Glancing down the road behind her Rogue couldn’t shake the eerie feeling of being watched. In a quick movement of muscles, she jerked her jacket tighter around her and headed into the diner.

“How you doing tonight?” Bart greeted Rogue with a gapped tooth smile and a cup of coffee.

“Good,” Rogue declared with a shrug, “Missing him though.”

“You look a little shaky, somethin’ else on your mind?”

“Just paranoid I guess,” Rogue explained, “I could’ve sworn someone was watching me, that I was followed but I can’t see anyone behind me.”

“Don’t mean nothing. Could be there, just cause you don’t see ‘em don’t mean that they ain’t there.”

Rogue nodded her head quickly and settled into the battered old booth, “How ‘bout you? How you doing tonight?”

“Good,” Bart declared with a quick shrug, “Busy. That man of yours call?”

“No,” Rogue sighed sadly, “I knew he wouldn’t. He can’t. If the geeks find out he’s interested in me he’ll be out so fast his head would spin. Neither of us could stand that so he won’t call, I won’t cry in front of them, and with any luck the day will come when we can see each other again. Did Holly take the night off?”

Bart chuckled as he leaned against the counter and accepted the change of subject easily, “She’s on the phone with our daughter. With any luck Phyre will be able to come for a visit.”

“Fire? Why would you name your daughter fire?” Rogue gaped at the man.

“Red hair, green eyes,” Bart replied before glancing at her, “Hope Logan’s okay.”

“Me to,” Rogue declared with a grin as Bart moved to serve another customer. Turning her attention away from the window, Rogue settled in with one of the thick novel’s Logan had left in his room.


Logan stalked across the gravel parking lot, an angry tension within his muscles. His sensed told him that there was trouble coming and he knew it wasn’t a fight that they could face without a little assistance. Slipping into the diner behind a trucker he moved toward the back booth, his gaze settling on the beautiful brunette reading quietly, the anger slipping away under the weight of tenderness within his chest. He’d missed her in the three months he’d been gone, missed talking to her, touching her, but he figured that was over now. He was back, and he planned on sticking around this time – regardless of what the geeks said.

Taking the mug of coffee from Holly’s fingers and ignoring her knowing smile he barely paused until he neared the table and set the cup down, “This seat taken?” he growled hiding a smile at her reaction.

Setting the book down slowly, Rogue glanced up carefully, folding her page over even as she saw the smile of the man standing staring at her. Shock quickly gave way to happiness and she clambered into a semi upright position, kneeling on the bench to throw her arms around his neck. Hurried kisses were exchanged, made so fast that her mutation had no hope of kicking in.

“Logan!” she clung to him even as he moved closer to the bench, his arms wrapped around her tightly, pulling her tighter against his hard length. “God I missed you. Are you okay? Did you find out what you needed to? Are you back to stay?”

Laughing softly Logan smacked her butt before pulling back slightly, “I’m fine now. I missed you, couldn’t stop thinking of you. Yes I talked to him; no I didn’t find anything out that we didn’t already know. Turned out to be a huge waste of time, he didn’t know anything new.”

“Betcha Wheels knew it to,” Rogue grumbled angrily.

“Probably,” Logan shrugged as he pulled her closer and sat down, her slight weight in his lap. “But I’m back now, and I ain’t leaving. At least not without you.”

“Good,” Rogue smiled softly, even as her eyes slid out into the darkness just as a dark colored car passed beneath the lamp post. She wouldn’t have seen it if she’d been a few seconds slower, the vehicle didn’t have any lights on. “Did you see anyone outside?”

“No, why?” Logan replied studying the parking lot and noticing the vehicle that parked a few feet away from Rogue’s truck.

“I think I was followed,” Rogue whispered tensely, her body taut, on edge.

“You were,” Logan grunted even as he glanced at Holly who’d picked up on their sudden tension and grabbed for the phone. “Anyone from the mansion know about this place?”

“No,” Rogue replied already moving off his lap and onto the bench in a move designed to give both her and Logan a quick exit if it was needed, “At least I haven’t told anyone about it. This is our place, our escape I wouldn’t trade that off for nothing.”

“Didn’t have to,” Logan growled softly as he stared at the vehicle.

“This isn’t the first time I’ve felt like I was being followed. Seems the past couple of weeks it’s a common sensation. This is the first time I’ve actually seen any sign of it being more than my gut instinct.”

“Could be nothing,” Logan grunted, “But it reeks of something the Prof would do.”

”Who do you think?” Rogue whispered tightly turning to stare at him in shock and horror.

“Who else? His prized pets,” Logan growled even as he noted Holly coming with a pot of coffee, “What’s up?”

“Bernie and the other Constable are on their way,” Holly muttered noting the tension and the fury in both their gazes, “You expecting trouble?”

“Yeah,” Logan drawled, “Have a feeling the geeks are onto us.”

