Author's Chapter Notes:
Agh. Finally. Took long enough.
She got all the way to the docks when Logan suddenly disappeared from her mind. And she realized that there was no way she could get to his aid at this hour. Ferry wasn’t operating in the middle of the night. She tried to reach out, hoping against hope that there was some sort of link open between her and Logan.

“No… No. No!” She came up blank, of course. Her mutation allowed her to steal Logan in to her for brief periods, but she couldn’t use what she had like the Professor. She couldn’t reach out with her mind and find Logan. She huffed and cursed, hitting the steering wheel. Clock on the dashboard blinked almost mockingly, telling her that it would be several hours before the statue would be open for the audience. Several hours before the man steering the ferry would start working.

She got out of the car and walked to the dock. Ferry wasn’t there. Of course not. There wasn’t a ferry. There wasn’t a conveniently placed speedboat. There weren’t even a rowboat for her to take and launch to rescue Logan. She kicked angrily and hit an empty beer can, sending it rattling over the railing of the dock. Instead of splash she heard a soft clunk and muffled curse, and the can flew right back on to the dock. A hand soon followed it, fingers curling around the railing, and then Logan was there, soaked through, dragging himself over the railing, his breath ragged and wheezing.

“I’m sure I’d be able to appreciate that can if there had been some beer in it…”
“Logan!” She rushed to him and wrapped her arms around him. They stumbled a bit but somehow Logan managed to keep his balance, and for a long moment they just stood there, holding each other.

“How did you get here?” She finally uttered when they were walking towards the car.
“Got down from the statue and found a piece of driftwood. Might have been something from Magneto’s boat. Floated on top of it.”
“Are you… Are you alright?” She asked. He was swaying slightly, and he had tucked his left hand inside of his jacket, the zipper keeping it in place.
“Sprained something when I fell and for a while it was bad. But it’s not bleeding anymore. Just a little sore.”
“Can you drive? Because I can’t. Not without you.”
“Yes, you can. There’s no hurry now. We have several hours before dawn, and as far as Xavier and his team are concerned I’m as good as dead. Just take us to my place.”
“Your place? Is that a good idea?”
“It’s probably the last place they expect us to be. I really need to get some rest. And we need to make some plans if we’re going to get through this and get Kate back to you alive and well.”