Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so proud of myself! Three chapters in two days. *g* My economics paper isn't done yet, but....priorities, right? :D


Again, forgive errors please.
Bullets ricocheted off the corner of the building, making tiny pieces of mortar and stucco rain down on them.

“Damn, they ain’t screwin’ around with you.”

He snarled at the giggle in the girl’s voice. The pounding footsteps of heavy boots stopped echoing in his ears, which meant they were just around the other side of the wall.

He risked the distraction of looking at the girl again. Baby cheeks, pouty lips, and wide eyes glared at him, silently challenging him, calm in the middle of the increasing war zone. If he threw her at them and they helped her out it’d prove she was one of them. Then again, if she wasn’t he’d be signing her death warrant. Not that he cared.

Swearing at himself he threw her into the multitude of trash bags and cans that were piled against the wall. The massive accumulation of garbage visibly swallowed her whole. Much to his satisfaction she remained immobile and covered.


As soon as he stepped into the tar colored light three bullets tore into his abdomen. Their entry wounds healed instantly but the tiny chunks of metal bounced off the adamantium inside, ripping random paths through his organs before finally making an exit wound.

Six of them charged him. Them. Their faces were painted out black to match their full body gear, their eyes covered. They happily personified his dark past for him. And now it was literally barreling down on him.

He buried his claws into the first two faceless demons that reached him, basking in the reward of the ’squish’ of the sharp weapons sliding effortlessly through vital tissue.

It ended up being a mistake, not something he did often. The pack swallowing him pushed the leaking bodies against him, making his claws uselessly sheathed in the bodies of their easily forgotten comrades.

Left with only being able to shove at the black moving walls pushing tighter to him he could only flinch when a thick blade was shoved into his side. The tip collided with an enhanced rib sending vibrations through his metallic skeleton, intensifying the pain.

Using the bodies at the end of his arms to slam into and knock down two more of them was a little victory. He didn’t realize he left his back completely unguarded until a taser was rammed into it. Throwing his head back he screamed as his body convulsed from the electricity frying his insides.

The crippling attack finally forced him to his knees. Even his claws admitted defeat and agonizingly retreated back into his arms to hide. He tried to focus on the pattern of the concrete but the image was distorted from the drops of sweat clinging to his eyelashes.

Sweat. That’s what he told himself. He couldn’t go back. He couldn’t go back. He couldn’t fucking go back. Sweat. Fuck, he couldn’t get off the damn ground. They deprived his body of sleep then finished beating it into submission. They had managed to ridden him useless to himself. Again. Sweat…

A vice grip in his hair forced his head up. Two black devils swayed in front of him. At least, they looked like they were swaying. Through his fog he could barely make out a charging taser hovering in front of one of them, although the malicious grins shone brightly out of the darkness. He shut his eyes to make them go away, the only way he could at that point.

`````````````

Suddenly the stilled gunshots roared back into life, seemingly in more abundance than before. What the fuck were they shooting at? They fucking had him.

He forced his eyes open, either curiosity or stupidity giving him the strength. But the black mass wasn’t there. Just a girl kneeling in front of him over the bodies of two of his demons, fidgeting to frantically secure her gloves back over her hands.

She looked so out of place in the death laced atmosphere to him, but besides flinching as debris from bullet collisions bombarded around them, she still didn’t smell afraid.

“Are we fuckin’ done here yet, sugah, or there a recipe ya wantin’ ta get from these guys?” She hissed at him and wrapped her small hands around his massive shoulder, once again uselessly trying to haul his mass with her much smaller one.

He wanted to laugh at her. With each pitiful tug on his arm she looked more and more like a frustrated little girl. He was tempted to sit there and watch her keep trying to lift him and wondered how long she would try till she finally gave up and left him there.

“Get tha fuck up! Ah can‘t---AHH!” She dropped her grip on him to lay her hand over the fresh cut on her forearm from one of the bullets grazing her. But she just swore again before pulling harder on him.

It dawned on him that she was not going to leave him there. And suddenly her standing out in the open of a firing range trying to lift his ass wasn’t very funny anymore.


Forcing the metal in his body to work for him for once he got back to his feet and shoved her in front of him towards the back of the building. He was rewarded with five bullets immediately embedding into his back but concentrated on pushing the girl and making his legs run.

He was about to turn towards his truck when his jacket was once again grabbed and he was dragged further into the back, out of the tar light and into the moonlight.

“That one!” She yelled, pointing to a candy-apple mustang parked in the unloading entrance. Too wiped to fight her he just nodded urged his body on the extra distance.

At the door he shielded her body with his as he leaned against the car, it and his stiff arm being the only thing holding him up. Shoving her scarf out of her way she pulled a ‘Big Boy’ key-ring out of the deep-v of her top. She bit her lip and shifted through the keys four times before she finally decided on one.

Shoving in into the hole she breathed out when it turned and jerked the door open. Stopping with one foot in the car she turned and smirked at him. “Ya sure ya don’t want that recipe?”

“Get the fuck in the car, kid.” He growled and shoved her the rest of the way in. She giggled when she turned the ignition and revived the engines up and he slammed the door shut on her in response. Pulling the passenger side door open he shook his head, briefly considering the idea that he was probably safer with them then getting in that car. The damn woman must be psychotic or something.

Just as he got in a bullet scattered the back glass and they both ducked down at the same time. She hit the gas without so much as looking up, her high pitched shriek matched the wheels’ on the pavement. He was barely able to shut his door before it was ripped off by one of the guide poles.