Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is rated R for adult situations.
Chapter One - The Beginning of the End

Rogue lay broken and bleeding on the cold cement floor as her eyes slowly opened to her surroundings. Her breathing was hard and ragged, her lungs burning with each breath she took. It felt like a heavy weight pressed down onto her chest, denying her oxygen that she so desperately needed. She felt a warm liquid flow into her right eye and she quickly wiped it away before pressing the palms of her hand on the pavement in an effort to lift herself up. She stood on shaky legs as she viewed the area, noting she was in some sort of parking garage; her car parked just inches from her. The memory of what happened slowly took over her mind causing her to bring a shaking hand to her mouth, tears filling her eyes.

She had been attacked by a group of thugs while leaving the library late at night. She remembered hearing the scuffle of feet behind her and tried to stay calm as she sped up her pace, trying to get to her car as fast as she could without running. She had just pulled out her keys when she was grabbed from behind; being held with her arms pinned behind her back as others beat on her.

Rogue had to lean on the trunk of her car for support as another memory surfaced, causing her to lose her stomach lining. She remembered being pinned down on the cold cement as they tore at her clothes; each taking turns violating her. She could now feel the dull ache that lingered between her legs as more tears fell down her face and she allowed her legs to buckle, sending her to the cold floor below.

She hugged her legs to her chest and rocked her body, the desire to die growing in her heart. She had so desperately wanted to be able to touch and so she got the cure, but now she regretted it. If she still had her power this never would’ve happened and they would’ve learned not to mess with a mutant, but that didn’t change the fact she was human now and this had happened to her and she had never felt more alone; even when she was an outcast among outcasts.

She had no one. Ever since she left the mansion she didn’t keep in touch with anyone there, the professor was dead and Logan had left soon after the events at Alcatraz. It had been almost a year now and she hadn’t met anyone she really connected with, of course there were those acquaintances at work and school, but no one she hung out with in public.

After what seemed like hours of sitting by her car, she finally decided she needed to get to a hospital. So after much searching, she finally found the keys hiding under her car right beneath the driver’s seat. After unlocking the door, she climbed in and inserted the key in the ignition with a shaky hand. Taking in a deep breath, she put it in reverse and left the garage; heading to the nearest hospital she could think of.

******

As she pulled into the parking lot, she glanced into the review mirror, noticing her white streaks where a nice shade of red; undoubtedly from her own blood. Stumbling into the waiting area of the first floor, she felt like every head turned to her; their gasps making their way to her ears. She must’ve looked worse than she originally thought, that being the last thought flowing through her mind before collapsing from exhaustion to the floor.

******

Rogue awoke to the small beeping sound coming from the right of her, the bright florescent light above sending a small surge of pain through her head. She scanned her surroundings as she ignored the pain pounding against her skull and realized she was in a hospital room. She just wanted to get patched up; she didn’t want to be placed in a bed with machines attached to every body part possible. She turned her head to the door as she heard the doctor come in, his white lab coat flowing behind him as he looked through her chart.

“You’re awake. That’s good to see,” he said when looking at the paperwork.

“Can I leave now,” she asked in response. She just wanted to forget this whole thing ever happened.

“Well, you seem to be checking out okay, but we were hoping you’d be willing to give us a rape kit,” the doctor replied.

“I… I don’t know if I can. I… I just want to forget about this whole thing,” Rogue replied as she fought back the tears that screamed to fall.

“We’ve got a couple of detectives waiting just outside the room who are a little more than anxious to catch whoever did this to you and that kit will help,” the doctor explained to her in hopes of getting her cooperation.

“Will it hurt?”

“No. They’re just going to look for evidence and take a few pictures of you.”

Rogue allowed her eyes to wander around the room as she made her decision; she really wanted those thugs caught and to receive what they had coming to them, but she also just wanted leave the whole thing behind. She looked up at the doctor and slowly nodded her head at him, this was the only way to catch them and she was not going to allow it to happen to someone else.

******

There was one question that burned in the back of her mind and she knew that no one had the answer to it. She wanted to know why they didn’t kill her. Why they had allowed her to live after the crime they had committed on her, surely anyone would want to get rid of any evidence. Unless there was something that kept them from finishing the job, which being in a parking lot could have been very likely.

