I can't get rid of you
I don't know what to do
I don't even know who is growing on who
'Cos everywhere I go you're there
Can't get you out of my hair
Can't pretend that I don't care - it's not fair
(The Darkness ~ Growing On Me)


His head is pounding, a feeling he isn’t too familiar with. The room he is in smells of anti-septic, and the bright light creeps through his closed eyelids, sending sharp pains through his brain.

Then he notices movement to his side, and his hand shoots out, catching somebody’s arm. His nose twitches, and he relaxes. Rogue. God, she’s alive.

“Hey.”

“Hey yourself.” Her voice is soft, so low that only he can hear her.

“Whatcha doin’ here?”

“I... I wanted to be here, when you woke up. I wanted to see if... you’d be okay.” She sniffles a little and turns away quickly.

He smiles a little. “That worried about me, huh?”

She wipes at her eyes angrily, then glares at him. “You big moron! You could’ve died!”

“You would’ve.”

She sniffles again, remaining silent. Then, “I know.” Smiles at him, and his heart aches at the thought that he won’t be able to touch her without landing in the med lab. “Thank you.” She leans down, and he actually holds his breath as she places the shadow of a kiss on his brow. Not out of fright. Amazement.

As she moves back he grins lopsidedly. “This mean I might have a chance?”

She laughs. “Keep tryin’, big guy.” Then, with a soft smile. “’sides, might turn out to be a good match. After all, I now know all your little secrets.. and preferences.” And with a soft tap to his temple, she turns around and leaves the med lab, leaving him in stunned silence.

The END