Author's Chapter Notes:
Another WIP. Sincere apologies. If Bastard!Scott squeaks you, don't read this.
”Hey, kid. How many times I have to throw you out?” She turned, wide smile on her face.
“Logan!”
“That’s Officer Logan to you, brat,” uniformed man barked, deep frown on his face. He actually managed to look threatening for five whole seconds before smile ruined it all.
“How is it going, Marie?” He asked, his gaze scanning the crowd around them.
“It’s cold outside. I only come here to get warm. I won’t cause troubles, I promise.”
“I’m hurt. I thought you only stick around because of my pleasant personality,” Logan smirked. Then he turned to look at her.
“And because of burgers. You hungry?” She nodded enthusiastically.
“Come on, let’s get something to eat.”

This was their routine every night. She came in to mall to stay warm over the night; Logan rested his feet and bought her a burger. They talked about anything and everything, Logan made an honest effort by escorting her out and few minutes later when he turned his back she snuck back in. She knew that Logan knew, Logan knew that she knew that he knew. Everybody knew. Nobody cared. She was just one of the street brats who hung around the mall.

“Where did you get that from?” Logan asked. There was no accusation in his voice, just worry, when she started to fiddle with an mp3-player. She wasn’t a thief, she had even helped Logan occasionally spot the ones that stole, but she didn’t have any money either.
“I found it. Honestly. Somebody must have dropped it. I was just going to listen for a while and take it to the info.” She was telling the truth. She wanted the player, but kids like her didn’t carry expensive electronic devices. Not if they wanted to stay out of trouble.
“You better give it to me before somebody sees it and gets a wrong idea,” Logan said, extending his hand, palm flat over the table. She sighed and dropped the small plastic player on his hand.
“Don’t want to haul you to precinct just because some asshole thinks you stole it.”

They sat, Logan leaning backwards, his long legs resting comfortably on a chair. She was sipping her soda.
“How’s your mother?” He asked. She frowned.
“Probably getting high. Or getting laid. Or both.”
“Shit… Uh, kid? You need a place to stay? I could… I have a friend in social services, she could probably…”
“No thanks. I rather stay at home,” she quickly declined his offer. Logan straightened his back.
“That’s the point. You’re not at home. You never are. You either shack up with strangers or loiter around here. I don’t mind your company, but that’s not a life for you. Hell, you need to go to school. You need somebody to take care of you. Get you some clothes. Food to eat.”
“But you do that,” she said, pointing at the empty burger wrapper on the table. Logan picked it up and scrunched it to a ball.
“This isn’t food. Fuck… It’s a wonder that you haven’t gotten scurvy yet… Come on. I could call Maggie right now, ask her to come and pick you up.”
“Maggie? Is she good looking?”
“Depends. If you think grey hair and support stockings are the thing that turns you on… I’ll give her a call and we’ll see what we can do, okay? At least somebody goes to shake up you mother a bit. Scare her to right tracks.”
“But… What if they put me in to foster home?” She asked, lips trembling.
“You’d be better off anywhere than here. Trust me,” Logan said, reaching for the radio attached to his shoulder.
“Wait! I can’t… They can’t put me in to any home…” She muttered hastily. Logan huffed, placing the microphone back to its holder.
“Shit, kid. Do you think I’m stupid or something? I’m a mutie too. So is Maggie. She’s going to find some nice family…”
“Just… Can I think about it?” She asked, fiddling with her gloves. Logan ruffled her hair.
“Sure. Ready to go?” He asked standing up.
“Aww… Do I really have to?” She moaned. Logan nodded.
“We have to at least make it look like I’m trying to keep you out rather than in. Where would you be if they signed me to another precinct for consorting with the enemy?” He asked.
“There with you, being the same pain in your ass as I’m in here…” She smiled, giving him a wink before skipping out. Logan laughed and went on his way, to the upper levels of the mall.