“Do you have any idea of what you’re asking?”
“I only ask you to do your job. To serve and protect. Wasn’t that the catch phrase?” She spat out words he had used only few months earlier.
“Xavier owns the force. There’s nothing I can do as police officer.”
“Then I ask you to do it as a friend.” She used a softer tone, but her words made deep frown settle over Logan’s features.
“Don’t fucking mess with me. I don’t like when people poke at me. I fucking thought I could trust you!”
“But…”
“I already told you! It’s not who I am anymore!” Logan huffed, thrust Kate in her lap and stormed out.

She waited. Waited for the car to start. Then her gaze drifted to the set of keys that still lay on the table. He hadn’t left. At least not far enough to need the car. He’d be back. If not for else, for the car keys.

She unpacked her clothes, then changed Kate’s diaper and opened a small jar of apricot. Tried to feed Kate, but baby kept scrunching her face and avoiding the spoon. She wasn’t doing it right. She wasn’t goofing and pretending to be an airplane. She wasn’t spewing curses and laughing when she spat out everything she managed to get in to her mouth. She wasn’t Logan.
“Give me that.” She turned to look. Logan had returned, and took the jar and spoon from her, crouching in front of Kate who gave him a wide, toothless smile. Logan used her momentarily distraction and shoved the spoon in.

“Fine. I’ll do it.”
“Logan…”
“Shut up. I said I’d do it.”
“Thanks…”
“Don’t thank me yet. There’s a catch.”
“A catch?”
“There’s a price for my work. I do what you ask and there’s no place for me left to live. No place for me.”
“You always have a place with me…”
“Don’t talk about things you don’t understand. Yes, your mommy should consider her words more carefully, Katie…” Logan cooed to the baby with a playful tone, but to Marie’s ears it sounded like a warning, which it was meant to be.
“After Xavier goes down, I’ll hit the road. I’ll travel lightly. There’s no room for Logan. It’s not… It’s not Logan’s world out there. Here. She’s done,” Logan said, giving her the empty jar and lifting Kate to his lap, hugging her close.
“It’s not a world for you or Kate either.”