Logan had bought them a white SUV. It was waiting behind the corner.
“Get in. I’ll go and pay for the room.” She did as he told. Something in his eyes warned her to stay quiet. Now wasn’t the time to ask questions. Now was the time to listen and obey. Friendly cop from the mall had taken a vacation. Something… No. Somebody else was driving. Wolverine? Who ever that was. Scott had called Logan Wolverine, but what did that mean? It sounded almost as a code name, much similar like the ones the X-Men used.

Kate had finally fallen asleep. She had been hushing and rocking her nonstop for what felt like eternity, sitting on the back seat while Logan drove, casting irritated glances to them through rearview mirror every now and then. She was afraid he would say something, something that would break the illusion she had been having, that Logan was just a nice, friendly man. He had kept silent.

“Kid? Come up here,” she heard him say and he patted the front seat. She checked once more that Kate was securely strapped to the child’s seat before squirming over the backrest and landing to the front seat.

Logan was staring straight forward, dark stretch of asphalt in front of them. His hands grasped the steering wheel hard, knuckles bone-white. His face was pale, ashen.
“What Summers said back there. The name. I want you to forget it. I need you to forget it. That’s… It’s something from the past. It has nothing… Absolutely nothing to do with who I am now. Just forget that you even heard that name. Understood?”
“Can I ask something? Before I forget?” She asked carefully, gauging his mood. One of his hands left the steering wheel and he rubbed his face tiredly.
“One question,” he finally agreed.
“Who was he? Wolverine?”
“Sick bastard who deserved to die.”
“Logan…”
“I said one question. I’m not… I don’t want to talk about it, okay?”

He drove until sun started to rise. They didn’t speak much, just changed occasional opinions about the music playing quietly from the radio. When first rays of sun hit the windshield he pulled to the side of the road and turned off the engine.

“Three days before we cross the border. In Canada we’ll be safe. We could make it in two days if I didn’t have to sleep… Kid? Can you drive?” Logan asked. She shook her head and bit her lip.
“I can’t drive. I can’t do anything. I’m just a pain in the ass…” Tears she had been keeping back ever since Scott had tried to grab her escaped, making speaking impossible.
“Yeah. You’re real pain in the ass. Wouldn’t have you any other way…” Logan murmured, tilted his seat backwards, pulled her to his lap and closed his eyes. Few minutes later they were both asleep.