She decided to take a bath. She had gotten used to the luxury of a bathtub when she lived in Xavier’s. It was perhaps the only thing she truly missed.

Water was warm, and even if the bath gel motel offered wasn’t the same quality as the product back in school, it was better than quick and efficient showers she had had to settle while living in Logan’s trailer. She left the bathroom door open so that she would hear if Kate woke up.

She leaned back, letting her muscles relax and closed her eyes. Image of Logan standing under the bare light bulb in front of the stove floated to the front of her mind. Only this time there was no baby in picture. Just Logan. Bare shoulders. Muscled arms and back. Narrow waist. Tanned, flawless skin.

She had always thought Logan as good looking. Now had been the first time she had seen him half naked. It hadn’t been a surprise to see how fit he was. She had felt his bulk more than once against her own body, several occasions when he was escorting her not so gently out from the mall, when he had carried her from the ruins of the elevator, and countless times after.
“Better not go there. A kid. That’s what I’m for him. Just a kid…” She huffed, opening her eyes when she heard the lock of the front door rattling.
“Well, that was a quick one…” She muttered, rising from the tub and grabbing a bathrobe before Logan would walk in. Married or not, she wasn’t going to flash in front of him in all her naked glory. When door finally opened and a man walked in she let out a whimper. It wasn’t Logan.
“Marie. I came to take you home. Both of you.”

Yellow light gleamed wetly on Scott’s visor. He wore suit and long overcoat. Scott. Not Cyclops.
“I don’t want to come back…” She whispered, scooting slowly towards Kate. She had no idea what she could do, but at least she was going to try. She wasn’t going to let Scott take the baby.
“You’re coming back, want it or not. Everybody’s worried. Looking for you.”
“Don’t touch me,” she whimpered when Scott took a step towards her.
“I’m not going to touch you. I just came to take you home. Get dressed. Car is waiting outside.”

“Keep your hands off from her, sick fucker…” Low voice coming from the doorway stopped Scott, and he turned around, smile spreading on his face.
“Wolverine! Nice to see you again!” Marie used his momentarily distraction and grabbed Kate, skirting past Scott, hiding behind Logan who was standing at the door.
“I left that name behind when I left that freakshow you’re running. Get the hell away from here before I’ll perform some exploratory surgery on you…” Logan growled. Scott tsked, still smiling.
“Language, Wolverine… Is that a way to talk in front of children?”
“I don’t know. Tell me, which one is worse? Use the word ‘fuck’ in front of a kid, or actually fuck that said kid?” Logan snarled, hands clenched to tight fists to his sides.
“That’s enough, Wolverine. I came to take Marie and Kate home…” Scott didn’t have the time to finish his sentence. Logan bounced on him, forcing him backwards, against the wall. One hand grasping the lapels of his jacket, other pressing the underside of Scott’s jaw, knuckles white from the strain.
“You’re not taking anybody tonight, Summers… Now, get lost before I do something we both regret,” Logan hissed, shoving Scott out of the door, towards black SUV that waited outside.

He stood in the open doorway, shoulders heaving, watching until the tale lights of the SUV disappeared before turning back in and closing the door. Marie was sitting on the bed, rocking crying Kate back and forth on her arms, trying to soothe agitated baby for the best of her abilities. Logan slumped against the floor, sliding to the floor. Closed his eyes and took deep, calming breaths.
“Wolverine?” Marie asked. Logan’s eyes flew open.
“He called you Wolverine. Why?” Marie asked.
“None of your goddamned business. It’s Logan for you, kid. Just Logan. Get dressed. We have to leave.”
“But…”
“No buts. Move that ass. I got us a car. It’s waiting outside. As well as those fucking burgers… If I hadn’t gone in to that diner… Fuck!”