“Greta thinks I’m your wife, and that you have been hiding me for some reason or another,” she said when they sat eating dinner. Logan nodded.
“She’s been trying to pair me up with everything that moves from the moment I moved in here. Everything. Including that huge Danish shepherd Jones has guarding his trailer. Wouldn’t put too much weight to what she’s saying,” Logan snorted.
“With a dog?” Marie giggled.
“With everything. I guess she thinks that we mutants have our little quirks in that area, too.”
“Eww…”
“Tell me about it… Last month she arranged me a blind date. With her gay hairdresser.”
“Oh…”
“Wasn’t all bad. Greg’s a nice guy. Just not my type.”
“Not your type?”
“I prefer a partner that doesn’t have to shave more often than me.”

It felt so normal. Just two friends chatting, sharing the events of the day. It felt normal up to the point when their conversation turned towards her situation.

“Maggie asked about you. Xavier had told her that you run.” Suddenly she wasn’t hungry anymore. She reached for Kate who sat on the floor, chewing on teething ring.
“Told her that I haven’t seen you. But it won’t take long before Xavier asks for my address. We have to move you two to a safer place.”
“Where would we go? I don’t know anybody… Not anybody safe except you…” She whispered.
“I was thinking your mother’s place at first.”
“I can’t take Kate in there!”
“I said I was thinking it first. Would have been a good place. Nobody would have even thought about looking you from there. But like you said, it’s not a place for Kate. Or for you.”
“Then… What do we do?” She asked. Logan smirked.
“This is where my good friend Greg steps in. Went to see him after work. He has a cabin up north, on Canadian side of the border. I have few vacation days coming. I could take you there.”
“But…” She sensed there was more to come.
“There are few problems. You’re not Canadian. You’re not Kate’s mother. You’re a minor. I’d be committing a crime if I took you there. I’m already aiding a criminal.”

She hadn’t even thought about it from his point of view. Not from legal point. Logan was a police officer. He wasn’t fancy undercover detective from TV-series. He was just an ordinary patrolman, keeping his eyes peeled for shoplifters and bums who wandered to the mall occasionally. He had sworn to uphold the law. He had already betrayed that oath because of her. Put his career and life aside for her.

“What are we going to do?” She asked. Logan sighed, combing his fingers through his already messed up hair.
“We’ll try it anyway. I’m already in to this up to my knees. Might as well wade a little deeper…”