame. The summer sun didn't make him sweat it was sickness and the cloying stench of it almost made him gag.
"We need your help Wolverine, there's people dyin that need you, your powers. Remy he was sent to find you, now I found you they'll be comin soon after me. Not too far behind me non?" He lifted his hand to show Logan a communicator, the little light flashing in the sun.

Anger filled him, he'd kept him talking while he used the device to call the rest of the damn team here. Swearing he made to lunge at Remy but the man danced away out of reach. Quick to change his mind he rattled off what he wanted the rest of the men to do, the language one that Remy wouldn't understand. Men ran across the entire settlement, Marie who was watching from her school room, sent her children home, grabbing her own child she ran for home. Logan was angry and she'd never seen him draw his claws on someone unless they deserved it. As she ran out with her son she heard the soft language of those she'd called her family. The message was one of speed, to hurry, someone was coming; someone sick and they could hurt them all.

As Marie ran to her own home she knew just what to pack and what to leave behind, three years she'd been here, three years to build a life only to leave it behind again. She only hoped Logan would join her soon, she needed him with her and if need be she'd fight the X-Men to get him back.

**********************************************************

Logan stood waiting for the jet to get here, he'd heard the men calling out to family to head for the upper slopes. Where they had the summer hunting camp, they'd be safe up there, Marie and the baby would be safe up there too. He had to see what they wanted from him, now they knew where he was they'd not leave without him telling them in his own way that he wasn't interested in coming with them.

He'd had peace for three years, somehow he knew it wouldn't last forever but he'd hoped it might've lasted longer. As the summer wind blew over him he caught Marie's scent, she was angry, upset and she had the baby with her. Smiling he knew she mirrored his own feelings, he'd deal with these threats then he'd find her and they'd leave. He'd take the money they'd had left and the money he'd earned here and they'd go further. The world had given them both the respite they'd needed but now it was changing and they'd have to change with it.

His gaze never left the Cajun even as the blackbird landed, the ramp lowered and Storm walked out, her face composed and relaxed. Followed by Kitty and Bobby, she touched Remy on the arm and he backed off, settling himself in the seat of his smaller jet, the engines idling.
Storm didn't get too close to him and the silence behind him told him that most people had already left, taking his warning to heart. His claws were still drawn and Storm called him on it, "Still looking for a fight Wolverine?"
"Why you upto givin' me one?" The tone he used was as cold as the winter up here and Storms face dropped the smile she'd had on it.
"We're not here to fight Logan," he cocked his head to one side as if to say 'Your shittin' me'. "No really, we need your help." Storm walked closer and he raised his fists bringing the claws upto her stomach level.
"What if I don't want to help you?"

Storm looked at the two people behind her, Kitty spoke next, "Children are dying Wolverine, a virus has been released in the mutant population, it kills slowly, destroying the body. The only people who seem to have immunity are those who took the cure, they still carry the X-Gene but they don't get sick. We need some of your blood to see if your carrying the antibody we need. That's all we need from you, a blood sample. You could save so many people, all from a little blood." She moved out from behind Storm, her hands opening to show him the vial they needed him to fill.

He was torn, if they were telling the truth (which by his nose she was) then all he had to do was stand there and let them take what they needed then they'd leave. Inside his mind Wolverine was screaming at him not to trust them, they worked for Xavier. Holding out one clawed arm he allowed her to get close enough to draw the blood, his other hand wrapped around her throat. He watched as her eyes widened as she felt his grip tighten on her neck, "Nothin personal kid, just want to be sure that's all you take from me." She did the job quick and efficient, he never saw the tranq but he sure felt the effect soon enough. Stumbling he fell forward, his grip on Kitty as insubstantial as smoke. He'd forgotten her power, she could phase through stuff, like the grip he'd had on her throat. He heard her apology though, as the lights went out for him, her voice strained as she helped carry him to the blackbird. "I'm so sorry Wolverine but we need you. All of you."

**********************************************************

She saw the jets leave, went down later with everyone else and saw he was missing. She searched everywhere, even for the money they'd stored, it was still there. They'd taken him, stolen him because she knew he'd never go willingly, not back to that life.

She packed up again, this time she took the truck, her baby was coming with her and by the end of this they'd be a family again. One way or another she was going to reach him, he'd do this for her and so she'd find him. Starting with the mansion, she said her goodbyes, several people giving her things she might need. One even gave her a gun, which she stashed under the nappies she had. Smiling she took her leave, her eyes raking over the house Logan had built. Seeing their names carved in the lintel and the still fresh name of their son. No matter what she'd be back here before a year had passed, her son would have the life he deserved, one free from hatred and fear.

Putting the truck in gear she set off for her old home, the one she'd left all those years ago. Not knowing what lay ahead of her, but she still had her recorder an as soon as they hit a gas station she'd be recording her thoughts again. Just in case, Logan would survive of that she was sure but she wanted him to know what had made her come after him. And her voice was the one way she could tell him, even if she didn't make it back. Setting her head straight, her son strapped in next to her Marie went after her husband.