We'd like to get to know you a bit, is there anything you'd care to share with us?


Just an open apology for my lack of writing in the past couple years. I know it's been awfully sparse; I just haven't had the time I used to. I am currently finishing up my degree, and it has been sucking the creative life from me a bit. Writing is a creative release for me, though, and something I will never put aside entirely. Also, it was great fun going back through the fics and re-reading things to answer these questions. I revisit my own fic rarely after it is complete, and it was rather enjoyable.




Do you have any other creative pursuits besides writing?


I enjoy fine art and am currently a graphic design major at Texas Woman's University. I particularly enjoy plain old sketching, but I do quite a few other forms of art. You can view my work at wildemoon.deviantart.com or my soon-to-be portfolio at www.bethdobbs.com I used to write poetry often but haven't indulged that muse in a couple of years due to lack of inspiration brought on by being too darn satisfied with my life.




When you started writing Logan/Rogue fic the fandom was still in its infancy. How were you introduced to this world, and what drew you to writing about these characters?


The characters captured my attention when I saw the movie, particularly Logan. I found the Logan/Rogue pairing rather squicky for a long time, but writers like Diebin and Victoria and all of the brilliant people who brought the pairing to the forefront of the fandom changed my mind. I saw that not only could the romance be done believably, but they reminded me that there were many facets of the relationship to explore beyond simple romantic inclinations.




How does writing X-Men fan fiction compare to writing stories in other fandoms?


Not to sound too simple-minded, but writing is writing for me. Different characters allow me to explore different things and situations, certainly. The X-Men universe is a very diverse one that allows for a great deal of interpersonal exploration, though, and I suppose that's why it has been one of my more prolific fandoms.




You've written many stories featuring a variety of characters and pairings (Logan/Rogue, Rogue/Bobby, Rogue/Gambit, Scott/Jean, Logan/Jean). Which character and/or pairing do you most enjoy writing about and why?


It honestly depends entirely on my mood. I realize that sounds like something of a half-answer, but it's true. Bobby/Rogue satisfies my warmer, fuzzier moods, something like Buffy/Xander in that universe. Logan/Jean is the darker, more forbidden relationship. I won't say that it isn't at all cerebral, but there is a more instinctual element to it. Scott/Jean has that wonderful stability and history, the sweetness of a long-established relationship. Logan/Rogue involves a coming together of similar souls. Rogue/Gamit is my absolute favorite pairing as far as the comic goes, so I couldn't neglect this one even when writing in the movieverse.




If you could meet one of the X-characters who would it be and why?


Wow! Tough question! I would love to have a nice make-out session with Gambit and… what? Too shallow? Okay, okay. I could see myself being friends with Rogue, talking to her, and that would be interesting. Xavier is a fount of wisdom, very experienced, very intelligent, and I would love to hear his views on things. Honestly, I know myself to be something of a shy person around new people, so I doubt that I would so much as be able to talk to Logan. If I had to pick just one individual, however, it would likely be Scott. Plain old boring Scott. Because I think in a lot of ways he and I are the most alike, and it would be interesting to sit down and have a drink with the guy and see what he's like in person.




I noticed in most of your stories you write Rogue with her additional comic powers. Were you a comics fan before seeing the movie? If so, what are your thoughts on how Rogue was reinterpreted in the movie(s)?


I actually didn't come to the comics until after seeing the movie. In the movie Rogue intrigued me, but she seemed somehow flat. When I saw the vibrancy of her character in the comics, I was floored. She captivated me and drew me in to a much greater degree. She came off as a bit more dimensional in X2, but I still feel the movies haven't even touched on the core of the character yet. The fiery, vivacious young woman in the comics is a far cry from what she's been in the films. That said, reading the comics has caused me to read dimension into things when watching the movie, so I enjoy the character more there for knowing the history even if it doesn't apply.




What types of stories (genre, length, rating, etc.) are you most comfortable writing and why?


I have been told that most of my stories are too short. I suppose that's because I think in vignettes a great deal of the time. I don't often have extended periods to just sit and write, so I often simply polish off a train of thought in one sitting and call that a story. Besides which, it literally takes me a year or more to finish truly long works, and most readers are not eager to wait that long for the conclusion of a fic. I have recently become somewhat more comfortable with writing adult fiction (i.e. fic of the NC-17 variety), but most of my work still falls in the PG or PG-13 range. It flows more easily and naturally for me. As to genre, I like to think I am capable of quite a few different feels in my stories, from comedy to tragedy to adventure, but I am well aware that plot-driven is not my strong suit. My fic is usually about the characters. Even when I manage to write in some action, which is rare, what really matters in the end is the people.




With the exception of "Missing" and "Need," which portray a love relationship, most of your Logan and Rogue stories can be categorized as general or friendship. What is your take on Logan and Rogue's relationship from the movie(s) and particularly in regards to your stories?


