Author's Chapter Notes:
Don't have any knowledge about Canadian legislation. Let's pretend, okay?
She was sitting on a bed. Logan was in the bathroom, bathing Kate. Room he had booked from the no-star motel was small, but tidy. She was still trying to make sense of all that had happened. Six hours ago she had been pondering whether to make roast beef or pizza for dinner. Now she was staying in a shabby motel, very married with Logan.

“I’ll put her to sleep. Then we’ll talk,” Logan promised, emerging from the bathroom with Kate. She nodded, twirling the ring on her finger. She was sixteen. She had a baby to take care of. She was married. This wasn’t happening. She would wake up soon. Mom would be starting her day, maybe some Valium or whiskey. She would be pushing her out of the door soon, because one of her johns is waiting to be taken care of. She would go to the mall, maybe tell Logan the best parts of her weird dream over a burger, and they could both laugh about it before he threw her out once again.

Except that this definitely wasn’t a dream. There he stood. Shirtless, towel flung over one shoulder, Kate leaning against the other, drooling and cooing. He was warming a bottle of baby formula. Testing it before giving it to the baby. Deep lines of worry etched to his face, eyes darting between the door and the only window the room had constantly, as if expecting something to happen.

“Okay. That’s taken care of…” Logan whispered, sitting cross-legged to the foot end of the bed she was already sitting. Kate was sleeping, wrapped securely to a blanket in an open bottom drawer of a dresser.
“Can you please tell me what the hell is going on?” She whispered, trying to keep her voice level and low as not to wake the baby.
“This morning Maggie called. Said that Xavier had asked my address. He had most likely figured out where you went after you left the school. I asked Greg to help us out. Called in few other old favors as well. Somebody’s going to make sure that Xavier can’t track us down with Cerebro.”
“What about this?” She asked, pointing the ring on her finger.
“It’s a real deal. Wagner owed me. You don’t have to worry about him. He won’t rat us out.”
“But… Why?”
“Crossing the border will be easier. They won’t look us twice. We’re just another married couple with a child, going for a vacation. As soon as we get settled, we can apply for the citizenship and get a divorce. And we can, or you can, adopt Kate. In Canada you’re considered as an adult.”
“Oh…”
“I had been planning this for a while now. Wasn’t going to just rush through everything like this, but we had to move fast to loose Xavier and his geeks from our tracks.”
“And Greg?”
“Couldn’t take my car. Too easy for Xavier to follow. There’s a dealer who sells used cars just few blocks from here. We’ll go and buy ourselves a car tomorrow.”
“Okay.”
“You hungry?” Logan asked. She nodded.
“Good. I’m starving. Burgers okay with you?” He asked. Again she nodded.
“I’ll go and grab us something to eat. And Kate needs diapers and formula. Keep the door locked. Don’t let anybody in. I’ll take the keys.”