Humming softly Rogue smiled at Holly who stood behind the counter dealing with a regular trucker. Slipping past the young man who stood next to the driver she headed for her booth at the back, stopping in front of the jukebox to stare down at the titles before pulling some change out of her pocket.

“Coffee?” Holly held up the pot and Rogue nodded quickly even as she scanned the titles.

Putting the change in she smirked as she picked the now familiar song that Logan always played before moving to sit at their table. Glancing up at Holly as she set the cup down in front of her she smiled.

”So where’s that man of yours? Working I suppose?”

“Naw, the boss gave him an errand to run,” Rogue declared easily. “Logan isn’t big on the whole celebratory atmosphere at home. His idea of Thanksgiving is a little different than theirs.”

“Makes sense,” Holly said her knee resting on the leather bench across the table from Rogue, “Seems to me he’s not the kinda man who spends a lot of time on holidays.”

“He’s more interested in saying thanks for something he feels appreciative about,” Rogue shrugged and smiled, “None of the stupidity that goes on at the house. One of the reasons I came out before sundown.”

Holly laughed, “So can I take that as a request for the special?”

“Sure, whenever Logan gets here.”

“You two kids are lucky. You’ve got something most people spend their entire lives looking for and never finding,” Holly said and headed for the kitchen. “I’ll let Bart know.”

With a nod Rogue turned her attention to the thick novel she’d brought with her. Knowing Wheels, the ‘errand’ could last well into the night and she wanted to be prepared.



Silently cursing Chuck and his merry band of do-gooders Logan pulled into the lot next to Rogue’s truck and killed the engine. With the keys in one hand he walked inside, sidestepping a pair of truckers on their way out, his focus on the woman sitting sipping coffee at the back of the diner.

“Hey darlin’,” Logan slid into the booth next to her and leaned over to give her a quick kiss over her hair, “Been waitin’ long?”

“No,” Rogue glanced at the clock then at him with a grin, “About half an hour. What happened?”

“Didn’t take me hours to get the part,” Logan grunted and glanced at where Holly stood swamped with customers. “I’m gonna go grab a coffee, you want a refill?”

“Sure sugar,” Rogue smiled at him as he took her cup and walked away.

“Hey Holly,” Logan greeted the woman even as he slid behind the counter and poured two cups of coffee, “Just grabbing a coffee.”

“No problem,” Holly replied even as the bell dinged and she glanced at Bart with a dark look. “Be right there.”

“When you’re finished is fine.”

Without looking at the others, Logan carried the coffee back to the table and settled next to Rogue, “So you didn’t want to stay for the whole ‘let’s carve the turkey and simper about it’ routine?”

“No,” Rogue laughed softly, “They’d never understand what I meant when it was my turn to say what I’m thankful for.”

“And what would that be?” Logan teased, “Cheap diner coffee?”

Elbowing Logan Rogue smirked at him, “Nope, you. Both in front of me and within my mind. I love that we’re a team, that you’re willing to give me the little things as well as the big.”

“What do you mean?” Logan asked a slight frown on his face.

“I mean,” Rogue replied seriously even as she caught Bart step from the kitchen and nod at them, “You’d best go get dinner.”

With a low growl Logan stalked over to where Bart held out two plates, “Thanks.”

“Figured the way the pair of ya live here, you can serve yourself when we’re this busy,” Bart grumbled. “You want anything else with that?”

Glancing down at the traditional turkey dinner on the plate Logan shook his head, “No, looks like you got everything.”

“Happy Thanksgiving.”

Logan nodded and headed back to the table, “You were saying,” he prompted.

“You’ve given me life. You touch me and I don’t mean like anyone else does either. The rest of the geeks all spend their time trying to figure out a way to touch me without actually doing it. You just touch me, you hold me; hug me, that’s a big thing for me.”

“What’s a small thing?” Logan asked cutting into the hot turkey smothered in gravy.

“This is a small thing,” Rogue replied pointing at their plates, “You give me a holiday in a roadside diner that somehow means more to me than being surrounded by wealth and class, and no understanding. You accept that I need more than fancy clothes and an impressive roof over my head.”

“I’ve also given you nightmares, stabbed you..” Logan pointed out only to stop at her dark look.

”You’ve never hurt me,” Rogue replied seriously. “You’ve never looked at me and saw something to be used, something to be beaten. Yes you stabbed me, but you also let me take some of your healing power and you healed me. You did that when you didn’t have to.”

“Yeah I did,” Logan replied seriously as he shrugged, “I loved you even then, I couldn’t stand the thought that I had killed you.”

“Even that is something that you’ve managed to make into a good thing. Sure the nightmares are crappy, but they’ve given us this. A place where we can be together and talk, or laugh, or dance without having to worry about Scott complaining, or Jean trying to get you to notice her, or one of my friends hinting that I should hook up with Remy. Oh no Logan, you’ve given me many things, some not so big, some huge, but they’ve all got one thing in common,” Rogue smiled softly, lovingly, “They all have you in common.”

“Right back atcha,” Logan whispered softly, squeezing her hand, “I’d give anything to keep you around. Even if it meant death.”

Rogue nodded and squeezed his hand back, “I know. That’s what makes me so thankful. Now eat.”

Grinning Logan nodded and nudged her with his shoulder, she was right. They had a lot to be thankful for, and most of it was because of the other one’s presence in their life.