For the first time in a year Holly was actually looking forward to closing down for a couple of hours. They’d completed their weekly inventory and had only to finish the dish inventory.

Glancing up at the roar of an engine she smiled softly. It appeared Logan was in the area if the single headlight was any indication. Grabbing a cup of coffee she headed to the usual booth the gruff Canadian sat in to wait for his girl before slipping soundlessly into the kitchen.

“You’re gonna have to tell him we’re doing inventory,” Bart declared meeting his wife’s eyes seriously.

“Inventory, sminventory,” Holly retorted. “This is true love we’re talkin’ about. Besides, it ain’t like I mind having him and Rogue in here while we’re doing this. We’ll just lock the door and let ‘em sit there and talk. Neither one of ‘em is what you’d call troublemakers around here.”

Bart shook his head at his wife’s words but refrained from comment. After all, his wife did have a point. With the exception of the odd dance in the aisle Rogue and Logan sat in the booth all night without any problems.

With a snort he realized that Holly would let the young couple stay, even while they did the inventory. Grabbing a cup of coffee Bart headed back to his dish count, not entirely convinced that his wife was of a sound mind.

“Evening Holly,” Logan drawled as he walked through the door.

“Hey Logan, how’s it going?” Holly smiled at him.

“Okay I guess,” Logan shrugged, “Boss is got a big dance going on.”

“So what are you doing here?”

“Waiting to dance with my girl,” Logan replied with a grin as he glanced around. “You look dead tonight.”

“The one night a year we’re dead,” Holly nodded. “We’re in the process of doing inventory.”

“You want me to leave?” Logan didn’t sound happy at the thought and Holly hid her smile.

“Long as you don’t mind eatin’ pie or a sandwich no. Besides, it ain’t like you’re a particularly rowdy customer.”

Logan chuckled and sat down in his seat,” There are those who disagree with you.”

“Yeah? Who cares, disagreements are the spice of life,” Holly retorted with a wink, “Looks like your girl’s here. I’ll get another coffee.”

“Thanks,” Logan drawled watching the truck roll to a stop and Rogue slip out into the evening air. She walked toward the door, a mulish expression on her face even as Logan hid a smile at the long, formal dress that hugged her curves.

Glancing down at his attire, Logan waited for her to settle down next to him before wrapping and arm around her shoulders, “I take it you weren’t too interested in dancing the night away with Remy?”

Rogue shuddered, “What a joke? Why on earth would the Professor think I’m interested in Remy? I mean he’s about as smooth as an oil slick,” Rogue griped.

“Well since we’ve got this place to ourselves, what do you say we have our own little party?” Logan whispered softly, easily.

“What do you mean?” Rogue asked as she glanced around. She caught Holly moving away from the door and frowned even as her head jerked around to stare at Logan.

“The diner’s closed tonight. Holly said they’re doing inventory so we’re on our own. Since you don’t get to dance at those boring socials the Prof holds we’ll do it here.”

Rogue grinned, “Really? You wouldn’t mind? I don’t have any gloves or anything..”

“Got all the protection I need,” Logan held up a leather encased hand and smiled at her. “Besides, it’s just us.”

Rogue smiled softly even as Logan nudged her and she slid out of the booth to rise to her feet followed rather quickly by Logan who moved past her to the jukebox and the evening’s entertainment. The slow, steady hum of an old country song filled the empty diner and Logan held out his hand.

“It ain’t fancy but it’s us,” he whispered softly as she moved into his arms. “Dance with me?”

“Forever,” Rogue promised as she moved into his arms and began moving to the tune playing. Humming softly she glanced up as her hands moved over his shoulders to lock behind his neck, her fingers buried in his hair. “I’m glad you asked me to dance.”

Logan smiled and pulled her closer, his arms wrapped around her waist as he buried his face in her hair, “I’m glad you said yes.”

Rogue giggled softly and moved a little closer to him, “Anytime.”


From the order window Holly watched the pair dancing to the slow throb of Don Williams and smiled, “Reminds me of us. Course we had our share of problems but somehow we made it work.”

“Those kids’ll make it work,” Bart drawled easily. “They’ve got love, and time on their side.”

“Romantic.”

Laughing softly Bart whirled her around and into his arms, “Yeah but you love it and you know it. Now get to work woman, you’re supposed to be counting not watching two young lovers dance the night away.”

Chuckling Holly returned her attention to the cups in front of her, she could do this and still watch love unfold. Glancing up she smiled softly as Logan pulled Rogue a little closer, their bodies swaying to the music, soft smiles on both their faces. It looked like they were both at peace, at least for the moment.