Author's Chapter Notes:
Losts of errors, I'm sure. Sorry. :S
Warmth soaked into his shoulder, relaxing the stiff muscles. Involuntarily he turned towards it, stretching his bouldering limbs until his knuckles knocked against the window. Claustrophobia instantly ran through his system and he panicked, the claws coming out as he jerked awake. Expecting to see nothing but dull grey, he was momentarily disoriented by the rocky, blond plains moving in a blur.

“Geez! Nice shootin’, tex!”

The sarcastic voice with the thick drawl brought him back reality. Then he registered the extra weight at the end of this claws. The girl. He turned to look and grunted when it wasn’t her they were run through. Shaking his head he tried to steady his beating heart, two shocked in as many seconds was too much to wake up to.

Wait. Wake up? When the hell had he fallen asleep? His body must have been in worse shape then he thought, because there was no way he’d fallen asleep by choice anywhere near her.

“Ah hoped it at leas’ shocked ya ass,” she hissed, randomly pressing buttons. Tiny sparks sprang up from the exposed blue wires but she didn’t flinch when they landed on her glove. She was alternating between looking at the road and the now completely shattered center console, mumbling so quietly that combined with her accent even he couldn’t pick it up.

He choose to ignore the few choice words he could make out from her ranting but made a mental note to piss her off more often. At least when she was mad she didn’t fucking giggle. “Where the fuck are we?”

“Montana. Itsa emptah as a whore house on Sunday so ah figure ah should be able at see someone comin’. Ya know, like ya not so nice little friends that miss ya so.” She did it. She giggled. That low, unnerving sound grated against his already sensitive nerves.

“Montana? How the hell did you get across the border?” It was fucked up enough that he actually feel asleep with her but there was no way he wouldn’t have woken up crossing the border. The border patrol should have asked for his papers, or searched the car. Something. They don’t just let you try across with the back window shot out waving at you.

“Tha same way ah always do. Ya might as well go back ta sleep, ain’t no place to stop for a while.”

He was not about to trust her that easily. Especially not with the god damn vague answers she kept giving him. They were only slightly less annoying than that fucking giggle. She might not have done anything while he was asleep before, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t going to. Shit, for all he knew she did do something. That thought reminded him and he quickly looked down to the floorboard. A loud sigh of relief came out when he saw the knife still laying there, the blood on it completely dry.

He saw her head snap around to face him from the corner of his eye when he bent down to pick it up. He leveled his eyes with hers, challenging her as he slid it into his boot and then flatten his jean pant over it. When he straightened back in his chair his judging eyes stayed on her, the air in the small space made it feel even more confined, especially compared to their surroundings. She just shocked her head at him and turned back to the road.

“How long have I been asleep?” He ran a mental check over his body. He felt alright, just a little tired and groggy. But it could take hours to effect him if she poisoned him or something…

“Ah dunno, Wolvie, tha clock was on tha radio ya felt tha need at shred ta hell. Probably ‘bout four hours, though.”

“Don’t call me that,” He snarled, his eyes glued to the claws that came out the second the word left her mouth. It didn’t matter that it was grinning, supple lips that it passed through instead of cracked thin ones, it still made it feel like the admantium inside constrict tighter around his bones. And her incessant giggle deformed into cold, high-society laughter in his ears.

She only giggled more, obviously entertained by his reaction. Her face slowly softened as her eyes moved over the claws, then his face. Finally her giggling stopped. “Alright, sugah. No more ‘Wolvie’, whateva ya want. Hell, ah’ll call ya tha King a Peru if ya want.”

“Peru doesn’t have a king.”

“Would ya like to be it?” She looked at him, both their faces completely serious despite the ridiculousness of the conversation.

“No, I wouldn’t. Logan will be fine.”

“Is it because its Peru? If it were England or, ah dunno, Monaco, would ya want tha title then? Oh! Fiji, ya could be tha King a Fiji! That’d be cool.”

He waited for the giggle, but it didn’t come. She was leaning her head against the window, one arm lazily stretched out over the top of the steering wheel. The baby face that had kept him from throwing her to Them last night didn’t look so young or innocent in the harsh morning light, hurting the ’brat’ image he had of her in his head. Well, except for the King of Fiji discussion, that was more than a little juvenile.

“Just Logan.”

“Hmm.. Yeah, ya right. ‘King Logan a Fiji’ is a bit wordy. Though ah’ve heard worse.”

“Yeah? What was the name of the guy you stole this car from?” He hadn’t mean to call her out on it, not now anyway. Not when they were alone in the middle of nowhere. It just slipped from his mouth before his brain could filter it.

“Fuck ya. It’s mah car,” she answered, but her voice was flat and dull.