After hours of being poked, prodded and blinded by the flash of a camera Rogue was now back in bed. The doctor had given her a pill to take, being procedure to eliminate any life that may be growing inside her after a rape occurred. The detectives asked her numerous questions and many of her answers were ‘she didn’t know’. She didn’t know why they attacked her, why they raped her and didn’t know why it had to happen to her. She felt horrible wishing it on someone else, but she couldn’t get the events out of her mind. Every time she tried to sleep it would haunt her, causing her to sit up in a cold sweat; tears streaming down her red cheeks.

As Rogue stared out the window at the few puffs of clouds floating in the sky, the doctor came in once again with that chart. Sitting down in a chair next to her, he folded his hands together before speaking.

“Do you have anyone we can contact?”

Rogue turned her attention to him, keeping silent for a moment before turning her head to the window once again; opening her mouth to speak she said, “there’s only one place. But I haven’t seen them for almost a year.”

“Well, I’m sure they would want to know you’re here in a hospital,” the doctor spoke softly, not wanting to aggravate the fragile girl lying before him.

“There’s no one there who would care.”

“I’m finding that very doubtful. Do you have a number I can call?”

Rogue looked at him with a blank expression before nodding her head. He gave her a pen and paper so she could write down the number to the school. She wasn’t expecting anyone to come see her. Why would they? She had basically washed her hands of that place and never spoke to them again; she wouldn’t blame them if they never wanted to see her again.

******

The doctor listened to the ringing on the other end as he waited for someone to pick up. After the fourth ring, he was about to hang up when he heard a gruff voice on the other end, and whoever it belonged to didn’t sound very happy.

“This better be important, bub.”

“Is this the school for gifted youngsters in Westchester?”

“Yeah, who’s this,” the voice demanded.

“My name is Dr. Johnson and I’m calling about a young girl we have here. There’s been a bit of an incident and we need someone here for her. She’s going through a rough time and she needs a familiar face.”

“Who?”

“Well, she’s a Jane Doe at the moment. She came in with only her car keys, no purse and no ID.”

“I’ll be there right away,” the voice said before hanging up.

Dr. Johnson slowly placed the receiver back in its cradle before rubbing his forehead. This was the worst rape case he ever had and it was taking its toll on him. The girl seemed to be closing herself off to the world around her and it was going to take a miracle to open up that door.

******

Logan turned the bike into the parking lot and parked it just in front of the doors. As he entered the building he could smell the musk of death and illness. He hated these places, they always invaded his senses; especially his nose. Logan walked up to the front counter and looked at the nurse sitting in front of him.

“Can I help you sir,” she asked with a small smile. Logan could tell working at the hospital wasn’t easy for the girl, but she tried to hide her tiredness behind a smile.

“A Dr. Johnson called me earlier. He said you had a Jane Doe here.”

“You must be the man I talked to earlier. I’m Dr. Johnson,” the doctor interrupted as he rounded a corner; he stuck his hand out in introduction and Logan took it; shaking it lightly.

“Logan.”

“If you’d follow me, I’ll show you her room,” Dr. Johnson said as he turned to lead Logan to Rogue.

As Logan entered the room his feet stumbled as he saw who lay in the bed. Broken and beaten he just stared at his Marie, who stared at nothing but clouds as they drifted past. He took a few steps towards her as he fought the tears that yearned to be freed from their lidded prison. Logan sat in the chair next to her and placed his hand on hers, flinching when she quickly withdrew from him without even looking at who touched her. She curled herself up into a fetal position as she continued to stare out at the blue and white sky.

“Marie,” Logan spoke in barely a whisper.

Her head turned slightly at the sound of his voice, but she retreated back into herself as if he wasn’t even there. Logan felt helpless; if only he hadn’t left then maybe this wouldn’t have happened to her.

He was outraged to come home after months on the road to find his Marie gone. She was the main reason for his return, he wanted nothing more than to take her in his arms and keep her there forever. His reason for leaving wasn’t what everyone thought, they all thought he left because there were too many memories of Jean there that it was driving him crazy. Truth be told, it was the thought of Marie being touchable and he wasn’t sure he’d be able to keep his hands to himself.

But now, now she was back to being untouchable. Something had happened to her that Logan was not yet aware of to make her hate the feel of someone else’s skin on hers, and Logan could feel the anger rise in his chest at what that could possibly be. Turning to look at the doctor, Logan stood from his spot in the chair to stand mere inches from the doctor.

“What happened,” he asked gruffly, his hands in fists as he fought back the claws pressing ever so slightly against his flesh.

“I think you should come to my office.”