Author's Chapter Notes:
Written for the X-men Lyric Wheel…I went for something sweet this time. "I’ll Have To Say I Love You In A Song," by Jim Croce. Lyrics submitted by rodlox.
It was Saturday night and Marie was on her way down the hall to Logan’s room for their movie ritual. She liked to think of it as a sort of date night, but knew he didn’t see her in that way at all. Oh well, she’d take what she could get. She sighed as she got to his door and reached out to knock. Before she could even make contact with the door she heard him call her in.

“Come on in kid,” Logan called as he heard Marie’s footsteps approaching his door. He looked forward to their weekly movie night a little more than he wanted to admit to himself. She walked in and plopped down beside him on the bed.

“What are we watching tonight, sugar?” she asked.

“You’re in for a special treat tonight Marie, I got us that movie you keep bugging me to see with you, “French Kiss”. With a title like that I couldn’t resist!”

Marie stifled a giggle. She loved that movie because of how the characters wound up unknowingly falling in love. She wondered what the video store clerk had thought of a guy like Logan renting such a chick flick. Then she started to wonder how Logan was going to react once he realized what kind of movie it was. Yep, this should be a great movie night.

They settled in to watch the movie and after about a half hour Marie had cuddled her way under Logan’s arm. She was so engrossed in the movie that she didn’t even seem to notice, but Logan had. He’d been thinking of Marie more and more lately as more than just the friend she was. He didn’t feel right with those thoughts since they were so close and he was afraid of ruining the best friendship he’d ever had, but maybe they weren’t so wrong. She seemed plenty comfortable with him. She was sitting there all cuddled up next to him. Maybe now would be a good time to find out.

“Hey, Marie?”

“Yeah, sugar, what is it?” Marie answered without taking her eyes from the movie.

“Oh, nothing, never mind, you just keep watching the movie.”

Now he had her attention. Logan never held back what he was going to say to her.

“Logan, what is it? Don’t you like the movie?” she asked.

“The movie’s fine. Not exactly what I thought it was going to be, but it’s still pretty good. That Luc character’s pretty funny.”

Well, if Logan wasn’t going to say whatever it was he started to say she’d just have to wait him out. He wasn’t the kind of guy you could pry something out of if he wasn’t ready to share.

The movie ended and Marie had fallen asleep, so Logan tucked a blanket around her and got under the covers on his side of the bed. He watched her for a while wondering if and how he could tell her how he was beginning to feel, then he eventually fell asleep too.

By Wednesday Marie was ready to pull her hair out. Logan had barely said two words to her since movie night. She wanted to know what was going on. It was even starting to feel like he was avoiding her. She’d come down to dinner just as he was finishing. She’d go to visit him in his room and he’d just be leaving for a run. This was getting ridiculous! She decided to give him until Saturday. If he ditched her on movie night then she’d know something was up.

Logan was at a loss. He didn’t mean to avoid Marie, but every time he was near her he would suddenly run out of things to say. He was going to have to figure out something soon or he’d be losing her friendship anyway.

Saturday night finally arrived and Marie was on her way to Logan’s room again. This week it was her turn to rent the movie and she’d decided to give him a little payback for ignoring her by picking out her favorite Disney movie, “Beauty and the Beast”. She made it to his door and reached to knock, and for once he didn’t beat her to it. Things really were getting weird. She knocked twice before he finally opened the door. Marie’s jaw just about hit the ground as she saw his room behind him. There were candles scattered around the room and a song playing softly.

“What’s going…” Marie started, but Logan put a gloved finger to her lips.

“I thought maybe we could do something a little different tonight. Just listen to the song, okay?”

So Marie listened…

Well, I know it’s kind of late
I hope I didn’t wake you
But what I got to say can’t wait
I know you’d understand
Ev’ry time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I’ll have to say I love you in a song

Yeah, I know it’s kind of strange
But ev’ry time I’m near you
I just run out of things to say
I know you’d understand
Ev’ry time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I’ll have to say I love you in a song


…and when the song was over she had tears in her eyes. Logan took her scarf and draped it over her face and gave her a first kiss sweeter than anything she’d ever seen in the movies.



I’ll Have To Say I Love You In A Song

Well, I know it’s kind of late
I hope I didn’t wake you
But what I got to say can’t wait
I know you’d understand
Ev’ry time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I’ll have to say I love you in a song

Yeah, I know it’s kind of strange
But ev’ry time I’m near you
I just run out of things to say
I know you’d understand
Ev’ry time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I’ll have to say I love you in a song

Ev’ry time the time was right
All the words just came out wrong
So I’ll have to say I love you in a song

Yeah, I know it’s kind of late
I hope I didn’t wake you
But there’s something that I just got to say
I know you’d understand
Ev’ry time I tried to tell you
The words just came out wrong
So I’ll have to say I love you in a song

By Jim Croce