“The hell it is,” he snapped and reached around behind his seat. “This car doesn’t smell anymore like you than it does me.” He threw the shirt on her lap and still she didn’t look at him or even lift her head off the window. He waited for her to negate the accusation but she sat silent. Well, at least plan ‘piss-her-off-and-kill-the-giggling’ worked.

“Did you at least leave him somewhere decent before you swiped his wheels? Or’d ya just drop him out in the middle of fucking nowhere?” It wasn’t that he gave a shit about the guy, just wondered what his future looked like. Whoever ’Rally Tire’ dude was, he was probably her last ’project’.

Evidently she was unconvinced by his concern for the man, as she remained quiet. Slowly she moved her free hand that wasn’t on the wheel along her hair and moved it off her neck and over her shoulder. He sat stunned watching the movement, his eyes locked onto the contrast of the filthy blue glove on the pristine and pale skin of her neck.

Just behind her hand was a brown smug that he could just make out of from the corner of his eye. Lazily he looked at it then back to her. Suddenly his brain processed the image and his eyes bugged open.

“Buffalo!” His warning came to late and she could only jump in surprise and scream, her foot trying to embed the brake into the floor of the car.






How he could see his surroundings spin without his eyes open was beyond him. Hard surface was beneath him, its tooth edges digging into his skin and kept him from moving. The pain throbbed in his head, the worst definitely was his nose being crushed against his face. He tried to ignore it by concentrating on the sound of his blood pumping and the internal melody of his mutation kicking into overdrive. But then clicking in sets of twos overrode it and he swore in his head.

“Ohmahgawd! Ah am SO sorry!” He felt her hand lay lightly on his back and groaned. Sure, she was sorry. The crazy bitch didn’t even ask if he was alright.

“Didya need help turnin’ over..? Come on, that asphalt can’t smell that good, sugah.” She was cracking jokes? She fucking smashes his brain on the road and then cracks jokes about it?

He waited till he was sure all wounds were closed before turning over onto his backing, groaning loudly. Opening his eyes she completely encompassed his vision. He was momentarily startled by how she looked, kneeled beside him, sunlight beaming from behind her dark flowing hair, it would have been the definition of angelic. If she hadn’t been also biting her lip and obviously trying to fight back her fucking giggles.

He pushed her a little bit away from him to sit up and out of his own blood smeared on the street. His vision blurred and he clenched his eyes shut and willing the churning of his stomach to stop. When he opened them he could see the car a few feet behind her. The front window completely smashed out from his body rocketing through it. But what he did wasn’t nearly as bad as the damage to the nose of the car, it was completely mangled. A large brown mass laid beside it, and he wanted to tell the beast he knew how it felt.

“Is it dead?”

“What?” She narrowed her eyes at him, completely confused. When she noticed he was looking behind her, she turned and saw the animal and then faced him again.

“Of course its dead, ya moron. Ah fuckin’ hit it at 120mph! Ya lucky ya ain’t dead too.”

“Not for you tryin’ though, right darlin’?” He hissed at her and forced his body to his feet. He wobbled slightly, the blood inside him still righting itself.

“Hey asswipe!” She jumped up and shoved his shoulder, making his unsteady body wobble even more. “Ah didn’t have nothin’ ta do with it! Ya decided ta not wear a seatbelt all on ya damn own!”

Shaking his head he managed to steady himself, but made sure he was well at arms reached away from her just in case. “Yeah, well, I gotta say, kid. You’re the worst fucking ‘guardian angel’ that’s ever been sent down. Or up in your case.”

She stuck her tongue out at him, her hands landed on her hips. “Maybe ah’m about all ya deserve!”

“Stalin wouldn’t deserve you!”

She snorted, her lips turning up into a smile. “Jus’ get ya ungrateful ass back in tha car. So we can find some fuckin’ civilization.” She turned around before he could answer and made her way back towards the drivers side door. He cringed when she jumped over the carcass of the buffalo, god damn fucking giggling. The girl deserved to be fucking stabbed.

Storming over to her he grabbed her arm before she could shut the door and hauled her out of the car.

“Hey!”

“I’m fucking driving.” He sneered and pushed her out of the way so he could get it. But she stopped the door with her body before he could shut it.

“It’s mah car!”

The claws sprang from the hand on the door. She barely managed to jump back before they went through her stomach. Her eyes went wide and she huffed at him, but he just winked at her and shut the door.

“Cut the crap, we both know it ain’t your car. Now get in before I leave your ass here.” She stuck her tongue out of him and but marched toward the back of the car. He turned the keys in the ignition and let his head fall against the steering wheel in relief. It started.

The other door was loudly shut so hard it shook the now rickety car and he looked over to see her cross her arms over her chest. “Ah don’t see why ah can’t drive.”

He wanted to giggle himself when her bottom lip jutted out in a pout. But he was the Wolverine so he settled for a smirk. “Because, enough things have suffered because of you.”

“So ah killed one damn buffalo! Both windshields and tha radio are completely ya fault!!”