Day had started as many before. She woke up in the morning, fed Kate and made breakfast for Logan before he left for work. She took Kate outside and sat next to the crib reading a book and chatting with Greta while the baby slept. It was getting easier to relax. She had lived in here nearly two weeks now, and she hadn’t heard a peep from Xavier nor the X-Men. One phone call changed it all.

She was warming a bottle for Kate. Baby would wake up soon. He cell phone rang. She checked the caller ID before answering. Logan had bought the phone for her, and he was the only one who had her number. As she had expected, caller was Logan.

“Hi! What’s up?” She asked. Usually Logan called to ask if she needed anything.
“Get out of there, kid. Take Kate with you, go to Jones and ask him to give you a ride to the mall. Do it now. You have ten minutes.”
“Logan, what…”
“Just do it, Marie! Oh, fuck… I have to go. I’ll see you when you get here.”

She had packed hastily everything she thought she and Kate would need, taken the baby and run to Jones. He was an old man, widow with no family. He was more than happy to help out a neighbor in need, and half an hour later she was standing with Kate in front of the mall.

Ten minutes and one phone call later she was sitting in a car, Kate strapped to a child’s car seat next to her. Logan was sitting on the front seat, rubbing his knuckles. Man with an immaculate haircut and finely tailored suit was driving, practically fighting against traffic, spewing curses that would have made a sailor blush.
“Out of the city, Greg. Fast.”
“I know what I’m doing. I used to drive a cab before Marc hired me…”
“In here? That’s hardly any qualification…”
“In N.Y. I didn’t move in to Salem before Marc called and asked if I would be willing to start working with him.”
“Oh, in that case… Kid? You have your seatbelt on?”

Greg’s language got even more colorful when they reached the first traffic jam.
“Shut the fuck up, Greg. There are children in the vehicle,” Logan huffed. Marie let out a nervous giggle. Greg smirked at her from the rearview mirror.
“If the lady finds my French offensive…”
“I don’t mind. And Kate’s too young to understand. But I would like to know what’s going on?” She said, directing her question to Logan who was thrumming his fingers against the dashboard. He unbuckled his seatbelt and turned sideways. She noticed he had torn off his radio and badge.
“Xavier’s going on. He found out where I live. Probably from Maggie. He’s after us. Sooner we get out of the city, sooner we can disappear.”