Mall was practically deserted at this time of the night. Only few very late shoppers wandered up and down corridors, heels of their shoes click-clacking loudly against stone floor. Her own boots let out a mere whisper when she snuck around, carefully avoiding other people. Baby on her arms wriggled and let out a small squeak, but she managed to shush it. She leaned against the wall and rested her head back, closing her eyes momentarily. It had been several days she had last slept. Three days of hiding and sneaking around. Three long days trying to stay out of their sights.

“Told you.” Low male voice whispered, startling her. She opened her eyes, readying for the inevitable. When she recognized the face in front of her, belonging to somebody friendly rather than enemy her knees gave up and she slid to a heap on the floor, nearly dropping the bundle she had been carrying and protecting.
“Kid?”
“Hide me. Hide us, Logan…”

Luckily he had been off-duty. She was sitting on passenger’s seat in his car, baby still cradled against her chest, whole body trembling from exhaustion.
“I left you there because I thought it would keep you out of troubles. What the hell is going on? And who’s the brat?” Logan asked, steering the car through surprisingly quiet and empty streets.
“I… This is Katy. She’s Kitty’s…”
“Kitty? Chick on that tape with Summers?” Logan asked. She nodded.
“Where is she?”
“She’s dead. Found Katy from the med lab. It… She’s… Scott’s her father.”
“What? You must have gotten mixed up. Scott’s married to Jean.”
“It’s a long story, and I’m tired. I’ll tell everything later. I… Where are we going?” She asked.
”Home.” Her stomach sunk.
“You can’t take me back there! They’ll kill Katy and me! You can’t…”
“My home. Not to Xavier’s. I’m not stupid, you know. You asked me to hide you. At least I can do it now and listen what you have to say before I decide if I drive you back there or help you out.”

“This is where you live?” She asked, taking in her surroundings. Small trailer sat at the corner of the Sunny Meadow –trailer park, surrounded by neatly moved lawn and narrow picket fence that separated the small plot of land from neighboring trailers.
“Yeah. Bought it few years ago. Not much, but…” Logan huffed defensively.
“Oh, I… I didn’t mean it like that! I just thought… I never pictured you the type…”
“I know… But what the hell would I do with a real apartment? Don’t have family. Only thing keeping me here is my work.”
“A picket fence?”
“Was there when I bought this.”

Trailer was small, but neatly organized. Thin sliding door separated the bedroom from combined kitchen and living room. Furniture was worn but well kept. Thick rugs covered the floor, silencing the sound of footsteps to a mere whisper.
“Sit down. I’ll make us some coffee. Does the brat need anything?” Logan asked. She rummaged through her backpack, producing a bottle of baby formula.
“I need to warm this, could you…” She placed the bottle on the table and clutched the baby against her harder when her knees started to tremble.
“Shit. Give them to me and sit down before you keel over,” Logan huffed, taking the baby and bottle from her.

She lay on the couch, completely exhausted; only able to watch when Logan heated the formula and fed Katy.
“I wasn’t going to snoop around… I was just looking for some old files for the professor… Found a transcript from a mission. Scott had told everybody that they had to leave at once. Kitty got different instructions. Building blew up when she was still inside.”
“Why?”
“I was wondering that too… Dug deeper. Found Katy. Jean was keeping her hidden in the med lab. Only she, Scott and professor knew. Found out Scott was her father… He had had an affair with a student, and they’re hiding it! I had to run when they found out that I knew. Took Katy with me just in case… Just in case they decided to get rid of the evidence…” She was drifting slowly towards slumber, only half awake. It was easy to let go. Logan was here. He wouldn’t let anything to happen to her or Katy.