“They really don’t have much say ‘round here,” Holly poured another round of coffee; “After all we ain’t exactly in New York.”

“They work for my guardian,” Rogue sighed, “Don’t matter.”

“Guardian, how old are you girl?” Holly demanded with a raised eyebrow. “Six?”

“Just turned nineteen,” Rogue admitted sadly.

“You’re well over the age of consent darlin’, they better watch their asses or they’ll be doing some time. Bernie said he’d be here in five minutes.”

Logan glanced at Rogue who met his gaze with a sad half smile. Tonight their little world was about to be ripped apart and there wasn’t a damn thing they could do to prevent it.

“I’m sorry,” Rogue whispered sadly, leaning against his shoulder, “If I was alone they wouldn’t even say a word. They wouldn’t have even stopped.”

“But you ain’t alone,” Logan replied quickly, his fingers tangled in her hair; “You’ll never be alone. Fuck their plans and their schemes. We haven’t done a damn thing wrong Marie, not one thing. We both know if it was anyone else sittin’ next to you they wouldn’t have stopped,” Logan murmured. “It’s who you are sitting with that’s the issue. They don’t want us to be together because they know I’ll die for you if I have the choice. They know I won’t let them use you.”

“What are you talking about?” Rogue demanded staring out the window for a second before turning to stare at him. “Are you talkin’ about them wanting me on the team?”

“Yes,” Logan replied.

“I don’t want on the team. I don’t want anything to do with it Logan. I won’t let them..”

“You don’t have a choice,” Logan whispered softly. “It’s one of the reasons he got the courts to give him guardianship over you till you were twenty-one.”

“Fuck them!” Rogue fumed, “I’m not some tool, or a possession.”

Logan smiled softly into her hair, “I know but you’re a valuable resource to them. I remember hearing a murmur from Wheels and Jeannie about your joining the team cause you’d be pretty powerful. I never really thought about it at the time but I’ve had plenty of time to think about it now. I don’t want you on the team Marie, don’t want to watch you risk your life for them but I can’t force you to stay off it. That’s a decision you’ve got to make..”

“I don’t want to be on their team,” Rogue repeated firmly. “I don’t want to risk you getting hurt trying to save my ass!”

“I don’t want that either, I don’t want you to get hurt, I don’t want you to be put at risk. Their cause ain’t likely to save anyone. I don’t need you getting hurt or killed cause their heads are up their asses.”

Rogue nodded her agreement and turned to scan the parking lot, “Uh oh. Well looks like they got their orders,” she pointed out, “Cause here they come.”

“We ain’t in the wrong,” Logan whispered quickly, “We’re both consenting adults.”

Rogue laughed, “Yeah, it ain’t like we’re screwing on the table or something.”

“Yeah this is a family establishment,” Logan chuckled and tugged on her hair his eyes never leaving the couple walking towards the door. “You ready?”

“Yep,” Rogue glanced at him, “You think they’ll use their mutations?”

“Jean might. Scooter won’t want to draw too much attention to himself.”

“My mental blocks are all on, and they’re pretty strong,” Rogue stated and smirked, “I kept a few things from Magnet head.”

With a slight nod Logan leaned back in his seat, one arm around Rogue in what appeared to be a nonchalant pose. Only Rogue knew just how quickly he could move out of it, how fast he could explode into action and she wondered if Jean or Scott had thought about that.

The jingle of the bell drew a few glances but no movement as Jean and Scott stepped inside. Even from where they stood it was clear that Logan wasn’t about to move and Rogue was content next to him. Neither was aware of how easily read their expressions were.

Rogue shifted nervously even as Logan squeezed her tightly, his expression unreadable. Inching closer to him she cupped her coffee tightly, her chin going up a couple of notches at the hostility in Jean’s gaze as it settled on her.

“Rogue,” Jean’s tone was cold, unemotional and Rogue suppressed a shudder even as she nodded a greeting.

“Dr. Grey what brings you to red-neck restaurant?” Rogue asked with sickening sweetness as a couple of the men at the counter snickered and everyone else in the diner turned to watch the happenings.

“You know the rules,” Jean sighed, her tone and posture one of indulgency, almost as though she was dealing with some petulant child instead of a grown woman with a mind of her own, “You’re not supposed to leave the grounds. Things are too dangerous..”

“For who?” Logan interrupted quickly. “Seems to me she’s fine, she knows how to drive, knows where she can go. Seems to me the only danger is from within.”

“Shut up Logan,” Scott snarled, “You think we’re stupid? Think we wouldn’t notice what was going on? She’s..”

“A grown woman who can make up her own mind,” Logan replied coldly, his gaze steady. “And you two are interrupting our evening. Now unless you’ve come to apologize, I suggest you leave.”

“The only one who’s gonna be leaving is you,” Jean hissed angrily.

