Another two weeks went by. It was getting increasingly harder to pretend obedient little soldier. At school Xavier and Jean kept her mind under steady pressure. Only times she was free from their grip were short trips to city. Scott made it point to have some business at the mall almost daily, and it didn’t take long from Marie to realize that those trips were yet another way to try to crack her, and Scott’s personal vendetta against Logan. He was parading Marie around as if she was some sort of trophy.

What ever Logan thought about the situation, if nothing at all, he didn’t let it show. If Scott found some excuse to actually talk with him, Logan kept things on a neutral, professional level, hardly even looking at Marie’s direction. It was almost as if they were complete strangers to each other.

“Wolverine.”
“Actually, I prefer officer Devereaux, Mr. Summers.” Except that it wasn’t officer Devereaux. Not to her. It was officer Logan. Or just Logan.
“What ever, runt… I came to warn you. Magneto has been released from the prison,” Scott snorted. Something flickered briefly in Logan’s eyes. Fear. Hunger. Excitement.
“Warn me? If they have decided to release Mr. Lenscherr, I’m sure he has paid his debt to society. I don’t see a reason to be worried, Mr. Summers.”
“Cut the crap, Wolverine. We both know it won’t take long from him to come after you. Xavier’s willing to offer you a sanctuary.”
“And I’m sure he’ll do it out of the goodness of his heart… Thank professor for my behalf, but tell him that I have to refuse his offer.”
“From where did you get the impression that you had a choice over that matter? Do you really think Xavier’s going to surrender you to Magneto? Think again, Wolverine…”
“And who’s going to make me accept that offer? You? How’s that leg? All healed up, I hope…” Logan murmured. His eyes darted briefly to Marie, who stood just few steps away from them.
“Hey, kid. Take your lover-boy out of here before I arrest him from loitering!”