“Are we safe here?” She asked. Logan was sitting outside, smoking a cigar. Something she had never seen him do before.
“At least for a while. Figured we could get some rest before we head back on the road.”
“How long?” She asked. Logan grunted and shrugged his shoulders.
“Don’t know. As long as it takes them to recover. Scott’s going to limp probably rest of his life. Punctured lung from Ororo. Beast was a tricky one. Couldn’t get a good hit in, he kept leaping around. At least his liver and bowel are shot to hell.”

“What about Jean and professor?”
“Xavier’s wiser than coming after me by himself. There’s not a lot either of them can do to me. I know how to block them from my head. And Jean’s telekinesis… She tried once moving me when I lived back in the mansion. Got the mother of all migraines. They figured it had something to do with the metal…”
“Your claws…”
“It’s not just claws. My every bone is covered with it. That’s… They made Wolverine. Scientists and soldiers. Made this body unbreakable. Damn near impossible to kill.”
“Everywhere? But… How?”
“Cut me open, scraped my bones clean and poured molten metal in.”
“But… But… Oh… Didn’t it hurt? You said you volunteered!” She stuttered. Logan shot annoyed glance towards her and ground the stump of the cigar under the heel of his boot.
“I volunteered. They knew about my mutation, and they claimed that they were just going to draw some blood and bone marrow to study it. I’m not stupid, you know. Just needed the money they said they were going to pay.”
“Oh…”
“Yeah. Go back in. Go to sleep. I have something to take care of.”
“What… Where are you going?”
“I have to get us some money and a car. I’ll come back little later. Don’t wait up.”

Don’t wait up? How the hell she was supposed to sleep? After Logan’s grim tale, and everything that had happened for the past few days she was wound up and nervous. Kate was sleeping, so she couldn’t watch TV. There was nothing to read. Nothing to do. And Logan was out there, doing only God knew what. Money and new car? Where the hell was he going to get those at this time of the night? She doubted if there was an ATM in this shithole, and even if he managed to find a car dealer, his shop was probably closed already. Unless he was going to steal a car? Would he do something like that? He was a police officer, but this really was an emergency… No. She couldn’t imagine Logan stealing anything.

She decided to take a bath to soothe her nerves. Granted, her last experience with a bathtub had involved Scott, and it was something she rather not thought about at all, but there really was nothing else to do.

She managed to entertain herself nearly an hour before she had to face the facts. She was either going to die over boredom, or she could do as Logan had told her to do, and go to sleep.

She changed on pajamas Logan had bought her earlier that day and went to bed. Pillow felt lumpy, and mattress was too soft. She tossed and turned until she found remotely comfortable spot and tried to relax. Listening to Kate’s breathing seemed to help. She could feel her lids getting heavier after every passing second.

She woke up. It was still dark. Somebody was snoring behind her. Strong, heavy hand curled around her waist, warm body pressed against her. Stench of booze and cigars. She yelped and struggled frantically to get away from who or what ever it was.
“Stop and go back to sleep. Now.”
“Logan?” She squeaked.
“Yeah.”
“Why are you in my bed?”
“Don’t worry… I’m not… I’m not going to try anything. Just let me be, okay?”
“O… Okay…”