You made me feel alright for once in my life
Now all that’s left of me
Is what I pretend to be
So together but so broken up inside
(Kelly Clarkson ~ Behind These Hazel Eyes)


He knew that he’d be no match for Magneto, and he still tried to protect her from him. But for once his metal skeleton did nothing to help him, quite the contrary, really. Only that had enabled Magneto to blast him into the back of that train wagon when they had tried to get Layla out of there. No one knew what Magneto wanted with her, and wasn’t it ironic that it wasn’t Layla he wanted at all.

Now he stands there in the head of the Statue of Liberty, listening to her screams. He doesn’t know what he wants to do first – kill Magneto for doing this to her or kill himself for letting this happen.

“Gotta get her out of there. Cyclops, can you hit it?”

Scott takes aim, then shakes his head. “The ring’s moving too fast.”

Anger, fear seizes him. “Just shoot it!”

“I’ll kill her!”

And then, somehow, Jean and Storm manage to get him up to the ring. Rogue is beneath him, so close he can smell her tears. She’s not moving... Frantic, he pulls off his glove and gently puts his hand on her cheek, waiting for the pain to set in as her powers start draining him.

But nothing happens.

Come on, kid. Come on!

And just when he’s about to give up, that pain shoots through him, white-hot pain that eradicates everything and leaves him with only one thought: You’ll live.

And as he slips into merciful unconsciousness, he hears her gasp and feels how she struggles out of his embrace, hears her whisper, “God, Logan, no!” and he almost smiles, before darkness envelopes him.