From where he sat on the carved stone bench Scott watched the scene before him. The kids were playing football, their laughter and shouts filling the afternoon air with joy. From the edge of the tree line he watched the couple that was slowly walking toward him.

He’d never understood what it was about them that made them who they were. There was no hesitation, no angst with their relationship. One day they’d been separated, two single individuals moving through life at the mansion. The next; the next they’d walked into the dining room together, hands locked, head bent together, voices hushed as they’d whispered words to each other. A delicate flush had climbed her cheeks at the sudden, deafening silence of the room for a single moment before her unease had been lost to his touch, to his affection.

For weeks he’d watched them. His gaze searching for something, anything that would reveal just when things would fall apart. Surely the older man was merely biding his time, playing with the affections of a child. There was no way an untamed soul could possibly have fallen from the skies like he had.

The weeks had blended into months, into years and now he was once more watching them. They’d weathered storms that had destroyed other couples, weathered pain that had crippled many and still he watched them.

“You look pensive.”

Soft, soothing the words drew Scott from his reverie. Turning his head he glanced at the fair haired woman standing to his right and patted the bench beside him.

“Tell me what do you see when you look at them?”

Staring at Storm, Scott waited patiently for her assessment. No one knew the reason why they mansions most unlikely couple were still together, no one had ever believed it could happen. Now, he wanted Storm’s opinion, wanted to know the thoughts of the woman who’d given him so many things in his life.

“Love. Strong, touch, unending. It stands the test of time, it will last long after the rest of us are but dust.”

With a nod Scott turned his attention back to the couple. “I was talkin’ to him the other day you know. Asked him why he was still with her. After all the novelty has worn off. You want to know what he said?”

“Of course.”

“She’s sun and rain. She’s fire, she’s ice. She can rage like a river and beg you to forgive her at the flip of a coin. She’s every single woman I’ve ever known. Every place I’ve ever been. She’s makin’ love on rainy nights, everything I want to do again. She’s on both sides of the fence when it comes to temptation. She's anything, but typical.
She's so unpredictable, but even at her worst she ain't that bad. She's as real as real can be, and she's every fantasy. Lord she's every lover that I've ever had and she's every lover that I've never had.”

Storm frowned softly as the couple in question strolled closer. Leaning over to press a kiss to Scott’s cheek she giggled. “He likes Garth Brooks.”

Scott watched her scurry away a look of puzzlement upon his face.

“Hey Scooter, you tryin’ to see if that bench’s gonna grow legs?”

Laughing softly Scott rose and glanced between them. “Just thinking is all.”

“About what?”

“What it means to hold every woman all wrapped up into one stunning package. Happy Anniversary Rogue,” Scott hugged her tightly before stepping back. “So how long has it been again?”

“Sixty years,” Rogue giggled and glanced at the man at her side. Despite the years he hadn’t aged at all. He was still the rough, sexy, badass she’d met at fifteen and married at twenty. He could still turn her on with a smirk. Lifting her hand she ran it through the long dark locks that hung past her shoulders. “But it doesn’t feel like more than a few days.”

Scott laughed and picked up the forgotten cane leaning against the bench. “I know exactly what you mean. You still up for a round of poker later Logan?”

“Naw, Rogue and I have plans. We’re taking the grandkids out for ice cream before bedtime.”

Scott raised an eyebrow but refrained from commenting. “Okay, maybe later than. Just don’t wait too long…some of us are getting old ya know!”

Shuffling toward the mansion Scott waved at his daughter and her husband as they sat with Rose and James Logan. Smiling he glanced once over his shoulder at the couple before turning to seek out his wife. He understood exactly what Logan had meant the other night…a woman as rare as the one a man called his wife was more than just a warm body in the night. For that he was ever grateful.


She's sun and rain, she's fire and ice
A little crazy but it's nice
And when she gets mad, you best leave her alone
'Cause she'll rage just like a river
Then she'll beg you to forgive her
Oh, she's every woman that I've ever known.

She's so New York and then L.A.
And every town along the way
She's every place that I've never been
She's makin love on rainy nights
She's a stroll through Christmas lights
And she's everything I want to do again.

It needs no explanation
'Cause it all makes perfect sense
For when it comes down to temptation
She's on both sides of the fence.

No it needs no explanation
'Cause it all makes perfect sense
When it comes down to temptation
She's on both sides of the fence.

She's anything, but typical
She's so unpredictable
Oh but even at her worst she ain't that bad
She's as real as real can be
And she's every fantasy
Lord she's every lover that I've ever had
And she's every lover that I've never had