Glaring at the page in front of him Logan wished he didn’t have to do this. He knew without a doubt why Chuck had given him this information now, and it had nothing to do with a noble cause. It was simply to get him out of the mansion and away from Rogue for a while. Logan also knew what his refusal to follow up on this would do to both Rogue and himself, and he didn’t like that idea.

“You look pissed,” Rogue’s soft murmur drew his attention upwards and soft smile to his lips.

“I am,” Logan replied quickly, evenly. “I’m pissed at Chuck, and the rest of the geeks and their stupid underhanded tricks.”

“Why?” Rogue asked settling next to him, her chin on his shoulder.

“Because they’ve got me backed into a corner with no way out,” Logan explained quickly. “If I don’t follow up on this lead, I’ll have to offer an explanation. The only explanation I’ve got will mean that both of us are going to suffer.”

“But I thought you’d given that up?” Rogue whispered softly, a puzzled look set upon her face.

“I did. Chuck don’t know that, or know why. We aren’t ready to tell him, to face the way things will happen if they know about us,” Logan replied softly. “Which means I have no choice I have to go check it out, make it look good.”

“Oh no Logan, that ain’t fair.”

“No but its better than losing you, losing what we’ve got,” Logan replied cupping her cheek gently. “I don’t care about them, only about us.”

“You were so close. You had what you needed, what you wanted,” Rogue rubbed her forehead tiredly, her eyes filled with sadness, “Why can’t they understand that?”

“Because it doesn’t fit into their perfect plan, their ‘fight-the-good-fight’ philosophy,” Logan replied quickly and shrugged, “I’m leaving in the morning, and I’m not sure when I’ll get back just know I will be back. Got too much to look forward to coming home to not to come back.”

Rogue nodded quickly a smile gracing her face as she snuggled closer to him, “So what’s on the menu for tonight?”

“How about dessert, followed by a few dances, and watching the sun rise before we leave?” Logan asked softly.

“I like the sounds of that,” Rogue replied impishly, she wasn’t going to get all emotional and ruin their last night together for a while. Instead she’d suck it up and enjoy the time they had.

“I uh was wondering if you’d do me a favor,” Logan asked softly, hours later, as they settled back into the bench. The window revealed the rapidly growing light and they both knew it was nearly time to leave, to go their separate ways to avoid detection.

“Sure, just name it,” Rogue replied softly, leaning back against his chest, her cheek snuggled into his shoulder.

“Wait for me?” Logan asked softly, his gaze serious.

Taking a deep breath Rogue stared at him for a moment before glancing away, “For how long?”

Logan shrugged, both of them knew it wasn’t Rogue’s doubts that were surfacing; rather it was the constant bombardment from those around her that had her questioning her own value in his life.

“Until you stop loving me,” Logan whispered softly, carefully. “Or hell freezes over, which ever comes first.”

Rogue nodded and sighed, “Are you sure?”

Nodding Logan tilted her chin up and smiled softly, “I’ll wait for you for the rest of my life if I have to Marie; a few weeks aren’t going to change that.”

“But..” Rogue huffed in frustration and met his gaze steadily, “Can you tell me where you’re going?”

“Alaska,” Logan replied seriously, “from there I’ll probably head over to Asia. The guy likes to travel back and forth and I want to make this look good.”

Rogue nodded and pushed aside the niggling doubts planted by Dr. Grey, and everyone around her. She knew beyond a doubt what the outcome would be, just as she knew what her motivations would be. “I’ll be here when you get back. Even save you a seat,” she whispered with a shy grin. “Just as long as it takes.”

Logan nodded and pulled her into a tight embrace. He knew she realized that the coming days would be difficult, but he wasn’t too sure she understood how difficult. There was no way she could be prepared for the hell she’d have to endure as Wheels started his spiel to get her to join the team. He only knew he couldn’t make that choice for her, he couldn’t tell her not to do it. She had to listen to her heart, her gut, and her own mind to make this choice. All he could do was hope that she knew he’d love her no matter what.

Sitting quietly they watched the first hint of daylight streak across the horizon and curled tighter against each other. As that thin, pale line of grey turned pink, Logan gathered Rogue to him and rose to his feet. They both knew his gear was on the back of the bike, knew that he was already on his way – this had just been a brief respite.

Clinging to his hand, Rogue followed him out of the diner and over to where their vehicles sat parked, hidden by the trees from view. “Be careful,” she whispered softly as he turned to face her. “Come back to me.”

Logan nodded slowly, “I’ll be back for you, I promise,” he whispered moving closer to her, one gloved hand coming to cup her jaw as his thumb stroked over her cheek. A gentle tug and he had the end of her scarf loosened; a moment later he dipped his head slightly to kiss her gently. “I promise I will be back for us.”

Rogue nodded, clinging to his hand even as he started to walk away. Stumbling slightly forward she watched as their fingers drifted apart and her hand hung stretched out toward his. Bringing it back she wrapped her arms around herself and watched as the bike faded from view, from within hearing range.

Long after the light had disappeared Rogue stood there, savoring the soft kiss, the tightening of fingers on hers and let the soft, pain filled tears flow. She would wait..forever if that’s what it took.