Almost exactly twenty-four hours later she understood. Yet another man was going to use her. Not like Xavier had planned to use her as an X-Man. Not as Scott had used her body. Magneto had far more intelligent and sinister intentions. She could only scream, strapped to a strange looking metal contraption when Magneto’s mind invaded her own, whispering commands and instructions, urging her to place her hands to pads that controlled the machine. It would kill her. It would mutate every living cell structure with radiation it released.

Magneto had been apologetic, almost sad, but at the same time sickeningly triumphant, gloating with his power and intelligence. He had installed his machine on top of the Statue Of Liberty with Sabretooth’s aid. Then big and feral mutant had strapped Marie in it, and Magneto had touched her. It hadn’t been a fleeting touch, not a quick brush. He had cupped her face between his palms, holding on almost long enough to get killed, contaminating her being with his own.

She could hear and feel machine around her, humming and pulsating. Latching greedily to the borrowed power of Magneto’s that coursed through her veins. Machine was gathering strength and speed, warming up. Another scream tore out from her mouth when she felt the pull. Almost as if her bones had melted and leaking out through every pore on her skin. Blue cloud blurred her field of vision. She wasn’t sure if it was something she was imagining, or was it an actual manifestation of the radiation. What ever it was, it distorted everything. When something black fell from the sky right in front of her she tried to fight against Magneto’s hold from her, to get away from what ever it was that was approaching her.

Her struggling seemed only to fuel the machine even further, increasing the speed and force it drew energy from her. It was nearly impossible to stay conscious. She could feel her heart shuddering, skipping beats. Her lungs had stopped working for what felt like ages ago, and painful burning numbness spread slowly through her whole body.

Then Logan was there. Blue was gone. Machine was still. Her body was still. Her heart was still. She was vaguely aware of something happening around her. Blackbird hovering close by. Scott shouting something. And Logan. He was there, holding her. She wanted to talk to him. Tell him it was alright. Tell him it didn’t hurt anymore. She wanted… She needed to warn him. Her mouth refused to cooperate, as did the rest of her body. Logan was hugging her, holding her close.
“Don’t…”
“Hush. It’ll be alright.”

His cheek felt warm against hers, and for a moment she could feel it. Could imagine what it would be. How it would feel. Then Logan was falling away from her, unconscious. Scott was carrying her towards the Blackbird. She tried to protest. Tried to stop him, they had to help Logan. There was something wrong. He was bleeding, and he wasn’t healing. Scott just shook his head and laid her to a stretcher before returning outside. Logan was crawling up slowly, getting on his hands and knees. Scott looked at him, clearly enjoying the view before kicking him over the railing of the statue.