Things settled quickly to normal. Or as close to normal as they could under the current circumstances. Marie and Kate shared the small trailer with Logan, sleeping in the bedroom while Logan slept on the couch. She stayed home and took care of Kate. Logan continued working. She made quickly new friends, his neighbors truly were nice and caring people, closely knit group of mostly elder citizens with few young couples as exceptions in the mix.

“How are you two this morning?” Greta, one of the seniors that lived to the trailer closest to Logan’s asked when she was sitting outside, lulling Kate to sleep.
“Just fine, thanks. Little tired. Kate kept waking up the whole night…” She said yawning. Kate was getting teeth and it made her cranky.
“I remember what it was. Have five children. Few grandchildren, too. Started even younger than you. Though I didn’t marry as young…” Greta winked. Marie sucked in a startled breath. Older woman winked again.
“Don’t worry, dear. Your secret is safe with me. Though I never thought Logan the type to hide his fortune…”
“Oh, Logan and I… We really are just friends.” Again Greta smiled and winked.
“Of course. Of course.”

“He’s a good man,” Greta suddenly said. Marie nodded.
“Took care of that trash when he moved in. Threw them right out. Keeps them out.” Again she nodded. She had no slightest idea of what Greta was talking about.
“This place wasn’t like this when he came. Oh, no, my dear. All kinds of… Bad people, criminals, drugs, and bad women. I was already going to move out. Many moved. But he cleaned this place up. Keeps it clean.” Kate was sleeping now, and Marie lowered her carefully to the crib she had brought outside.
“But he’s lonely. All the time alone. That’s no life. You two will do good for him. For long I thought he didn’t even have anybody,” Greta ended her short monologue. No smile or wink, just a stern nod before she went her way, walking slowly to her trailer and closing the door behind her.