Author's Chapter Notes:
There's got to be a morning after...wait, wrong song.
Every Time I See Your Face

It was late when Logan woke; he could tell from the slant of the sunlight through the windows. That was unusual. For a long moment he wasn’t sure where he was; not unusual in itself, but the fact that it didn’t worry him certainly was. Generally he would have been awake in a flash.

He stretched an arm out, reaching across the bed towards the girl.

Marie was gone.

Now he was awake. It wasn’t possible that she’d gotten up without waking him. It just didn’t work that way. Unless he’d been drugged, he didn’t sleep that soundly.

“Mornin’.” She was standing in the doorway, wearing a white kimono embroidered with brilliant colors—butterflies, he realized. She was holding two mismatched mugs and he smelled coffee. She came across the room and he sat up; she handed him one mug and leaned over for a quick kiss. “Didn’t want to wake you.”

He leaned back against the head of the bed and took a deep draught of the coffee. “Thanks.” It was strong and black. She sat down on the bed and tucked her knees up, wrapping her arms around them and sipping her own coffee. In the morning sunlight, she looked even younger than she had last night; her face was freshly scrubbed and her hair was pulled back in a ponytail. Christ, what happened here?

She looked up and caught his eyes on her. “What?”

“Nothin’.” This was all really strange. Girls like her didn’t just take up with men like him. They didn’t take them home with them, and if they got drunk enough to do that they sure as hell didn’t serve them coffee in the morning, wrapped up in silk and smiling like—

He put the coffee down on the nightstand and thrust back the sheet that covered him. He headed for the small bathroom he saw off the bedroom, just wanting to get away from that gaze and that smile, because this was all way too confusing and he hated feeling confused. He heard a soft giggle and half turned, a hand on the bathroom door.

She was still smiling. “Didn’t get to enjoy the view last night,” she drawled. “Nice ass.”

His eyes narrowed and he all but slammed the door behind him. He was relieved to find the room was plain and unornamented, not crowded with flowery soaps or frilly shower curtains. He used the facilities quickly and splashed some water on his face. Then he looked around, automatically reaching for a towel that hung on a rack to his left. He hesitated. What the fuck was he doing?

He was actually considering covering up, that was what, because a girl who’d picked him up in a bar was sitting out there, with a naughty smile and big brown eyes—

Waiting to ‘enjoy the view’. Jesus christ.

Scowling, he grabbed the towel and wrapped it around his waist before he could think any more about it. Thanking whatever deities might be listening that she at least had the sense to buy white linens, he shoved the door open and stalked back out.

Marie was still sitting on the bed, and she gave him a look of mock outrage. “Hey. That’s not fair. You got to see me last night.”

He went to the nightstand and retrieved his coffee. “I was here last night too, seems to me.”

“It was dark.” She ran her tongue over her lower lip. “And I was kinda…distracted.” She set her own coffee down and slid across the bed towards him. He grabbed her wrist before she could snatch the towel away.

“Marie…” It was a warning growl and it didn’t seem to faze her at all. She made a playful grab with her other hand and he had to dodge back, almost spilling his coffee. He put it back down and caught her other wrist just in time. “Cut it out, will you?” What was it with this girl and pouring him drinks she didn’t intend to let him finish? He transferred both slim wrists to one of his hands and held her at arm’s length while he grabbed the mug and finished the coffee, quickly. Then he let her go with a little push and started around the bed, heading for where he’d left his clothes.

“What’re you doing?”

He shot her an annoyed look. “Gettin’ dressed.”

“Oh.” She watched as he retrieved his jeans and stepped into them, pulling them up before discarding the towel. “You got to be somewhere, I guess.”

He put his hands on his hips and just stared at her for a second. What the hell did she think was going on here? “It’s morning.”

“I know.” She looked—disappointed? Sad? He didn’t quite know how to define it. “I just hoped you wouldn’t have to rush off, that’s all.”

Logan found his t-shirt, half under the bed, and started to turn it right-side out. “Look, Marie—“ Then suddenly she moved, rising to her knees and reaching out to take the shirt from his hands.

“You don’t have to go,” she said. “What’s wrong?”

He didn’t know what to say to her. This was such an unprecedented situation, and she obviously expected something from him. “Look,” he repeated. “Last night—things got kinda out of control.” She just looked back at him, waiting for him to continue. “I didn’t mean to…take advantage.”

“I’m not a baby,” she said. “You didn’t take advantage of me. I invited you, remember?” Those brown eyes just looked puzzled now, slightly hurt.

“You don’t even know me, kid.” He grabbed his shirt back from her and looked around for his boots.

“You’re friends with Toby.” He didn’t know why that would matter, but she seemed to think it did. “I don’t exactly go around bringing random men home, you know.”

He hadn’t thought that. “Marie—“

“And I think…it would be nice if you didn’t rush outta here like you can’t stand the sight of me.” Her hand closed over his wrist. “Relax, Logan. I’m not askin’ you to marry me.”

He couldn’t help cracking a smile at that, and she tugged on his arm. “You’re really something.”

“Yeah. I’m a pushy little mutant.” She pulled harder until he was leaning over the bed, over her. “What’s the matter, you don’t like the coffee?”

“Coffee’s fine.” He leaned closer, until he could nuzzle at the soft skin of her neck. She still smelled amazing.

“So stay for a while.” She put her arms around his neck. “Please?” She tipped her head back and batted her lashes exaggeratedly.