In the movie, I see Logan as an older brother or father figure, just as he is in the comics. Now, that said, I have always said and still hold that fan fiction is there for fans to explore different avenues and possibilities. I may not think that John would ever date Jean, but that isn't to say I would never have it happen in a fic. Logan and Rogue's relationship is one based on a close understanding of similar individuals, and that is something which can easily develop into romance or even be misinterpreted as romance. In my fiction, I have tried to approach their dynamic from different angles just to explore the possibilities of their relationship.




"Hurt Me" on the other hand puts a rather dark spin on their relationship. What can you tell us about this story and what inspired you to go in this direction?


First of all, I was shocked by the response to the story. I had people writing worried about me being abused or having been abused. I was floored. While something of me spills over into anything I write by default, I can't say I've ever written anything that was entirely about me or even based off anything that happened to me in any real sense. It never occurred to me to do so. It also surprised me that people got mad at me for letting Bobby be the nice guy. I've never seen any evidence at least in the movieverse that Bobby was anything but the nice guy. That isn't to say I feel the fic is entirely in character for anyone, but I it still surprised me. While truly dark fiction is not something that I often write, it is something I enjoy reading. The fact of the matter is that darkness is as much a part of life as anything. Bad things happen to good people. Good people make the wrong choices. Logan might be a wonderful guy, but that doesn't mean he can't screw up too. Also, in defense of some bruises and bitemarks, sex is not always gentle and tentative, and that is certainly not a bad thing. I never meant for the focus of the fic to be the physical element but rather the psychological impact of an unhealthy relationship neither party is willing to let go of. It still thrills me that so many people read and responded to the fic. In closing, I don't really think Logan would use Rogue that way, yet even strong women sometimes get in a bad place and maybe don't know the right way to get out or even that they should in the first place.




Which of your Logan/Rogue stories is your favorite and why?


Oh, wow, that's a tough one! I am very partial to "Hurt Me" simply because it is something of a departure. Generally my oddball fics compel me more than the others. In an entirely different vein, I find Protective!Logan in "Just a Girl" really funny and enjoyed the heck out of writing that one. "Fugitive" is one of my first X-Men fics and that remains a favorite because of it.




Tell us more about what you do when you write. Any special habits, customs, or conditions you like before you can get started writing (i.e.particular music playing, time of day, etc.)


I write when I find the time. Traditionally, it is in the early evening when I'm done with the day but not yet sleepy. Music varies with what I'm writing, but I almost never write without listening to something. If the fic itself is inspired by a song, I'll generally listen to the album with that song on it. Sometimes it's just a matter of mood; Sarah McLachlan or Duncan Sheik for something mellow, Nine Inch Nails or Garbage for smut and darker things. Beyond that, I do obsessively read over what I've written previously on the story before I'll continue it. If I start a story on Monday, for example, on Tuesday I will read over everything written on Monday before I put another word down. It minimizes (though never eliminates) typos and plot holes.




What part of writing do you enjoy most, least and why?


Finishing stories on both counts. It gives me a greater sense of satisfaction than almost anything in the world, but at the same time, I often hate to lose the fic if it is one that has really involved me. Putting a story out in front of the virtual audience doesn't really worry me. To the contrary, it excites me, but I still hate just letting go, besides which I often have trouble winding the story up to my own satisfaction. Sometimes a story will sit 98% done in a folder for months simply because I can't make those last few paragraphs work quite right.




In the "Phases" series Rogue is in love with the Logan inside her head. She's built a fantasy life around him and when the real Logan returns and disrupts that fantasy, she doesn't react well. How did you come up with this interesting idea in particular, and where do your story ideas usually come from?


Inspiration can come from comments people make, plot bunnies thrown out, a specific sentence in a movie or TV show… anything. The idea for Phases is one of the few full-blown, planned series' ideas I've ever had. I wanted to show the two arcs and equate them with seasons and days. I wasn't sure at first how I would work it or whether it would work at all. Thankfully, it did work and fairly well. As far as being in love with a fantasy, I think we've all done that. Not all of us are lucky enough to realize that maybe the reality is better than the fantasy anyway.




You alternate points of view in several of your series and sequels. For instance, "Crush" is written from Logan's POV and it's sequel, "Longing" from Rogue's. Do your prefer writing from one of their perspectives more than the other? If so, whose and why?


Rogue's, quite simply because I feel I understand her better. I have a close friend who is quite the Logan type, but I'm not so bold. Neither character quite matches me as far as personality goes, but Rogue is easier for me to channel; it comes more naturally.




In general, do you prefer writing in 1st or 3rd person? Have you ever rewritten a story from first to third, or vice versa?


