“What do you have against Xavier anyway? He seemed like a nice man,” Marie asked. She still felt a little stupid, talking to a voice in her head, but somehow it felt comfortable, to be able to feel someone familiar with her in this strange situation.
*Xavier? Nothing against him. It’s his people. Those geeks who call themselves The X-Men.*
“But aren’t they supposed to be the good guys?” She asked confused.
*Keyword being ‘supposed to’. Does a words collateral damage mean anything to you?*
“Huh?”
*That’s what you were. Collateral damage. They have no discipline. If only you knew even half of the times I have had to clean up the mess after them… Well, not me alone. Cops, paramedics, fire fighters… All that stuff that they don’t show you in TV.*
“Hey! There’s ambulances and fire-engines in the news every evening!”
*Always in the background. Doing nothing, because they have to look like they’re there just for precaution. This is a good school, and they will take good care of you. Just don’t let them mess up your head with that world-saving –crap, okay?*
“Logan… Are you leaving?”
*As soon as I wake up. I have to get back to work.
“Oh…”
*What? What’s the matter?*
“Nothing. It’s nothing.”
*You’re not much of a liar, kid. What got your panties in to bunch?*
“I just thought… Just forget it, okay? It’s not important. It’s stupid.”
*That’ll be the day… Have heard anything stupid coming out of your mouth ever. Not once. But hey, it’s okay. You’ll talk about it when you feel like… Kid? Kid!*

She had fiddled with the mp3-player while she chatted with Logan. She had put on the earplugs and turned it on. Instead of music she had been expecting she could hear screams and loud explosions, then somebody talking, out of breath.
‘Evac in two minutes, Kitty!’ Then long period of silence, and suddenly loud pop music blasted from the earplugs.

“What was that?” She whispered, pressing rewind and listening it again.
*I have no idea, but that doesn’t sound like fake… That was Summers talking.*
“Are you sure it was him?”
*Positive. Where did you get that toy anyway?*
“I really found it. It lay on the ground in front of the mall. At first I thought it was broken, but I picked it up. I was going to see if it still worked, but then some kids came and I had to hide it so that they didn’t take it. I kind of forgot it and remembered it only just when you bought me that burger.”
*You better leave that player with me. And keep your mouth shut about what you heard. Nobody puts shit like that to mp3 just for fun.*
“This may be a stupid question, but what did that mean?” She asked, blushing furiously when she sensed Logan’s amusement.
*Evacuation. My guess is we heard a recording from some of their mission. Why somebody went through the trouble of hiding it in there, I have no idea, but it must be somehow important.*
“What do we do about it?” She asked.
*We do nothing about it. You go and get dressed. I’ll ask about it from Xavier when I wake up. Okay?*
“Fine, Officer Logan…” She muttered.
*That’s Logan to you, brat…*