Surprisingly enough she managed to drift back to sleep. When she woke up in the morning, Logan had already gotten up and was bathing Kate. There was a huge wad of cash on a table, as well as something that looked like a set of car keys. She stretched and yawned. She could still feel warmth radiating from the mattress where Logan had lain. She rolled on to that side of the bed, hugging the pillow tightly and closing her eyes. There was no reason to get up yet. No reason at all. She was still tired. Logan would wake her if he needed help with Kate.

She wasn’t actually sleeping, but it felt damn near impossible to get up. It was so warm and comfortable. Logan had left the bathroom door open. Kate was in the bathtub, and he was leaning over the brim, supporting the baby. Marie watched lazily how his muscles tensed and relaxed every time he moved. Every move efficient, purposeful. She heard him murmur something to baby who kept giggling and cooing. Water was sloshing.

Her eyes drifted from Logan and Kate to the pile of clothes he had discarded in front of the TV set, probably after he had gotten back in last night. Jeans and white T-shirt. Whiteness of the shirt marred with brownish speckles. Very dark speckles. Bigger blotches on the jeans. Some of them dark red rather than brown.

“Logan?” She called him. He didn’t turn to look, but greeted her.
“Morning. Slept well?” He sounded normal. Almost giddy. Relaxed and satisfied.
“Fine. How about you?” She asked, eyes glued to one especially large patch that looked like blood. It couldn’t be. Right? Logan was a cop.
“Great. You hungry? I was planning to go out with Kate, but now that you woke up, we could all go to breakfast.”
“Umm… I guess I could eat…” It couldn’t be blood. Logan had probably just stumbled and fallen to a muddy patch. Except that it hadn’t rained in several days.
“Logan? Can I ask you something?” Where did you get the money and the car?

“Shot me.” He was standing in the doorway, Kate wrapped up to a towel on his lap.
“Huh?” Her eyes snapped from the pile of dirty clothes to him.
“Ask away.”
“Can we get pancakes? It has been ages since I last ate them.”