Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks go to Plainlayz for the beta again.
Having raced to NYU, the X-Men pulled in front of the main building. The Professor gave instructions to the team about how to proceed as Scott helped him out of the SUV and into his wheelchair.

“Scott and I will pay a visit to the administrative office; I’m sure they wouldn’t turn away one of their sponsors. Jean, Ororo, Remy, Jubilee and Bobby, try and locate Kitty; please do so quietly, as we don’t want to alarm any of the students or staff members here.”

All agreeing, the team set off in different directions; the younger members toward the library and the senior ones to Kitty’s last class of the day.

In the library, Remy grilled many of the study groups, asking, none to gently, if they had seen his teammate.

Bobby eyed him suspiciously from the checkout area, “What’s his problem?” He asked Jubilee.

“Don’t know dude, but lately, he’s been stompin’ around like Wolvie with a bad case of blue balls.”

“Jubilee?!” Whispered Bobby harshly.

“What? I’m just sayin’. Look, he‘s leaving. Let‘s go.”

Outside the administrative office, Scott waited patiently for the Professor to come out.

“Anything, Sir?” Scott asked as The Professor exited the office.

The response was disappointing, “I‘m afraid not.”

Outside of the Lecture Hall, Jean and Ororo waited for the lesson to end before speaking with Kitty’s professor.

“Ro’, I’ve been meaning to ask you, how are things going with you and Remy?”

Sighing, the weather goddess turned to face Jean, “Well, we haven’t been speaking.”

“Why? What happened?”

“I wish I knew. He’s gone out every night this week and come back reeking of alcohol. He won’t tell me what’s wrong and snaps at anyone else who asks.”

“I’m sorry, but I’m sure things will work themselves out.”

“I‘m not sure that I want them to.”

“You can’t mean that.”

“Why not? Maybe Remy and I just aren’t suited for each other after all…”

Students began filing out into the hallway and both women welcomed the temporary distraction.

“But I think we have more important things to worry about.”

The Professor and Scott approached the Lecture Hall just in time to see Jean and Ororo finish up their chat with Professor Kenert.

Remy stalked toward the Hall with Jubilee and Bobby in tow.

“What is it Jean?” Asked The Professor, sensing her concern.

“Kitty never showed up to class.” Jean told him.

“And no one has seen her since late this afternoon.” Added Ro’, worried for her young friend.

“Was there any sign of Rogue?” Scott asked.

“We asked, but none of the students saw anyone matching her description.” Replied Bobby.

The Professor sighed, “I suggest we return to the Mansion and I will try to locate Kitty with cebero again.”

Wheeling himself to the door, he paused as he heard groaning, “Jean do you hear that?”

“Yes, but where’s it coming from?”

Closing his eyes The Professor concentrated, “In the supply closet… it‘s Kitty.”

Pulling the door open, Scott saw Kitty crumpled up in a corner. Jean rushed over as the young girl began to gain consciousness. Kneeling beside her, Jean checked Kitty over and helped her to a nearby chair.

“Kitty, are you hurt?” Bobby asked.

“No, I’m just a little woozy.” She answered, taking the bottle of water Scott offered her.

The Professor clasped his hands in his lap, “Can you tell us what happened?”

“Yeah. I was studying in here when this girl walked in.”

“Did you recognise her?” Scott asked.

“Yeah, I mean I’d seen her around here, but it‘s not like I knew her.”

“What happened then?”

“Well, basically, she asked me if I could deliver a message to Wolverine for her. When I asked how she knew him, she told me that she‘d been… ‘fucking him to death‘ the other night. Then it got really weird.”

“Weirder than that?” Asked Jubilee.

“Yeah, her appearance changed. First she was blonde, next thing I know she’s got brown hair with these creepy white highlights in her bangs.”

“A shape-shifter.” Said Jean, encouraging Kitty to continue.

“Then she grabbed hold of me, there was blinding pain… and I woke up here.”

“This doesn’t make sense. Why lure Logan out here when she isn‘t here herself to see the plan through?” Scott asked, “What’s she playing at?”

Looking around the room. The Professor’s eyes widened, “Her goal was to lure us here, not Logan.”



Horror filled the faces of The X-Men at his words.

Going as fast as they could the team headed back to the Mansion, praying that it wasn’t too late.

Popping his claws, Logan rammed them into a tree.

“Now what did that little ol’ tree ever do to you?” Asked an amused voice.

Spinning around, Logan was shocked that he hadn’t heard her coming.

“What’s the matter lover?”

“How?” Logan asked, studying her.

“Ah’m just chock full of surprises sugah.”

Logan stared into the young woman’s ageless eyes for a moment before questioning her again, “How much is my life worth to you darlin’?”

“Hundred thousand.”

“I’m impressed.”

“Don’t be, it was only fifty to begin with. But Ah managed to renegotiate.”

“Is that right?”

“Yup. Mah clients are idiots.”

“So, why are you working for them?”

“Boy, ya’ sure are slow on the uptake. They’re payin’ idiots, that’s why… now anything else ya’ wanna’ say before I kill ya’?”

Shifting into a fighting stance, Logan smirked, “Gonna’ hafta’ come for me first darlin’.”

“Ah already have, sugah.” Came the flirtatious reply.

With a roar, he lunged at Rogue attempting to tackle her. Using the powers she had borrowed from Kitty, she phased through him then pointed off the assault with a roundhouse kick. Popping his neck back into place, Logan shucked the blades from his knuckles.

“Ooh… Ah’m scared now.” Rogue mocked, dodging out of his reach with each swipe.

Knocking Logan flat on his back with a sweep of her foot, Rogue stood over him; raising her boot to his throat, but he caught it and pushed her back. Getting back onto her feet with unparalleled speed, Rogue was met with a crushing blow. Blood filled her mouth as Logan’s fist connected with her chin; she answered the insult by breaking his nose in two places. Rogue watched with psychotic eyes as it healed; leaving only dark red blood as evidence. Using the sensory delay to her advantage, she threw herself towards Logan, fusing her hands onto his face.

A red beam shot through the woods, hitting Rogue square in the chest. The X-Men came running through the trees, surrounding their fallen team-mate. Staggering to her feet, Rogue grinned wickedly at Cyclops who had a hand on his visor for a follow-up blast. The hole in Rogue’s abdomen healed and within moments a set of bone claws extended from her fist; the display left everyone with their mouths hanging open.

“Okay, so which one of ya’ turkeys should Ah carve first? How bout’ it Iceman? Feel like bein’ a hero? Or ya’ wanna’ leave it up to Mr. Fearless Leader over there?”

Whirling around to where Jean kneeled over Logan, Rogue grabbed the woman and threw her into the arms of Scott.

As Rogue did her own once over of The Wolverine to ensure that she‘d taken him out, Nightcrawler teleported in behind her with a tranquilizer gun. He shot Rogue with a total of six darts before stepping aside to avoid her body as it hit the dirt with a loud thud.

Later, in debriefing, the team was informed of Logan’s likely recovery.

“What about Rogue?” Asked Scott, hoping against all hope that she hadn’t survived.

“She’s unconscious, but very much alive… for now. I need to find out who she is working for and why they’ve sent her after Logan.” Came The Professor’s reply.

“I understand Sir.”

Dismissing the team, The Professor waited until everyone had exited before making his way down to the school’s lowest level where an unconscious Rogue was being held.