“No!” Rogue snarled gathering herself to lunge at Jean across the table only to stop at a gentle touch from Logan. “You will leave us alone, and you’re gonna do it now.”

“Rogue this isn’t smart. You’re not making things any easier. He doesn’t want the same things you do..”

“How do you know?” Rogue hissed at Jean, “Cause from where I’m sitting I’d say the only one who isn’t getting what she wants is you. Can’t stand the thought that the freaky assed mutant with the killer skin gets first crack at the Wolverine huh? He’s mine, he’s staying mine. Go away.”

“Rogue do not use that tone with me. You’re being a child, and a pretty stupid one at that.”

“Shut up Jean,” Logan snarled slowly rising to his feet. “Before you get in over your head.”

“Don’t you threaten me you Neanderthal,” Jean snarled angrily as she glared at him.

“There a problem here?” the deep, distinctly masculine voice had everyone turning to stare at the tall, dark haired man in a dark blue uniform, a thick yellow strip running down each pants leg.

“No,” Scott replied smoothly, “Merely here to pick up our charge.”

“And who would that be?” the question was even, yet held a note of steel.

“Rogue,” Scott replied.

“You got some identification there sir,” Bernie drawled staring at the man with the red visor on. He had no doubt in his mind who he was, Rogue and Logan were regulars, they sat in the same spot every night so obvious the Yank was someone looking for trouble. Sensing his partner shift, moving out from behind him to flank the couple Bernie kept his smile to himself and waited. “Your I.D. as well miss,” he stated looking at the red-head.

With a snort of derision, Scott dug into his pocket for his wallet, pulling out his driver’s license as well as Jean’s. Damn uniforms didn’t really leave room for a lot of storage space, and Jean’s I.D. was always on him anyway. “Here you are officer,” Scott stated calmly. “Do you need to see paperwork as to our charge?”

“Yes I do,” Bernie declared and took the pages that were held out to him. Quickly scanning them he glanced at the couple before looking at the young woman sitting so still at the table, muted fury in her gaze.

“See we’re not the bad guys,” Jean snapped. “We’re merely here to pick up our ward so we can all go home.”

“Well that might be,” Bernie declared dropping the papers on the table and having them snatched away by Rogue who sat back to read them. “But around here we do things a bit differently. I’m gonna go easy on you two, real easy. Now from what those papers say, in the state of New York Mister Charles Xavier is her guardian, however, here those papers are about as real as a three dollar bill. You wanna take her outta here; you’d best go see the judge in the morning. Until then I suggest you get yourselves back to New York.”

“We are in New York,” Jean snapped only to have her arm twisted up behind her back suddenly.

“You people just never learn,” Bernie watched as the good doctor was cuffed, “A night spent in jail should help cool that temper off. Best keep your mind to yourself to,” Bernie smirked, “You ain’t the only telepath out there. And you sir, I’d suggest you go home. I see you back here before the missus goes before the judge, I’ll slap you in cuffs for contempt, and disturbing the peace so fast your little head’ll be spinning.”

With a dark look at Logan who smirked at him, Scott watched as Jean was led out of the restaurant before turning and stalking back to the car. He’d be back in the morning to pick up Jean and get whatever half-baked charges the cops had dreamed up cleared.

“Thanks Bernie,” Logan shook the man’s hand, “Didn’t want to cause a scene you know.”

“Yes you did,” Bernie chuckled, “You’d have gutted ‘em like fish if I hadn’t shown up. Figure the two of you can use those papers better than that pair. We’ll see you later.”

“Drive safe Bernie,” Rogue called as the cop disappeared out the door and into the night. Turning her attention back to the pages, Rogue began to grin. “I think I found something.”

“What?” Logan asked quickly turning to stare at her, one eyebrow going up at her soft giggle. “What?”

“They uh forgot a signature,” she whispered softly and pointed to a line on the bottom of the third page. “You’d think they’d have gotten it.”

Reading over the pages quickly Logan laughed and hugged Rogue, “Nobody ever claimed they were intelligent, darlin’.”

“I know.”

“How long before that one comes back?” Holly asked setting two plates with cake on the table before the couple.

“If he knows what’s good for him, a long, long time. But since it’s Scooter, probably daylight. He’ll have the boss with him as they try to get Jean out of jail.”

“Eech, they’re slick those two but it don’t mean nothing ‘round here,” Holly declared and winked. “Desert’s on me.”

Laughing softly Rogue curled up next to Logan and quickly took a bite of cake off his plate, “Here’s to pulling out the stops,” she whispered feeding him the bite before licking the sticking icing off the fork’s tines. “And to getting what we want.”

“Mmm,” Logan nodded and squeezed her against him, “Yeah. I’m all for that plan.”

“I know,” Rogue replied even as Logan fed her a bite. “So am I.”