She swirled around when she heard Sam’s footsteps.
“What the hell where you thinking?” She hissed.
“I was thinking that I wasn’t going to watch you get hurt again. What the hell were you thinking? Coddling that psychotic freak! You should have let him die!” Sam growled clutching his hurt shoulder and rubbing rather large bruise on the side of his jaw.
“It was none of your concern! He wasn’t going to…”
“It is my concern. I wasn’t there, I couldn’t be there for you for the first time he raped you, but I wasn’t as sure as hell going to just stand aside and watch him do it again!”
“It happened long time ago. We have handled the issue by ourselves. It wasn’t easy to get over, but we did get over it. I suggest you try the same. Stop blaming him for something neither us was able to prevent!”

She turned her back to Sam and went to check on Logan. For Logan it was who now sat on the porch, dazed hazel eyes fixed to the pile of corpses laid out in front of stable.
“Hi. Welcome back.”
“Back? What happened? I remember that I was going to get some more coffee…” Logan asked, his brows knitting together in confusion.
“Bandits attacked. Sam got shot, but he’s alright now. We’re all alright now. You took care of it. Come on, let’s get you cleaned up…” She whispered, urging him to stand up and follow her to the well. She could hear Sam walking behind them, muttering and whispering angrily.

“Sam got shot? Was it bad?” Logan suddenly asked, swiveling around, his eyes scanning Sam from head to toes.
“I’ll live,” Sam spat, his eyes blazing from suppressed rage.
“Good. Good.” Logan sat on the brim of the well while Marie pulled up a bucketful of water, his eyes still boring in to Sam. The boy was staring at him like he was going to attack at any moment now.
“Mom?”
“Not now, Sam. Could you go and get some clean clothes for both of you.”
“I’m not leaving you alone with him,” Sam grunted stubbornly, sitting to the ground and leaning his back against the grey stone wall of the house. Logan tilted his head.
“Marie?”

She didn’t answer. She didn’t say a word. Just started unbuttoning his ruined, blood soaked shirt. He took her hands to his own and forced her to stop, to look in to his eyes.
“Why does Sam think that he can’t leave me alone with you?”
“Wolverine paid us a visit while you were unconscious,” She blurted when it came apparent that Logan wasn’t going to let her go before he got an answer.
“I took care of those bandits?” Logan asked. Marie nodded. Sam snorted bitterly.
“Yeah. You took care of them. I wonder what else you would have taken care of if I hadn’t stopped you…”
“Stop! Just stop it, Sam!” Marie shouted.
“What else did I do?” Logan asked, ignoring Sam.
“Nothing. After it was over he just… Wolverine just went away.” Marie’s eyes were begging him to drop the subject. He couldn’t. He had to know.
“It doesn’t work that way. We both know that Wolverine doesn’t just go away. I can’t… We can’t switch personalities like that. What made him go away?” He asked. Marie shook her head.
“Nothing happened. Wolverine just sat down, and next it was you sitting there…”
“I stabbed you. I told you earlier I could stop you long enough, and I did,” Sam said and stood up.
“And I will do it as many times as it necessary. I won’t let you hurt mom.”

“Did I try to hurt you?” Logan asked when Sam had walked away.
“No. And Wolverine actually sounded happy when he noticed that we weren’t with the Army anymore. It was weird. I tried to keep Sam away from him, but he wouldn’t listen. After Wolverine had chopped up the bodies he wanted to know if we had any gasoline so that he could burn them. Sam tricked you in to the stable and stabbed you in the back. He knew what he was doing. If I hadn’t taken the knife out, you’d probably have died. You nearly drowned to your blood.”
“I didn’t think he had it in him. I guess I was wrong. But this shit has got to end before somebody really gets hurt,” Logan grunted, tugging off his clothes and taking the bucket filled with water.
“I’ll talk to him. And this time I’m going to make sure that he listens,” he said.

He found Sam from the stable. The boy was trying to put reigns to the camels with one hand, spewing curses at them when they refused to cooperate. Logan took the reigns from him and threw them to a corner, wincing slightly. He’d have to sort them out later, but now he had more important matter to handle than a bundle of leather and cloth straps.
“What? What are you going to do now? Beat me? Claw me?” Sam snorted, his chin held high, anger still hot in his eyes.
“For what? For doing something I would have done myself? I don’t think so. But we need to talk. Sit,” Logan said, gesturing towards small stool near the stable’s door.
“I rather stand,” Sam grunted. Logan shrugged his shoulders.
“As you like…” He walked to the corner and picked up the reigns. Might as well sort them out while they talked.

“I know you did it to protect your mom. But stunts like that… They have got to stop if you’re planning to stay here with us. Yes. I raped her. Yes. It happened several times. Yes, you were probably right when you took down Wolverine. But… They were different times. We were different people. It’s all in the past. This is now,” he said, rising the reigns.
“I lo… I need her. She needs me. Neither of us needs the shit you’re trying to drag upon us. Let it go before I forget that you’re our son.”