Author's Chapter Notes:
There's a quote from one of my favorite romance novels. Free early copy of my next part if anyone can tell me the book's title. (Bonus if you can tell me the author!) //telepathy//
Logan was on the road four days later. He'd snuck the information he'd needed out of an unsuspecting Storm, packed the school's SUV and was after Marie. He knew she was upset with him. Hell, he'd be lucky if she didn't rip him a new one. But he had to see her. To know she was okay. Even to hold her...if she'd let him near her after his stupid mental stunt.

She held the other half of his soul.

What a mess he was in. He pulled over to the side of the road, reached into his pocket and pulled out the small box he'd been carrying around for weeks. He'd been trying to work up the courage to ask her since that day. Then, Fear had set in.

It was a sad day indeed when the Wolverine was scared of the feelings a young woman engendered in him. She'd been a part of his life for years—the best part of his life. What if he lost her, he'd thought. How would he survive?

Well, now he had lost her…maybe for good.

NOOOOOO! He couldn't think that way. He needed her. She was the softer part of himself. She made him strong. Without her, he never would have found a purpose. Never would have cared about another person. Too caught up in finding his past to think about his future.

He'd brought the SUV because taking the cycle meant he and Marie wouldn't be able to talk. And he loved talking to Marie. Even before they'd become lovers, some of his best nights had been spent with his Rogue, talking and laughing `bout stuff. He'd never been a talker before Marie. He got the feeling that if he couldn't fix this, if she left him, he'd never talk again. That every good and decent bit of humanity he had in him was because of a young woman who'd smuggled herself into his truck, then his life…and now his heart.

Logan growled softly. It was almost embarrassing, what being without Rogue had driven him to. He'd asked Scott's advice. Scooter! Kid would never let him live it down, but at the same time, Scott understood being without the woman your heart called to. The SUV had been Scooter's idea. "Talk to her where she can't pretend she can't hear you," was his advice. Great. If it worked, he and Marie would have to name their first child after the dweeb. Logan shook his head ruefully. It amazed him to this day how well he and One-eye got along after Jean…

He paused, slowed down. Jean. The name didn't tear at him any more. He still felt sadness at a life snuffed out but it more the sadness at the loss of a friend. How odd. It had been so long since he had bothered examining his grief.

Since shortly before Marie.

Marie was fond of romances. There was one she'd quoted to him once. She said the hero had been so intent on punishing himself for crimes against his own mind he'd hurt the woman he loved doing it. "He'd gotten so used to an old song he couldn't hear that a new one had begun. As if he'd fallen into a mental rut and couldn't see his way out of it", she'd read to him one day. He'd gotten the feeling at the time she'd been trying to tell him somethin', but he hadn't heard until just now.

Until his heart was traveling on empty without her by his side.

He pulled back on the road and stepped on the gas. He'd hurt her. His mate. If any other man had done so, Logan would have pulled the man's intestines out through his nose. But Logan had hurt her. Now he had to fix it. He had to find a way to heal what he had broken.

Before he was permanently stuck traveling on empty.