“Can I think about it?”
“Think about it? What the fuck there is to think about anymore? I didn’t offer to do it, you asked it!” Logan snapped, trying to control his voice because of Kate who sat on his lap, fiddling with the buttons of his jacket.
“Why do you have to leave if you do it? Why can’t you come here, live with me and Kate?” She asked.
“Because.”
“Why? I don’t understand.”
”When I left from Xavier I made one decision. Promised one thing to myself. Nobody was going to use me anymore. Fucking nobody. Not like that. Not like Xavier had used me. I made a life for myself. A nice life. Job, home, even some friends. Wasn’t much, but I had everything I needed. I’ll do what you asked me to do, and I’ll be loosing everything. Breaking that promise, throwing away everything that makes me.”
“But you’d still have me and Kate. I won’t turn my back on you.”
“Yes, you will. I’m not really a nice man. Not somebody you would like to know.”
“What are you talking about? I know you! You’re my friend! You’re… You’re almost as a father to Kate…”
“I can be nice when I want to. But I’m not sure if I want to keep being nice to you. You’re young, and you have had to take huge pile of shit from the world, accompanied with this squealing brat you’re going to take care of until she’s old enough to be kicked out from home. I can understand how that can make a person a little selfish. Fuck, I’m no better in that area, truth to be told… But how the hell do you think having you and Kate will somehow replace a whole fucking life I’ll be loosing when I go after Xavier and his crew?”

“I… I didn’t think it like that…”
“You didn’t think, period. It wasn’t Logan, the nice cop from the mall you needed. You called for Wolverine. I told you about me, about my life before because I trusted you. Thought you could understand. And what did you do? Took it, and used it. Used me. Fine. If that’s all you want from me, I’ll do it. But don’t expect me to come back. I’ll do it, and I’m through with you. Fuck… Should have known better… How long?”
“How long?”
“How long have you been planning this, Marie? How long?”
“I…”
“How long?”
“I wasn’t planning anything! I thought you could help! You! I don’t fucking care who you are or what you did! I thought I could trust you! I thought we were friends!” Logan moved suddenly, placing Kate down carefully and swooping Marie to his arms instead.
“I thought that too…” He whispered with hoarse voice before covering her mouth with his own.

Kiss lasted for what felt like eternity, he was practically devouring her, and in the same time flooding her mind with everything he felt, rage, sadness, hurt, warmth, love… Convoluted mix of emotions making her head spun wildly. When they broke apart Logan slumped to the floor, breathless, skin ashen.
“But it looks like I was wrong. Was I?” He wheezed, unbuttoning the collar of his shirt to ease breathing.