“Why?” Not that it mattered, with her hands running down his chest that way.

“I don’t know. Just because. Oh—“ She gasped a little as he slipped a hand inside her silk robe and closed it over one breast.

Logan eased her down onto her back and knelt over her. He knew he ought to go, but her eyes were inviting his touch and the softness of her flesh under his hand was intoxicating. His fingers tugged at the tie of the kimono and it fell open. He bent his head to her breasts, nibbling and licking until he drew that moan from her again. He raised his head and she was still smiling at him.

“Come on. Take these off.” One small hand tugged at the top of his jeans.

“Why?” he repeated, but he was already reaching for the buttons.

“’Cause I want a better look at that gorgeous body,” she breathed. “That’s why.”

Logan had the jeans off in short order, and Marie’s admiring gaze did all kinds of good things for his ego. She sat up a little, the white silk robe falling to either side, and reached out to run her hand over the length of him. He held himself still, letting her explore his body in a way he hadn’t allowed her to do the night before. She stroked his already-hard shaft with a firm touch, bringing her other hand up to run over his chest.

“Like what you see?” He threw her own words back at her.

“God, yeah. You’re—perfect.”

He raised an eyebrow. The studied look of concentration on her face was something to see. “Don’t know about that.”

“Come here.” He let her draw him back down onto the bed, onto sheets that now smelled like both of them. He lay back and she leaned over him, pressing her lips against his neck and shoulders. He reached up towards her breasts and she caught his hand, bringing it up to her lips. “No. Let me, this time.”

He never did that, let a woman take the lead. No matter whether it was in a cheap motel room, up against the bathroom wall in some bar, it was always him giving the commands, taking what he wanted, giving only what he chose. Somehow, though, he wanted to see what she’d do enough to let his hand drop back to his side.

Marie let the kimono slide from her shoulders, baring herself as well, and knelt over him, bringing her lips against his in a long, slow kiss. Then her mouth moved down his chin, down his neck, her tongue teasing him. She shifted down, letting her breasts skim against his body as she moved, and the temptation to reach up for her, to crush her against him, was almost too much.

He stayed still, and her mouth and hands on his chest and stomach continued to send thrills through every nerve. She went slowly, discovering the reactions her ministrations awakened, and he closed his eyes against the intensity of it.

Then she was kneeling between his legs and he was all but trembling with the anticipation of the feel of her mouth on him. When it came, he twisted his head roughly to one side with the effort to remain still. She nuzzled against him first, her lips brushing up and down his rigid length lightly, tantalizing him further before slowly, almost lazily, letting the tip of his erection slide between her lips.

Her mouth was so hot; her tongue darted teasingly along his shaft and her nails trailed along the inside of one thigh, exciting every nerve in his body. She took more of him, her tongue drawing him deeper into her mouth, and again it was all he could do not to move, not to throw her down and drive into her, taking back the control she was rapidly stealing from him.

But it was good, so good, and he didn’t want the way her tongue and hands were moving on him to stop, so he stayed where he was, and it just got better. She varied the rhythm, slowing and almost letting him slip from her mouth, then taking him even more deeply as her tongue worked against him. He was throbbing with need when she closed her hand around his sac, swallowing hard around him as she did, and it threw him over the edge. His hips thrust upwards as he came, hard, and she didn’t pull away. She gentled her touch and the stroke of her tongue against his shaft, but not until the tremors running through him had stopped did she finally raise her head, her hand closing over him as her mouth left him. She stretched out, leaning back against his thigh, her hand still stroking him idly. “That was real nice, sugar.”

Nice. His head was still spinning. “Come here,” he managed, and caught at her arm to haul her up and against him. He took her head in his hands and brought her mouth down to his roughly; the taste of himself on her made him wild. He rolled over, pinning her underneath him and reclaiming the dominant role.

“You never get tired, do you?” Marie’s voice was breathless in a way that excited him even further.

“Healing factor,” he said briefly. His hand slid down her stomach.

“That’s real convenient—ooh—“ She caught her breath as his fingers stroked over her.

“What about you, baby?” Logan made himself slow down. She might be sore already.

“I can take whatever you can dish out,” she said, and moved her hips up against his hand. That was all the invitation he needed; all he could manage to wait for. He thrust into her, sheathing himself to the hilt in one stroke. Her eyes opened wide at the sensation and her hands flew up to his arms. “God—Logan—“

His name, with that breathy intonation, sounded like a prayer. He answered it, plunging into her over and over, slowing only so he could be sure he was taking her with him. Her hands clutched at his arms as he dipped his head to her neck, sucking and biting at the tender flesh. He ground his hips against hers, increasing every point of contact between them, demanding and receiving the response he wanted from her. She fought for her own climax, matching him thrust for thrust, and when she cried out he closed his mouth over hers, capturing whatever words spilled from those lush lips and taking them into himself. He could feel her moan within his own throat as he stroked harder, claiming even more from her as he drove toward his own completion. With another thrust he felt that peculiarly rapturous insanity overtake him again; when he could see and think coherently again he realized he was gripping her shoulders hard enough he’d probably leave bruises.

He slid out of her and fell heavily onto his back beside her. Marie turned onto her side, curling her body against his. He felt her hand steal up to his chest and put his own over it, holding it there, holding it still.

“Glad you stayed?” she teased.

“Hell, yeah.” He laughed. He seemed to be saying that a lot lately.