Author's Chapter Notes:
An 'alector' is 'a person who is unable to sleep'. I found the term in The Insomniac's Dictionary and since I have trouble coming up with titles.... I'm an insomniac myself and have been known to bake at odd hours. I had to get this story out, it was one of those, so there's a possibility it might be pretty lame. Don't say I didn't warn you.
At Three:

I didn't know why I was awake at three or what drew me to the kitchen. I wasn't hungry, or thirsty even, but the kitchen seems like such a logical place to be at that hour, so there I went. I was about to go through the door when I heard her.

Rogue.

I tightened my robe sash, yet didn't feel right about going in the room. I tend to be a solitary insomniac; maybe she was too. Who knows my reasoning--I certainly didn't--but I lurked. I skulked. I stood in the hallway outside the kitchen listening, until the noises got the better of me.

Muted crashes, clanks and a giggle or two.

Peering around the door, I realized what was happening.

No, nothing smutty.

Rogue was baking, in her long robe, a pair of headphones on her ears and presumably her Discman in her pocket, for she was singing. It was Jennifer Lopez, I think; I don't usually pay attention to the teens music, however it sounded like that song "Waiting For Tonight". There was a brownie mix on the counter.

Rogue baking. Those aren't two words I usually think of in the same sentence. I had no idea she knew how. Was she the one who'd been making brownies nearly every night for two weeks? Did she make them for herself or for Jubilee and Kitty? I decided to make my presence known and took a step forward as Logan suddenly appeared from the other entrance.

He just-poof! -appeared.

He's good at that, so good it's annoying and freaky. One minute you're by yourself and the next he's scaring the piss out of you by drawling something sarcastic.

He was bare chested, as usual. You'd think he could manage, at a school, to keep his chest covered, but that skill seems to be beyond him. He was also barefoot, feet making no noise on the floor.

Rogue set the timer, singing and shaking with the music, oblivious to the man coming up behind her.

"Waiting for tonight, oh, oh, oh.... Oh!" She jumped as Logan touched her shoulder, then switched off her c.d. and removed the headphones. "Logan, you scared me, Sugah."

Sugah?

"Sorry."

His tone indicated he wasn't though. I should have gone, I know, but couldn't seem to move, while the delicious smell of brownies drifted towards me. Rogue set her Discman aside. I think her hands were shaking. Logan pressed her against the cupboards, his hands undoing her robe.

"Logan, no...."

"C'mon, Marie." He released the tie of her robe, grasping the edges. "Just a couple minutes. You know you want to."

He said it as though her consent was a sure thing. I knew he'd been pursuing her, but just how close had they gotten in the four months he'd been back?

"What if someone comes in?"

"I imagine they'll leave pretty quickly, Darlin'."

Did he know I was there? Was it a veiled taunt or did my imagination make it out that way? With his sense of smell, he had to know I was there.

He pushed the edges of her robe aside and I could see his hands sliding over a silky looking dark blue nightgown, the kind found in Victoria's Secret, filmy on some places and clinging on all. He ran his hands all over her and I wanted to look away and couldn't, but I did press closer to the crack in the door.

"L-logan..." Rogue's head fell back as her robe slipped down her arms, dark hair spilling over the alabaster paleness of her skin. One of Logan's hands curled in the white streak in her hair, his lips on her neck, safe from her deadly skin by one of her filmy scarves.

He likes to live dangerously.

The timer blared and I willed myself to move, my own heartbeat racing.

The oven door opened and closed.

"I've been waiting for you, Marie."

"Ah know."

Quiet. I leaned close to that crack again, straining to hear.

"Come to my room with me."

"Tonight?"

"Right now, Darlin'. I want you."

Nothing like being blunt, but when is Logan anything but?

"Ah can't keep goin' to your room, Logan."

"Well, we sure as hell can't go to yours, unless you want to give Jubilee and Kitty an education."

"Logan! If Mr. Summers or Ms. Grey finds out...."

"They can't say one damn word. You're eighteen. You're fully legal to do whatever you choose..." He paused, "or whomever you choose."

I imagined her blushing at that.

"Let's go to my room, Darlin', because I can't do the things I'm thinking of without privacy."

I started to leave and heard someone coming towards the kitchen. It was either go in, or be found skulking.

I went into the kitchen.

Rogue's robe was tied again and she was filling a plate with brownies, her face flushing when she saw me. I knew she was wondering just how much I'd heard. Logan quirked a brow, gaze challenging, daring me to object. A smile hovered at the corners of his mouth.

"Want a brownie, Jean?" He asked innocently.

He knew I'd been in the hall the whole time.


At four:

They must have come up right after me, for no sooner had I slipped into bed beside a loudly snoring Scott, than I began to hear Rogue. It started as barely there moans, which led soon after to slightly louder cries of, "Please, Logan, please, yes..." and finally what sounded like she was having trouble breathing. I lay listening to them, occasionally wondering why no one was banging on Logan's door and thinking, duh, Logan's door. No one was going to demand he quite causing Rogue to make those noises.

The boys were probably awake wondering just how he was doing her, and there was no doubt in my mind that Logan was doing Rogue, when she shrieked loudly, was silent for a moment, then began moaning the "Oh Logan, yes" bit again. He was a creative man and I could think of a couple ways around the skin problem without even trying.

His voice joined hers in the grunts and groans and often strange words that accompany the very best, totally abandoned lovemaking. The headboard banged the wall and Scott jerked awake with a snort.

"W-wha--" He stared in the direction of Logan's room. "Not again!" He mumbled angrily and pulled a pillow over his head. That lasted only a second before he tossed it aside. "Who is it this time? Remy or Logan?"

I stared at him.

Just then, Rogue's voice fairly screamed, "Logan!"

Scott sighed. "Oh. It's him. Damn."

"Scott?"

"I just lost five bucks to Jubilee."

"You placed a bet with Jubilee on when Logan and Rogue...." I trailed off.

He nodded sadly. "Yeah. There was a pool, you see."

I rolled over and yanked the covers over me as Rogue began moaning again.



The Next Afternoon:

"There you two are!" Jubilee ran across the lawn towards Logan and Rogue, a thick envelope in her hands. "I've been looking everywhere for you!"

They exchanged a glance and a shrug. Rogue smiled at her friend. "What's up, J.?"

"I took up a little...collection. Here." She thrust the envelope at Rogue.

Logan took it, opened it. "How much is in here?"

"Well, there's like, a couple hundred or so. It's a shame that you two never go out to the city for dinner or anything, so I got people to...donate to the cause. Romantics, you know. Some people just kept giving...."

Logan gave her a suspicious look, but nodded. "Thanks, kid."

Rogue frowned. She was well aware of Jubilees' wild schemes. "Jubes..."

"Oh, gosh, the Professor just called me, gotta go, see ya!" She turned and ran.

"Logan, I think she conned..."

"Yeah, I think so too, Darlin', but at least she gave us the money." He took her gloved hand in his. "You feel like goin' out? I mean, Jubilee did give us this for a reason."

"Okay. Should I change?"

"No. You're beautiful the way you are." He curled one white streak about a finger and drew her scarf across her face before kissing her in the bright afternoon sunlight for all to see.