It was a cold night. She hunched behind one of the decorative pillars guarding the mall’s entrance, trying to get shelter from the wind. Her thin coat wasn’t just made for this kind of weather. It would be hours before she could go home. Several hours before her mom was too tired and messed up to work. She had once made a mistake of getting home too early, and john her mother had been blowing had beaten her for good, giving her a split lip and bruises she could still feel if she moved too fast. She checked her watch. Old and worn, with plastic band and Mickey Mouse telling what time it was. Five minutes and she could slip back in. If she was real careful and stayed out of the sight, she could stay there for whole hour before Logan “threw” her out again. She could maybe hide in to one of the restrooms. Logan checked those once or twice during the night. If she got in to a stall and stood on the toilet seat when he came in, he wouldn’t probably even notice her. Though he had a strange way of finding her no matter where she hid.

She was sneaking back in when long, black limousine stopped in front of the entrance, and a man wearing the strangest looking sunglasses stepped out from the driver’s door, hurrying to open the passenger’s door for older, bald man. She didn’t stay to watch, but skirted past them, keeping her eyes peeled in case Logan happened to end his round on the second floor faster than he usually did. When there was no sight of him she relaxed and entertained herself by window-shopping for all the nice things she well knew she wouldn’t probably never afford to. New shoes. That beautiful, thick cloak, made out of wool.

Strange reflection on the window made her gasp and turn around. Young man with the funny sunglasses was standing beside the bald one, who was sitting in a wheelchair. Large man with lots of blond hair, an obvious mutant was shouting something at them. Even more obvious mutant, woman who was covered to blue scales from head to toes was observing them all from a small distance, with a smile on her face.

She had long ago learned to spot trouble, and now scene in front of her was screaming T-R-O-U-B-L-E with big flashing neon letters. She started to run towards the elevators, knowing she should find Logan before anything happened. She had a bad feeling about what was going on. She was about to enter the elevator when something hit her back. Sharp blow that threw her in to the car and she crashed against the metal wall before slumping to the floor unconscious. She had the time to hear loud roar and sound of a struggle before darkness fell over her.