Greg’s cabin was situated close the border, just an hour’s drive away. It was small but sturdy, two bedrooms and a small kitchen, built from heavy logs.
“Helped Greg with the building. He lets me use this every now and then. You can stay as long as you like, but I’ll start looking something more permanent for you and Kate. This is a bit far from everything…”

She was so deeply concentrated on taking in her surroundings that the meaning of his words didn’t register before he stood at the doorway, car keys in his hand.
“Wait!” She shouted. Logan turned.
“Are you leaving?” She asked. Logan shifted on his feet, his eyes darting between her and Kate, and the car parked outside.
“You have everything you need for few days. I’ll be back soon. I’m just going to…”
“Don’t even think about leaving now! We just got here! At least you could show me around, tell me what to do, and what not to do! I’m not… I have never in my life set my foot outside of the city!”

Logan shifted again, this time to close the door, and set his keys down to table.
“Sorry. Didn’t think about it that way…” He said smiling sheepishly. She let out a relieved sigh. Catastrophe avoided. Logan crossed the floor and took Kate from her. Baby giggled and reached automatically towards his face. Logan growled playfully.
“Looks like your mommy’s got me whipped…”
“Mommy?” She nearly choked to the word.
“It’s time to face the facts, kid. You took her with you. I came along. I’ll help you out as much as I can, but… She’ll need a mother. Somebody to take care of her. Somebody who won’t abandon her. She needs you. Want it or not, you’re her mother now.”
“But…”
“She’s not a doll. She’s not a pet. She’s a child. And she’s your responsibility.”
“I know that! I was just… Surprised.”

Surprised didn’t cover it. It didn’t even scrape the surface of what she felt when she heard Logan calling her mommy to Kate. She was surprised. Scared. Happy. Insecure. But dead on sure that she would do her best. With or without Logan’s help.

“I can’t stick around too long. Have to find you a place to stay, and something to keep you two fed when I’m away.” Of course. He was going back to Salem. Back to the mall. He had a job to do. Somehow it had just slipped from her mind.
“I’ll come and check up on you two when ever I can. You can call me if you need anything, I have some friends on this side of the border.” Friends. He had friends. That was nice. What about her? She knew nobody. Nobody except him. And he was going to leave. And there was something she had to do.

“Can… Can I ask you something already?” She asked. Logan nodded, untangling Kate’s chubby fingers from his hair.
“I want to put an end to what’s going on at Xavier’s. Can you help me with that?”
“Shit… Kid? Why don’t you ask for the fucking Moon from the sky? Would be hell of a lot easier to deliver…”
“Can you help me?”
“Come on… Isn’t there anything else…”
“You said anything. And this is something that needs to be done. Before they screw up yet another life. Before Scott gets his hands on another girl. If he hasn’t gotten already…”
“It’s none of your business, you’re just a kid…”
“That excuse flew out of the window when I became mommy to Kate. Oh, I get it. You’re scared. Scared of old and crippled man… Is that what it is?”
“Fuck you, kid.”