Generally, third person. Which is odd, I suppose, when one considers how many fics I've written in first person. Both have their charm. I like being able to see everything as a writer, though it can also be interesting to limit my perspective to that of one character in particular. Which, of course, can be done in third person as well but not to the same degree. I have never rewritten a full story from one to the other, though there were a couple along the way (I couldn't even say which fics now) which were in one or the other for a few paragraphs before I decided it just wasn't working.




Most of your stories include song lyrics throughout. Do you use lyrics to set the mood, or do they actually reflect the plot of the story in some way?


Often a little of both. Sometimes the lyrics are meant just to set up the piece, to give the reader a flavor of what is to come. More often than not, the lyrics inspired the story in some way. I can't even count how many times I've been driving home from school listening to a song and gone, "Ooo, I gotta write a fic for that!". I'll often jot down song titles on my hand while driving for this very reason. Shh, don't tell the cops!




The story "Missing" incorporates the song Don't Give That Girl a Gun. What was it about this song that made you think it was perfect for a Logan & Rogue story?


The sound, the words. It is a beautiful piece (as are most Indigo Girls songs), but I had never really thought of using it for a fic until the moment I decided to write that. And, yes, song choice came before fic-writing on that one. It set the tone and guided the words completely.




What current song do you think might make a good Logan and/or Rogue story?


Honestly, my brain has been filled with other fandoms and pairings lately. I had to consider this for awhile. After careful consideration, I came up with nothing. The songs in my head that I want to use for future fics are all "older" (though some only by a year or so). That said, I imagine I could go through Sarah McLachlan's new album and make something happen without any trouble. Her stuff is so beautifully emotional that it's always bound to work.




I've noticed that many of your stories include title graphics. Do the pictures inspire the story or vice versa…in other words, do you choose them before or after you complete a story?


I have always made the graphics after the story, save in the case of the Phases series. Sometimes it is a long while before I even find a good image for a story. As it is, I look back at a lot of them know and cringe thanks to my design courses. In rare cases, a photo inspires the story, but it won't necessarily make it into the graphic.




I particularly like the graphic for "Year in a Day #1: Autumn - Pain." Do you put them together yourself…how do you choose? Have readers ever sent you graphics for stories as part of feedback?


Yes, I put them together myself, and it usually involves either picking through my collection of pictures or scouring the 'net trying to find the right image. So far I have not ever received a graphic as part of feedback, though that would be very interesting. I also would love to see fan art done in response to stories. But I realize that most people inclined to do a lot of art either do it solely for friends or their own work or even on commission.




You've written several series ("Touched," "Phases," "First Love") and stories with sequels. Is it easier for you to breakdown and write the stories in parts? Do you decide beforehand if there will be a sequel to a story?


Often it isn't so much a matter of ease in the manner of writing but that either I plot it out as a series with different segments (the case with Phases, Driving Force, etc.) or I end up getting inspired to do a sequel later, often by feedback or ideas sparked by feedback.




Do you have a specific goal in mind for each part/story in a series?


If it is planned as a series from the beginning, yes. I at least plan out the arc, though sometimes it ends up taking more or less parts than anticipated to get there. If it is a more spontaneous sequel situation, then things are usually just a matter of me flying by the seat of my pants. I try to keep things structured to an extent, though, because it increases my chances of finishing.




Your one AU story, "Without," is also a WIP. Did you run out of inspiration after posting the first few parts, or was there another reason you decided not to finish the story?


Actually, I have not given up nor chosen not to finish it. You would be amazed by the file of unfinished fics I have. But I intend to finish every single one. Sometimes my inspiration just winds down on something and one day-BAM! It's strange. A fic will sit unloved and untouched for months or even years and then I will suddenly swoop in on a renewed surge of inspiration and polish it off in an evening.




If I were sitting down to write my very first story, what would your advice be?


Give yourself time. Don't feel as if it has to be done RightNow. Ficfests and challenges are fun, but sometimes it genuinely just takes *time* to make the story work right. Not for everyone, but it is something you should allow yourself if it turns out you need it. Also, it can be helpful to start out with writing the characters you know best. If you don't feel that you understand Scott at all, don't write a story from his point of view. It will be painful for you and likely won't make for quite as compelling a read for others because your lack of enthusiasm will show. Make sure that, first and foremost, you are excited about the story.




Most of your stories were written about/posted after/based on the first X-Men movie. Did you see X2? Do you plan on writing any X-Men fan fic in the future, or have you moved on to new fandoms?


I saw and own X2. I have plot bunnies, but many of them have been channeled into rpgs that I run. In the future, I do plan to write more X-Men fic, both finishing up in-progress works and making up some whole new stories. I always work in multiple fandoms, however. It gives me variety and lets me play with all sorts of characters and situations. It's fun, and that's what fic is all about. To tell the truth, I am even in the process of writing a Hercules fic, and that was my very first internet fandom. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.